VOGONS

First post, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am going to buy a microdrive, it seems a lot of them were pulled from iPod.

Just want to know if I can still use these microdrive from iPod in retro PC?
If they are different, can I somehow update the firmware and change them to retail version?

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 5, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sangokushi wrote on 2023-06-23, 18:46:
I am going to buy a microdrive, it seems a lot of them were pulled from iPod. […]
Show full quote

I am going to buy a microdrive, it seems a lot of them were pulled from iPod.

Just want to know if I can still use these microdrive from iPod in retro PC?
If they are different, can I somehow update the firmware and change them to retail version?

Thanks.

I have two IBM 1GB with the PCMCIA adapter. They are a wonderful piece of engineering. I keep them mostly because i always wanted to have one since they came out.

But performances are not great.
Barely usable as a main hard drive.
Industrial flash based CF cards tends to perform better.

Phil's video about microdrives as main hard drive.
https://youtu.be/YvDfqjBUCA8

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 3 of 5, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About the usability take note that the microdrive stopped the disc after one second of no access it, every time it spin-up the disk causing an huge lag every time you ask for a written o reader on the disc. is ok for a system very very old, i used it on the amiga that load the game in ram and not use the microdrive anymore.

Reply 4 of 5, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are indeed some crippled OEM microdrives from when an iPod Mini (yes, the one by Apple!!!) and comparable products were cheaper than a retail disk, but IIRC the difference is that they got rid of CF modes - full IDE mode used by mechanical adapters works fine since, well, that's what the HDD iPods use* 😀

* except for some of the 6.5G Classics - they have a funny/failed "CE-ATA" disk interface, but they can still use plain IDE ones if you replace the cable with the right kind