VOGONS

First post, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I have ~15 retro PCs, and none work 100%, always with different bugs. Today I wanted to ask about the Biostar M5ALA board borrowed from a friend. It starts as soon as you flip the 0/1 switch on the power supply.
The PC can then be shut down normally and then reacts normally to the start button on the case. Harmless but annoying. The problem exists with different power supplies, and there is no BIOS option that could affect the start behavior. Do you know this problem? Does that indicate a defect? Almost forgot that I just updated the BIOS to the latest version, but no change.

Thanks as always, and maybe I'll start a collection thread for all my problem PCs. 😉

Reply 2 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Haki26 wrote on 2023-06-27, 07:27:

Maybe I misread what you wrote, but I didn't understand what problem that motherboard gives you.

His PC starts as soon as the PSU switch is turned on, without waiting for the case switch.

I've seen other early ATX boards exhibit this behavior as well, some actually get juice from the PSU and spin the fans but don't POST.

If someone could clarify why this happens I'd be grateful. I'd be inclined to say it's an out of spec PSU issue but the same issue does not exhibit the problem with other boards in my experience. Some boards just get excited when the PSU is switched on..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 3, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First, sorry my english isnt goog enough, so i have to use the google translater most of the time. Which has some problem translating old computer things.

His PC starts as soon as the PSU switch is turned on, without waiting for the case switch.

Exactly.

I've seen other early ATX boards exhibit this behavior as well, some actually get juice from the PSU and spin the fans but don't POST.

Dont know when and which board ist was, but i had this problem before. Another PSU fixed the problem.
I also entcountered the near boot start problem a few time, but yep normally only the fans are spinning for 1-2 seconds.

I thought maybe the pin 16 (PS_ON) of ATX connector is broken or something.^^ It starts even without the case switch.
So only the psu and the board are left.

But everything is working. The Board feels a bit slower compared to my other SS7 board (Tyan S1590S). The secondary IDE channel DMA is not working with the optical drive, and there was a
major short circuit with onboard USB because of the missing i/o shield. But the starting problem appeared since the first day, long before that.

The board is on permanent loan from a friend who also had this problem, which is probably why he got it so cheap.