VOGONS

First post, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've recently gotten a PCChips M715 board. This is an AT Slot 1 440LX board, with the notable feature of having a CMI8330 SB16 clone IC on board, for pretty dang good built-in audio.
The only thing is that this board (and other PCChips boards with the same audio chip, I believe) has a rather non-standard header for an included Line-In/Mic-In/Audio-Out + GamePort bracket.

Screenshot_20230627_090524.png
Filename
Screenshot_20230627_090524.png
File size
832.13 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Of course, I don't have this bracket, so at this moment I can't really make use of the chip yet.
Before I go through the hassle of trying to map out the pins myself, does anyone happen to have the pinout on hand?

Or maybe someone has the bracket and could map it out with that?
That'd sure be way less hassle than trying to map it out from the chip itself, which is seemingly the only way I can do it at the moment.

With the pinout in hand, I could potentially try designing a plug in board that would add wavetable header capability to the board.
If I manage to design that, it'll be open source, so the few of us with these wonderfully quirky boards can give them a nice feature upgrade.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 1 of 5, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This looks to have the keying pin in the same place, and there are enough pictures to get the pinout, so might be a useful starting point to check:
https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/ques … me-ribbon-cable

[edit to add what might be the pinout from those pictures:

Gameport
Header D-sub | Header Audio
-----------------------------------------
1 9 +5V | 17 Line In L?
2 1 +5V | 18 Line In R?
3 10 B1 | 19 AGND
4 2 A1 | 20 AGND
5 11 BX | 21 Mic L?
6 3 AX | 22 Mic R?
7 12 RxD | 23(NC)
8 4 GND | 24 AGND
9 13 BY | 25 Line Out L?
10 5 GND | 26 Line Out R?
11 14 B2 |
12 6 AY |
13 15 TxD |
14 7 A2 |
15(Key) --------- |
16 8 +5V |
Last edited by snufkin on 2023-06-27, 09:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2023-06-27, 08:18:

This looks to have the keying pin in the same place, and there are enough pictures to get the pinout, so might be a useful starting point to check:
https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/ques … me-ribbon-cable

Thanks! That's another PCChips board with CMI8330 onboard audio of the same era, so it's unlikely that the pinout would be any different.
That should definitely make things quite a bit easier to figure out.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 5 of 5, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't really checked out the pinout but with the particular missing key pin sure looks like the same as thePC Chips M577.
I do have the bracket (two actually) but don't have the time to check it at the moment.

Stuck at 10MHz...