VOGONS

First post, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there!

The Super Socket 7 is considered extremely versatile, also because you can change the CPU speed to various ranges and disable the cache to make it even slower.
In addition it got ISA slots which also keep DOS builds compatible. With that versatility SS7 boards can be used for Games released 1990 or before, but even for those released in 1997 and later. But at that point it starts to fall apart (e.g. Unreal from 1998 or Ultima from 1999 not getting enough CPU power, slowing it down, no matter the used graphics card).

I am currently using a K6-II which can switch between 167Mhz (2.5x multiplier 66Mhz Bus Speed) and its usual 500 Mhz (100Mhz Bus Speed and 5x Multiplier). I know that there is also a 550mhz (5.5x 100Mhz).
All the Speeds work with the same voltage.

I am wondering if there are any other CPUs and platforms, maybe Slot 1 or others, which have a higher range. Like is there any 1Ghz CPU which you could in theory also run on 150Mhz by just jumpering or changing some BIOS settings?

Edit: I adjusted the Post and topic to more reflect what I was aiming for.

Last edited by Kordanor on 2023-06-29, 17:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For any SS7 (and certain regular Socket 7 motherboards), AMD K6plus CPUs are the best bet with the ability to change the multiplier on the fly thru software from 2.0x to 6.0x (excluding 2.5x). Even better if the motherboard has the option for 50 MHz FSB.

VIA C3 Ezra-T or Nehemiah are Socket 370 CPUs with similar capabilities. Despite being slower than any Intel and AMD CPUs at the same clock frequency, they are more flexible regarding hardware slowdown methods when paired with a suitable motherboard. More info about them here: VIDEO BENCHMARKS (Original title: Settling the VIA C3 performance debate once and for all).

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 12, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know it's far too new, but I've seen the 11th gen i7 in my work laptop idle at 498 MHz and boost to 4.8 GHz - now that's range! Haven't tried, but it could probably be locked to 498MHz by modifying the power plan. It would still be too fast for Wing Commander.

If you want something a little older, I have an unlocked P2-300 that'll cover 133-333MHz. As an added bonus, at 133MHz it actually disables the L2, which makes it feel more like a P75. 😜

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 3 of 12, by DrSwizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kordanor wrote on 2023-06-29, 15:09:

I am wondering if there are any other CPUs, maybe on Slot 1 or others, which have a higher range. Like is there any 1Ghz CPU which you could in theory also run on 150Mhz by just jumpering or changing some BIOS settings?

The AMD FX CPUs can be downclocked to 100MHz and you can also underclock the HT ref. clock to reach 50MHz.

Reply 4 of 12, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-06-29, 15:41:

For any SS7 (and certain regular Socket 7 motherboards), AMD K6plus CPUs are the best bet with the ability to change the multiplier on the fly thru software from 2.0x to 6.0x (excluding 2.5x). Even better if the motherboard has the option for 50 MHz FSB.

VIA C3 Ezra-T or Nehemiah are Socket 370 CPUs with similar capabilities. Despite being slower than any Intel and AMD CPUs at the same clock frequency, they are more flexible regarding hardware slowdown methods when paired with a suitable motherboard. More info about them here: VIDEO BENCHMARKS (Original title: Settling the VIA C3 performance debate once and for all).

Thank you, will have a look at that thread.

Standard Def Steve wrote on 2023-06-29, 15:48:

I know it's far too new, but I've seen the 11th gen i7 in my work laptop idle at 498 MHz and boost to 4.8 GHz - now that's range! Haven't tried, but it could probably be locked to 498MHz by modifying the power plan. It would still be too fast for Wing Commander.

If you want something a little older, I have an unlocked P2-300 that'll cover 133-333MHz. As an added bonus, at 133MHz it actually disables the L2, which makes it feel more like a P75. 😜

Yeah, my question was aimed at retro computing ofc. So the lowest achievable speed should still be in the range of below 200Mhz , and make old games playable with disabling cache for example.
I was mostly wondering because SS7 can handle quite potent graphics cards which it cant really support via the CPU. But if you go faster, can you still also make them as slow as SS7 CPUs can.

Reply 5 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got a 486 board that can trick a Cyrix 5x86 to go all the way down to 2Mhz.

Totally useless for running anything at that speed.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DrSwizz wrote on 2023-06-29, 16:24:

The AMD FX CPUs can be downclocked to 100MHz and you can also underclock the HT ref. clock to reach 50MHz.

The Phenom II should be able to do the same

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 12, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Changed the Topic and the initial post a bit to better reflect what I was aiming for.

leileilol wrote on 2023-06-29, 16:52:

Interesting. I guess you can also disabled cores there?
I suspect that AM2+ will not have any isa slots though and might be problematic to get running native DOS games.

Reply 8 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's more like you have to have support for more than one core, than you need to disable more than one core. So unless you are finding something too fast on a multicore version of NT 3.51 I don't think it's a problem you will run into.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One of these things with a Cyrix MII Lucky Star 5V-1A / 5V-1B review - scaling form XT levels to K6-II levels should go turbo XT to the couple hundred Mhz range where you can get 21st century boards to take over. Need a setmul utility for 1x operation.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kordanor wrote on 2023-06-29, 15:09:

I am wondering if there are any other CPUs and platforms, maybe Slot 1 or others, which have a higher range. Like is there any 1Ghz CPU which you could in theory also run on 150Mhz by just jumpering or changing some BIOS settings?

On capable slot 1 motherboards, with or without slotket socket 370 adapters, the options can be summarized like this:

• Pentium II Deschutes, semi unlocked retail, multiplier range 2.0x to around 5.5x. But practically ranging 133 to around 400MHz. Reboot required for multiplier change through BIOS or Jumpers.
  • Pentium III Coppermine rare engineering sample, unlocked variant, multiplier range 3.0x to around 8.0x. But practically ranging 200 to around 800MHz. Reboot required for multiplier change through BIOS or Jumpers.
  • Pentium III Tualatin rare engineering sample, unlocked variant, multiplier range 4.0x to around 14.0x. But practically ranging 266 to around 1400MHz. Reboot required for multiplier change through BIOS or Jumpers.
  • VIA C3 Ezra(-T) or Nehemiah socket 370 CPU, multiplier range 3.0x or 4.0x to 16.0x. No reboot required.

IMHO if a system cannot downclock to 200MHz, or preferably 133MHz or lower, then the practical retro-game benefit is little.
Above I assume 66MHz FSB as a minimum. Though a few boards can do 50.
Another thing to note is setting Write combining for the LFB, for VESA videomode performance in DOS.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 12, by DrSwizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kordanor wrote on 2023-06-29, 17:07:
Changed the Topic and the initial post a bit to better reflect what I was aiming for. […]
Show full quote

Changed the Topic and the initial post a bit to better reflect what I was aiming for.

leileilol wrote on 2023-06-29, 16:52:

Interesting. I guess you can also disabled cores there?
I suspect that AM2+ will not have any isa slots though and might be problematic to get running native DOS games.

The Phenom II only goes down to 800MHz or something like that.

I dug up some CPU-Z validations I did when I first got a FX-8350; the same CPU above 6GHz and below 50MHz:

https://valid.x86.fr/show_oc.php?id=2651801
https://valid.x86.fr/show_oc.php?id=2623245

😀

Reply 12 of 12, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DrSwizz wrote on 2023-06-29, 19:44:

The Phenom II only goes down to 800MHz or something like that.

This is not true. The Phenom II can have a 0.5x multiplier (with the help of dividers):
Re: CpuSpd - A Hardware Based CPU Speed Control Utility for DOS/Win98 Retro Gaming
So assuming a default 200 MHz base clock it can go as low as 100 MHz.

PH2.png
Filename
PH2.png
File size
30.01 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper