VOGONS

First post, by Snookeroo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings Vogons,

This is my Compaq Presario 2100 laptop. It holds extreme sentimental value to me, as it was the first laptop our family ever had. I've got many fond memories of gaming on it from a young age.

Unfortunately, as you can see from the images, the display has seen better days.

I'm keen to replace the display. I'm pretty sure I found the right one, but I thought I'd post here before I buy, just to be safe.

Does this seem right?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291791298630

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• hp4.jpg
    Filename
    hp4.jpg
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • hp1.jpg
    Filename
    hp1.jpg
    File size
    1.84 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • hp3.jpg
    Filename
    hp3.jpg
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • hp2.jpg
    Filename
    hp2.jpg
    File size
    1.81 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty sure it's just a standard 15" XGA LVDS 20 pin panel.
Disassemble the lid and see what is the panel model. In my experience if the signaling is the same (e.g. LVDS, eDP ecc..) and the pinout matches it will work 99.9 of the time.

You should be able to find a used panel or a complete scrap laptop (I'm thinking of those awful awful Acers with a desktop P4/Celeron and a SiS chipset for example) with a compatible screen for very cheap, much less than the new screen in the link you posted.

Reply 2 of 2, by Snookeroo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
andrea wrote on 2023-07-01, 12:58:

I'm pretty sure it's just a standard 15" XGA LVDS 20 pin panel.
Disassemble the lid and see what is the panel model. In my experience if the signaling is the same (e.g. LVDS, eDP ecc..) and the pinout matches it will work 99.9 of the time.

You should be able to find a used panel or a complete scrap laptop (I'm thinking of those awful awful Acers with a desktop P4/Celeron and a SiS chipset for example) with a compatible screen for very cheap, much less than the new screen in the link you posted.

Thanks for the input there Andrea 😀

I know I could look around and keep an eye out for a parts machine, but to be honest I don't mind paying for the convenience so long as this is the right display.

I'll post here after the replacement is complete. Cheers!