VOGONS

First post, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I've run out of ideas....

System:
I have a 486 pc, with a FIC 486-GAC-2 motherboard.
It is running bios version 3.276GN1
Board has a single IDE header

I am using a CF adapter board with a CF card as a hard drive. This is connected at the end of the IDE cable, and jumpered as Master.

I want to connect an optical drive on the same cable, using the middle connector, jumpered as Slave.

Using a 512MB CF card, the PC boots OK.
Using a 1GB card, the PC boots OK.
Using a 512MB card and an optical drive, the PC boots OK.
Using a 1GBB card and an optical drive, the PC gets stuck just after counting memory, right before you normally hear the floppy drive seek. NOK.

So the only thing I change, is the size of the card, and it refuses to boot.
If I am quick, I can still get in to the bios, but when doing the disk detect, it freezes trying to find C.

Notes: when switching cards, I am setting the geometry in bios, and testing, before adding the optical drive.
I only have a single ISA slot, which is populated with a sound card, so I can't add an xt-ide or anything.

So... I think I'm just screwed here, and the bios won't allow the optical if I go over 512mb.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

*EDIT* - Solved
rasz_pl was 100% correct

Last edited by RockstarRunner on 2023-08-11, 19:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 19, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CF cards so probably same deal as sata-pata adapters Re: Motherboard refuses to see other IDE hard drive
tldr: CF card actually needs to explicitly support master/slave logic in IDE mode, not all did

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another option is to use an IDE connector on a sound card (ie: SB16, etc) for the cdrom with the "quirky" 1Gb CF.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 19, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1GB industrial card arrived, and unfortunately it behaves like the other >512MB cards I've tried. I.e. fine until I turn on the optical drive, then freezes after memory count.

I'm out of ideas, short of trying other CF IDE adapters, but at this point I don't want to throw any more money at this.

IMG_20230712_175313.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230712_175313.jpg
File size
408.2 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20230712_180239.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230712_180239.jpg
File size
577.23 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_20230712_180743.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230712_180743.jpg
File size
260.69 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_20230712_181354.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230712_181354.jpg
File size
510.84 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 8 of 19, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I borrowed a couple of CF IDE adapters from a friend.

IMG20230713122051~2.jpg
Filename
IMG20230713122051~2.jpg
File size
658.65 KiB
Views
File license

No luck with running an optical drive using these, either. Same issue.
I can even run that dual card adapter with a 512MB & a 1GB card, in master/slave without a problem.
This must be some weird issue with the Ide controller on the motherboard and optical drives.

Reply 9 of 19, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IDE is just a name for few IO port addresses accessed over ISA bus. Actual IDE controllers are on the HDD/CD drives.

>Using a 512MB card and an optical drive, the PC boots OK.

Your 1GB cards have insufficient compatibility. To be fair no CF card manufacturer probably ever cared about supporting CD drives on same IDE channel.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 19, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even that industrial one? Specs say it does true ide. I've tried 6 cards total, and only that one Cactus 512mb works with an optical drive. I'm not spending anymore money experimenting on CF cards, I've already dropped nearly $100 on the damn things.

Reply 13 of 19, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sangokushi wrote on 2023-07-13, 21:32:

Just curious, does it boot properly if you move the IDE cable + 1GB card + optical drive to another PC?

It's a good idea, and I had thought to try just that, I'll report back when I've done it.

rasz_pl wrote on 2023-07-13, 20:14:

should have started with SSD and SATA-pata converter

Perhaps, but the bios forces a max size of under 2GB, so I was looking for storage options that would be small enough. I've not seen any SSDs that small, though I suppose you could burn a bunch of the space by resizing the disk. Also, I wanted it to be easily removable for transferring files.

Reply 14 of 19, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can, try using XTIDE - solves loads of these weird conflicts in my experience especially when they are around card identification/device conflicts

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 15 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RockstarRunner wrote on 2023-07-13, 19:23:

Even that industrial one? Specs say it does true ide. I've tried 6 cards total, and only that one Cactus 512mb works with an optical drive. I'm not spending anymore money experimenting on CF cards, I've already dropped nearly $100 on the damn things.

"True IDE" is one of three modes that CF cards support.
The other two are "PC Card I/O Mode" and "Memory-Mapped I/O".

http://www.interfacebus.com/CompactFlash_Memo … ule_pinout.html

If you're using an USB card reader, some of those non-IDE modes might be used, perhaps.

Edit: If this was a gaming PC, I'd simply use the IDE/ATAPI port of a sound card.
They're being made for CD-ROM drives, after all.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 19, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only have one ISA slot, which I already mentioned, and it's got an Orpheus 2 in it, so no room for xt-ide, and no ide header on the card... Yes, I really wish these awesome modern sound cards had that feature too, but I totally get why it's not worth the effort.

Reply 17 of 19, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RockstarRunner wrote on 2023-07-15, 06:48:

I only have one ISA slot, which I already mentioned, and it's got an Orpheus 2 in it, so no room for xt-ide, and no ide header on the card... Yes, I really wish these awesome modern sound cards had that feature too, but I totally get why it's not worth the effort.

Crap -sorry, totally missed that sentence in your original post!
Think you *might* be able to add option roms direc tly to a system rom (eg https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/rom.html) but I have to say, I've never tried it.

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 19 of 19, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to conclude this issue I had, rasz_pl was exactly correct when he stated it was that the CF cards I had tested were not correctly supporting Matser/Slave functionality.
I was able to get a 2GB Cactus industrial CF card, and that , like the Cactus brand 512MB card worked perfectly when chaining a slave optical drive off of it.
During my testing I also tried a SATA/Pata adapter, but that turned out to be bad, something wring with the chip I guess, it got real hot, and the PC never recognized there was a drive attached.
I also tried a standard 3.5" HDD and that worked fine, but was never going to be an option for fitting in the case, mostly this indicated I should still see what CF cards I could get access to to test.
In summary, out of 7 CF cards I tried (including Transcend Industrial type), only the Cactus brand industrial cards worked. Now I won't take CF compatibility for granted in the future.

Thanks for all the advice given.