VOGONS

First post, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After quite a bit of time I finally got time to explore my issue again so I need some advice in case someone stumbled upon this issue before.

Last year I've built Voodoo 2 (Innovision Mighty 3DII V3) configuration with AMD K6-2 500, 128 MB SDRAM, PCPartner MVP3BS7-954 motherboard (Via Apollo MVP3 chipset) and ATI Rage Fury Pro 32 MB as main graphics card.

Problem is that although everything works at first after some time (depending on game) voodoo 2 crashes. Fastest way to do this is to start Adventure high detail test in 3DMark 2000, it will freeze every time at same time in benchmark. After that I can only ALT+F4 out of 3DMark and Voodoo2 is unresponsive after that until I reboot. Same thing happens if I leave Unreal intro to loop and in 3DMark 99 "First Person" test.

Here's how mojo.exe output looks before 3DMark

Before.jpg
Filename
Before.jpg
File size
565.44 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here's the spot where it freezes

Freeze.jpg
Filename
Freeze.jpg
File size
463.25 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And here's mojo.exe output after the crash, there's some issue with TMU

After.jpg
Filename
After.jpg
File size
504.93 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I also turned on debug log in autoexec.bat, but haven't figured out much from it except that it reports problems with (I guess) RAM that's connected to TMU.

Filename
sst1_3dfx_before.log
File size
1.74 KiB
Downloads
28 downloads
File license
Public domain
Filename
sst1_3dfx_after.log
File size
1.45 KiB
Downloads
29 downloads
File license
Public domain

I used FastVoodoo2 4.6 drivers, I know they overclock by default to 93, but I reduced clock from 93 to 85 MHz and same thing happened at same spot.

I also checked pins of both TPUs and FBI under microscope to test if some got loose so it crashes when it gets warm and perhaps looses contact but no, they're all firmly connected.

I tried it in another computer, P233 MMX, QDI Titanium IB+ (Intel 430TX) motherboard, and it didn't crash there, after multiple tests. I even set it to run that 3DMark test at high settings in a loop and it didn't crash after 10+ loops.

Could there be some issues between Voodoo and Via chipset?

Reply 1 of 7, by Pertinax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this exact issue with a very different system: Pentium 3 with a Voodoo 4500. The thing is: it also has a VIA Apollo chipset. I think these chipsets don't like Glide or something. When I play NFS 2 for example, sometimes I can play a whole game, but usually it freezes before I am done with a race. Sometimes it even freezes in the menu if I take a break for a while. When I run games in Direct3D instead of Glide, they don't freeze. I tried a Geforce 2 in the system, no crashes. I tried the Voodoo card in a Pentium 4 system with the exact same games that crash (Need for Speed 2), and no issues at all, they work fine. I am 99% certain it is the chipset. Especially now that I know another case (yours) with the exact same issue.

Reply 3 of 7, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pertinax wrote on 2023-07-04, 07:32:

I have this exact issue with a very different system: Pentium 3 with a Voodoo 4500. The thing is: it also has a VIA Apollo chipset. I think these chipsets don't like Glide or something. When I play NFS 2 for example, sometimes I can play a whole game, but usually it freezes before I am done with a race. Sometimes it even freezes in the menu if I take a break for a while. When I run games in Direct3D instead of Glide, they don't freeze. I tried a Geforce 2 in the system, no crashes. I tried the Voodoo card in a Pentium 4 system with the exact same games that crash (Need for Speed 2), and no issues at all, they work fine. I am 99% certain it is the chipset. Especially now that I know another case (yours) with the exact same issue.

At first I tried with Q2, and everything worked. So I installed 3DMark 2000 to test how it compares to main Ati Rage Fury Pro and then it froze when I switched to Voodoo 2. With Rage everything works, no freezes or crashes. With Voodoo 2 some tests pass (it didn't crash once on first Helicopter test) and Adventure test crashes in almost all runs. It did finish once or twice, but that was more a fluke...

Maybe I should try and install WinMe or WinXP (better, more different to Win98) and see if this is something due to software... Back in the day I had one cobbled up PC that was crashing wildly, just about the time Win XP came out. I installed Win XP and lo and behold, no more crashing...

I'll probably try to scrounge some parts and put together some similar Intel based system. I think I have few ~500 MHz celerons and working motherboard 🤔.
My then roomate had BX chipset motherboard, Celeron 300A OC-ed to 450 MHz with Voodoo 2 and it worked without problems.

Reply 4 of 7, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-07-04, 07:39:

have you tried another pci slot? another power supply? downclock the CPU hard to something like 300MHz

Yes, tried few slots, and even removed all cards except SATA controller (I have 120 GB SATA SSD on this machine), same one as in older P233 configuration, AGP card and Voodoo 2.
Tried another PSU, but it didn't help (they're not old period correct, but modern ones but with beefier 5V rails).

Haven't tried downclocking CPU, I might do that when I come home from work. Only tried different CPU (450 K6-2). Although, I might even try "regular" Pentium MMX in it as well 🤔. Although I doubt this is CPU issue, It's not like K6-2 was niche CPU back then. Not most popular, true, but they were used 😅.

*EDIT*

Tried underclocking but it won't boot if not at 500MHz 🤔. Tried setting jumpers for K6-2 300 and 350, won't work. Set it back to 500, boots without problems. I even tried downclocking via FSB, setting clock to 66/66 instead of 100/66, again no boot 😬.
Just tried running 3DMark 2000 with AGP Rage Fury Pro and it finished with ~850 score. No crashes. Tried running with Voodoo2 and crash in "Adventure" game test.

I guess only thing that remains is to cobble up alternative system with similar performance and intel chipset and test.

Last edited by Solo761 on 2023-07-04, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I may have stumbled onto something.

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/show … ad.php?t=468939

It seems AMD's 3DNow is at fault, at least when it comes to 3DMark 2000.
I turned it off in 3DMark and all tests passed OK. Then I set it to loop second test 10 times and that also went without a hitch.
Next I turned it back on and it crashed as before...

Now I just need to figure out what's the deal with Unreal, haven't found any 3DNow options there. But I left it to loop for about 10 minutes and it also didn't crash 🤔.

Reply 6 of 7, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cobbled something up.

ECS P6BAP-me motherboard (Via Apollo Pro 133 chipset), Celeron mendocino 533 MHz, 256 MB ram, AGP GeForce 4 4200 GPU and that Innovision Voodoo 2 card.

Installed Win98SE, drivers and 3DMark 2000 and again, no problems. Tests completed fine. So it really seems that AMD 3DNow crashes that 3DMark test .

Another interesting thing is result score, I expected to get better result with Celeron, but it was actually lower than K6-2 500MHz, 711 for celeron vs 739 for K6-2.

Reply 7 of 7, by Pertinax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Solo761 wrote on 2023-07-07, 06:24:
I cobbled something up. […]
Show full quote

I cobbled something up.

ECS P6BAP-me motherboard (Via Apollo Pro 133 chipset), Celeron mendocino 533 MHz, 256 MB ram, AGP GeForce 4 4200 GPU and that Innovision Voodoo 2 card.

Installed Win98SE, drivers and 3DMark 2000 and again, no problems. Tests completed fine. So it really seems that AMD 3DNow crashes that 3DMark test .

Another interesting thing is result score, I expected to get better result with Celeron, but it was actually lower than K6-2 500MHz, 711 for celeron vs 739 for K6-2.

Nice, lucky you! I have the exact same chipset, and I tried NFS 2 again, and it froze right when I was in my second lap. I replaced my 933 mhz cpu with a 800, installed older chipset drivers but it didn't help 🙁 Guess I'll have to find a different motherboard.