VOGONS

First post, by Pertinax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I never had this problem before and I wonder what is causing it. The CF card is working well, I can copy large files to it and off it without problems on my modern pc. Yet, when I try to install Windows 95 OSR2 on it, I get these issues:

It usually throws errors in the scandisk that starts before the setup, especially at the free space part, it says it is not correct (or something like that, I am using the Dutch Windows 95), and it says it is fixed. But then after the scandisk part, when it says Setup is preparing, it gets stuck for a while, then throws a Error reading from C. Sometimes I get passed this step, but then the GUI setup throws an error right at the start that I should do something else because I have HFS partition.

I tried the following things:

• Delete all partitions and create a new FAT32 partition in FDISK from the Windows 98 boot diskette. I then format it on my Windows 11 machine because formatting on the Pentium 1 machine doesn't work, it gets stuck at the step "creating the file allocation table" then after like 10 minutes or so it gives me an error. Both slow and quick format don't work.
  • Delete all partitions and create a new FAT32 partition in Disk manager in Windows 11.
  • Fix the alignment of the partition with the program Minitool Partition Wizard.

None of the solutions worked. A few weeks ago, I managed to get the setup working, and I used the pc with that card and partition without a single issue for a while. I even played games on it, installed 95 Plus, no issues at all. That's why I'm certain the CF card is fine. It also works fine under DOS with FAT16 partitions.

My setup:
Socket 7 Compaq Presario 4122 with a 150 MHz Pentium CPU
16 MB RAM
CF to IDE adapter with 40 pin cable and onboard IDE
Onboard S3 gpu
4 GB Transcend CF card
I have another 1 GB CF card with a DOS and Windows 3.1 installation which works fine.

Before I try to fix this, or use a different CF card, I want to understand what exactly is going on here, anyone got an idea or had similar issues?

EDIT: Solved, see my last comment! Make sure when you use a FAT32 partition, that the Win95 build is OSR2, the info on winworldpc isn't 100% correct, there are some non OSR2 images on the OSR2 page! And don't align your partition in third party software, Windows 95 doesn't like that.

Last edited by Pertinax on 2023-07-04, 09:20. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there! Sorry to hear about these problems. Um, can you please provide more information about your setup? 😅
Like, what kind of PC is it? Processor, motherboard, BIOS version, BIOS settings.. Is XT-IDE Universal BIOS being used?
How big is the CF card? What brand? Which CF adapter do you use? 40 wire or 80 wire IDE cables? On-board IDE yes/no?
These information can perhaps help me and others to figure out what's going on.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 9, by Pertinax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-07-04, 07:40:
Hi there! Sorry to hear about these problems. Um, can you please provide more information about your setup? :sweat_smile: Like, […]
Show full quote

Hi there! Sorry to hear about these problems. Um, can you please provide more information about your setup? 😅
Like, what kind of PC is it? Processor, motherboard, BIOS version, BIOS settings.. Is XT-IDE Universal BIOS being used?
How big is the CF card? What brand? Which CF adapter do you use? 40 wire or 80 wire IDE cables? On-board IDE yes/no?
These information can perhaps help me and others to figure out what's going on.

Oops I even forgot to mention what CF card 🤣. Post is updated!

Reply 3 of 9, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
could be a UDMA-problem.
I had some similar effects with a board that supported UDMA-33 only combined with a harddisk that supported higher UDMA-modes.
Normally the BIOS should set the highest possible mode in the harddisk but it didn't. So the harddisk assumed UDMA-66 (or UDMA-100, can't remember exactly) while the board talked in UDMA-33 speed.
That didn't work that well. Windows setup would start but freeze at random points eventually.
What helped was limiting the drive to UDMA-33 with a manufacturer utility. No problems ever since.

Reply 4 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's an interesting idea. I have seen CF IDE adapters without DMA lines, for example.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 9, by Pertinax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ChrisK wrote on 2023-07-04, 08:09:
Hi, could be a UDMA-problem. I had some similar effects with a board that supported UDMA-33 only combined with a harddisk that s […]
Show full quote

Hi,
could be a UDMA-problem.
I had some similar effects with a board that supported UDMA-33 only combined with a harddisk that supported higher UDMA-modes.
Normally the BIOS should set the highest possible mode in the harddisk but it didn't. So the harddisk assumed UDMA-66 (or UDMA-100, can't remember exactly) while the board talked in UDMA-33 speed.
That didn't work that well. Windows setup would start but freeze at random points eventually.
What helped was limiting the drive to UDMA-33 with a manufacturer utility. No problems ever since.

Thanks! That is a good one. I will boot up to the BIOS and see what the settings are on. I love to see the Windows 3 style BIOS of the machine anyway, it looks slick and has so many options, but it needs to be booted from diskette, it is not on the motherboard. I'm glad I made backups of the original BIOS diskettes. Let's see if this will help. The CF card I believe is UDMA 33, because it is a smaller one.

Reply 7 of 9, by Pertinax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I fixed it. Not 100% sure how, but it works now, and I think I have an idea:

So, the first time, even with creating a partition in fdisk on the machine itself, and without aligning the partition on my Win 11 system, it didn't work, but the issues started in Scandisk. I believe the Windows 95 OSR2 disc I downloaded from REMOVED was not a real OSR2 build, so it didn't work with the FAT32 partition. That's why scandisk found issues with the directory structure I believe.

My second attempt, which also didn't work, but was with a verified OSR2 build (of an original cd that I have), also had issues, but a bit different. This time the partition was created on the Win 11 system, and it was aligned too. Scandisk would not give errors at the directory structure, but it would say the free space was not correct, and it would fix it, but after the fix, the setup would not recognize the partition. It would say: you have a HFS or a Windows NT partition.

My third attempt was to just create the partition on the system, and NOT align it on my Win 11 system, which worked like a charm. So, Windows 95 doesn't like "correctly" aligned partitions I guess? I started doing this after a video of Phil's computerlab, which says it will make flash drives last longer on older operating systems.

I also checked the IDE settings in my bios, and the specs of my card. The card is UDMA 66 and in the BIOS Enhanched IDE is enabled, which I believe is the same as UDMA 66 right? I'm going to make sure I have the 80 pole cable in there, instead of a 40 pole. Here is a pic of the awesome BIOS and these settings:
https://imgur.com/a/GdOXIt4

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-12-07, 02:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there, glad it finally worked! 😃👍Yes, alignment is tricky. Especially for FAT32. 😥

//My video channel//