VOGONS

First post, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I'm planning my first XP build. I have this board which I got for free and is a fairly modern board for XP. From around 2010.

I'm wondering if I need to add a floppy drive (or Gotek drive) to my build though. I had one in my old XP PC and it was mainly needed for adding drivers and booting from floppy etc. SATA drivers I remember were always an issue. I don't know what options I have in the BIOS yet, so wondering if I can get away with only USB for booting?

I added the photo of the MB as I see that I only have one 40 pin connector so maybe adding a floppy drive isn't even possible on this board? or are there other options?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not necessary at all, except if you want to use it to transfer files between your XP PC and a Win9x/DOS PC.

I think all versions of XP can boot from CD, I never had issue with that. It might come handy with some exotic drivers, but it's uncommon.

Also, indeed your board don't seem to have a 34-pin floppy connector.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I would go with an internal floppy drive even though I think WinXP doesn't really need it (and using them mostly because I have plenty spare 3.5in FDDs)
It's mostly handy for swapping files with older rigs.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!