VOGONS

First post, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I got one of these things for a screaming deal (assuming it works) and I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this variant of the interposer. I know some of them had unpopulated solder points for a 5 volt fan, but I don't see anything obvious on this one. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20230704_170837.jpg
    Filename
    20230704_170837.jpg
    File size
    1.85 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20230704_170906.jpg
    Filename
    20230704_170906.jpg
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Photo Jul 05 2023, 5 11 42 PM.jpg
Filename
File size
68.03 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Mine has a 3 pin header near C22, but the fan only takes two of the three pins. It has a 1998 date on the bottom.

Maybe you could get out the multimeter and see if one of those pinless vias labeled "R5" goes to +5 and the other to ground?

Reply 2 of 7, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
douglar wrote on 2023-07-05, 21:17:

Mine has a 3 pin header near C22, but the fan only takes two of the three pins. It has a 1998 date on the bottom.

Maybe you could get out the multimeter and see if one of those pinless vias labeled "R5" goes to +5 and the other to ground?

Ok, so got a better measurement of continuity:

Left pad of R5: Pin 3 of VR1, be 5 volts
Right Pad of R5 : A23 or A24
Upper Solder Pad: Pin 1 of VR1, Ground of VR1 used for adjusting Voltage
Lower Solder Pad: Ground

So it'd have to be a pigtail I solder in. Not sure if I really want to do that TBH, I'll have to mull over it.

Reply 3 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure, needs checking, that might be a lower wattage mobile part that doesn't need a fan. .... well unless you're trying to break records, then you want more fan than you prolly wanna run off already strained supply to socket.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 7, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-07-06, 03:23:

Not sure, needs checking, that might be a lower wattage mobile part that doesn't need a fan. .... well unless you're trying to break records, then you want more fan than you prolly wanna run off already strained supply to socket.

Most of the chips used on these adaptor interposers were mobile parts. Kingston's was the only one that came with a fan. PNY's didn't but had pads for a 5V fan (it had a really chunky heatsink on it). All the Evergreen chips I looked at had one, too, as did the one shown in the AD, so I was surprised when the seller's pre shipment photos showed a slightly different design (should have asked for pics of the part being sold, lesson learned). I'm guessing the Evergreen part with the fan header is a later revision when they realized that:
1. the tiny HS it came with was entirely inadequate for most cases
2. Everybody was overclocking the damn thing, may as well add a fan header.

Reply 6 of 7, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine comes with some cut wires that were soldered directly to the C22 capacitor

Evergreen part G1 rev 1, copyright 1996, the datecode on the AMD chip is from 1997.

IMG_0410.png
Filename
IMG_0410.png
File size
734.27 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Can't seem to find an image of a chip that had the fan connected like that though

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 7, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote on 2023-07-06, 12:32:
Mine comes with some cut wires that were soldered directly to the C22 capacitor […]
Show full quote

Mine comes with some cut wires that were soldered directly to the C22 capacitor

Evergreen part G1 rev 1, copyright 1996, the datecode on the AMD chip is from 1997.

IMG_0410.png

Can't seem to find an image of a chip that had the fan connected like that though

Huh, That might be a solid way of doing it.