VOGONS

First post, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After finding some old topics, buying SanDisk 32GB CF-cards and not being able to flip-the-bit - what's a brand that would be
- Fast, UDMA7 -speeds for windows XP
- Able to flip the bit (Not Lexar or SanDisk)
- Available in the EU

I'm wanting to saturate the UDMA/66 of the motherboard. Lexar does it well, but as it's not a fixed drive it has some issues in XP. Lexars Bootit didn't help either.
The SanDisks (FW6.1?) are so new, that neither atcfwchg or ndcfwchg works (error #7)

Some suggestions, please 😀

(sorry for the many posts I've made lately, I'm building four different machines; a Shuttle XPC P4/2.8, a Tualatin-S with MSI 694T Pro, a K6-2/500 with Soltek SL-54U5 and there will be a P233mmx on a Soltek SL-56D5)

Reply 1 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I never got the SandDisk tools to work, either.
To my understanding, it was meant for CF cards from 20 or 25 years ago.

To my understanding, two things are needed.
- EWF filter driver
- Hitachi Microdrive INF file

Here's a thread of another user.
CF card recognised as removable + no swap file

Good luck! 🙂🤞

PS: The car PC scene used to use CF cards. And VIA Epia boards. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 16, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oh2ftu wrote on 2023-07-06, 14:51:

- Fast, UDMA7 -speeds for windows XP

I've never seen a PC with a PATA IDE controller that supports UDMA7.
UDMA6 (ATA-133) was as fast as things ever got in the PC world.

If you want the fastest speeds for a PATA device for a reasonable price, consider:
1) get a 32GB Msata device on ebay for $10-20
2) place it a $5-10 44pin pata sled like this:

61GYtd1X5ML._AC_SL1300_.jpg
Filename
61GYtd1X5ML._AC_SL1300_.jpg
File size
67.9 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Note: make sure you get an M2 sled if you have an M2 msata device or an NGFF sled if you get an NGFF device.
3) and then get a 40-44 pin IDE pata adapter for $5-10

I put together a couple of these and they easily push data at rates over 70MB/s when running at UDMA-6. They also supports trim commands, if that's something you want to use.

My experience is that CF devices rarely perform much higher than 30MB/s on a PC, even when the devices are rated UDMA7.

Here's the devices I bench marked a couple years ago:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eukj2 … Bmso/edit#gid=0

Reply 3 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What I understood to be the case is that very large majority of CF to IDE adapters available don't support 80 conductor AT66-133 cables, so fall back to ATA33. You can plug them in, but the connection doesn't make it past the PCB connector so they fail the test and default to 33.

Though also, I trusted the old "speed" rating on CF and SD that they used to have more than what they came up with after, since that seemed more honest. You had to math it out from 150kb 1x but that always seemed the speed you got near as dammit, whereas with later marking systems that you had to look up in a table and had nebulous descriptions they never seemed to match up apart from maybe the first peak of burst transfer for 4 kilobytes or something shady. So the highest speeds on those I remember were 200x and that got near 30MB/sec through most of the read, but when they started saying class this mode that, suitable for video recording, somehow they were down to 12mb sec for the "top of the range" card.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 16, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-07-07, 02:20:

What I understood to be the case is that very large majority of CF to IDE adapters available don't support 80 conductor AT66-133 cables, so fall back to ATA33. You can plug them in, but the connection doesn't make it past the PCB connector so they fail the test and default to 33.

You are correct. Here's an easy guide to determine if this an issue for you:
If your computer is slower than 600Mhz, this is probably not an issue for you, because your computer probably can't go faster than UDMA2.
If your CF adapter has a male 40 pin connector, you are fine as long as you attach the adapter with an 80 conductor cable.
If your CF adapter has a female 40 pin connector, you likely need to short pin 34 in order to get speeds faster than UDMA2 (ATA-33). You can also get a male to male cross over cable and attach your adapter to an 80 conductor cable.

In practice I found that while it is nice to be able to go faster than UDMA2, it wasn't that big of a deal for most CF devices. They just were not fast enough. I tested a group of 10 CF devices. Yes, all were slightly slower when using UDMA2 (ATA-33) vs faster transfer rates but there were was only 1 device that was able to go significantly faster than the UDMA limit of 33MB/s and it had a random access latency > 4.5 ms , which is undesirably high for solid state storage. Also it would not go faster than UDMA4 on a PC. I think that device had firmware optimized for for camera use cases, not PC applications.

Yes, I tricked out my CF adapters so that they allow speeds faster than UDMA2. Yes there was a difference that I could measure with synthetic benchmarks, but ... no, it wasn't a big real world difference. The CF devices I tested were either not fast enough to take advantage of the additional bandwidth provided by the faster transfer rates or had undesirably high random access times.

There is a high variance in CF performance. A really good CF might give you 0.27ms with 30MB/s . An average CF would be 0.45ms with 19MB/s. A crappy CF can give you >10ms access times w/ < 2MBs throughput. My best CF was from Topram. The worst might have been damaged or rebrand, since the other DaneElec devices performed pretty well. The Lexar and Transcend "UDMA7" devices I tested seemed to be optimized for cameras and had good throughput but higher latency

Sintechi SD bridges have relatively mild performance variations depending on the SD used. All the devices I tested were slower than the best CFs devices but better than the average CF devices. Sintechi devices are internally limited to "High Speed" SD transfer mode, which has been around for about 20 years, which is why all the SD cards I have performed in a fairly narrow range, with a small latency for throughput tradeoff, with the lowest latency being 0.35ms w/ 15MBs transfers while the highest throughput was 0.48ms & 20MBs transfers.

Hyperdisk 40 pin DOMs were competitive with the best CFs devices at capacities <= 4GB and devices > 4GB started to perform closer to the solid state sata solutions if I modded the device to allow speeds > UDMA2 (short pin 34 or use a male/male crossover cable)

Msata devices are significantly faster than all CF and SD solutions and buffered SSD devices faster still but it is unlikely that you will see that big of a difference between any of these storage solutions on computers that can't do UDMA2. Msata and SSD's start to separate from the pack at speeds faster than UDMA2

And in conclusion:

• CF devices often have good price / performance / capacity ratio storage needs < 16GB for controllers that don't go faster than UDMA2. Look for CF devices labeled "Industrial" instead of "UDMA7" because the ones labeled "UDMA7" usually have firmware optimized for camera work loads (high latency access to large files on a protocol that PC's don't support), while the ones labeled "Industrial" are intended for HD replacement (low latency r/w access to many small files).
  • If your CF-IDE adapter has a female ATA connector, you likely won't go faster than UDMA2 without a hardware mod or crossover cable
  • Hyperdisk DOMs are nice but also required a mod to go faster than UDMA2
  • Sintechi SD bridges have a good price / performance / capacity ratio for controllers that don't go faster than UDMA2
  • 32GB msata devices have the best price / performance / capacity for the 16GB to 32GB range for controllers that go faster than UDMA2. Sometimes the sata bridges in these devices or higher capacity of this storage is not ideal for devices slower than UDMA2.
Last edited by douglar on 2023-07-07, 15:07. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 5 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

+1 for the SSD with pata-sata converter. And since you want to use XP dont forget some tool to periodically manually TRIM the drive. No, there is no such thing as "this drive will magically trim itself".

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are m2. SATA SSDs that still seem to be popular.
Now, if you install one of them in a 2,5" to IDE/ATA adapter enclosure, you'll get an 1:1 replacement for a 2,5" 44 pin PATA drive (there are simple 40pin to 44pin IDE adapters) .

I used that method to replace a dying HDD in a Mac Mini once. It worked flawlessly.
Which is a good sign, because Macs are very very picky.

So why is that better than just using an SATA PATA converter?
Well, I can't give an reliable answer I can prove.

However, personally, I think, because the converter boards built into enclosures are from a known-good source.

The makers of those enclosures have their suppliers, they have connections, they likely don't buy random stuff.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 16, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Startech seems to have multiple adapters for ide-sata conversion.
They have the one-way which attaches directly to the hard disk, and then there's the bi-directional one that plugs into the motherboard (in this case).
mSATA could also be an option, as I have a few 16-32GB drives lying around

Reply 8 of 16, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm having an issue with the Soltek SL-56D5. I cannot get a Sandisk 32GB card to report itself as more than 8GB for windows98se installer (fdisk).
I tried biospatcher (just ran "bp-4_51.exe biosfile.bin"), but it didn't find anything regarding this to patch. Urgh!

Reply 9 of 16, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oh2ftu wrote on 2023-07-08, 13:23:

So I'm having an issue with the Soltek SL-56D5. I cannot get a Sandisk 32GB card to report itself as more than 8GB for windows98se installer (fdisk).
I tried biospatcher (just ran "bp-4_51.exe biosfile.bin"), but it didn't find anything regarding this to patch. Urgh!

You are encountering an ECHS limitation. You should consider switching to LBA addressing.

Can you select the drive type as LBA in your BIOS?

Have you tried these BIOS upgrades? https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/soltek … -56d5#downloads

If you have an easy way to add a 16KB option eprom (like an open socket in a network card), consider using an LBA bios extension like XUB ( https://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/ ) or DTC (https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=2087)

If you don't have an easy way to do that, consider adding EZ drive disk overly v9.09 (https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1900)

Reply 10 of 16, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Changing to LBA does not work either. I'm running the latest L5.2 bios (or the beta, doesn't matter). Using Auto/LBA mode I'm not able to enter CHS values, and the drive only shows 8GB for windows. The bios knows it's 32GB.
That RTL8139 installed does have an empty socked, but I will have to find some compatible eprom.

Reply 11 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oh2ftu wrote on 2023-07-09, 07:07:

The bios knows it's 32GB.
That RTL8139 installed does have an empty socked, but I will have to find some compatible eprom.

I dont think another bios will help if main one already detects 32GB. You could try smarter partitioning tool from one of those recovery/tool disks floating around, or partitionmagic.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 12 of 16, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you booting from the CF or from a floppy? If you are booting from the CF, you might have some funkly boot sector or mbr. Any floppy you made after booting from the CF would have the same boot sector.

I‘d boot from a known clean floppy.

Maybe try the freedos fdisk. It is more robust. https://www.freedos.org/

You could also try killdisk to issue an ATA secure erase command to your device, but you would want to be carefull about ruining the reserved areas on the CF

Reply 13 of 16, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
douglar wrote on 2023-07-09, 13:39:
Are you booting from the CF or from a floppy? If you are booting from the CF, you might have some funkly boot sector or mbr. […]
Show full quote

Are you booting from the CF or from a floppy? If you are booting from the CF, you might have some funkly boot sector or mbr. Any floppy you made after booting from the CF would have the same boot sector.

I‘d boot from a known clean floppy.

Maybe try the freedos fdisk. It is more robust. https://www.freedos.org/

You could also try killdisk to issue an ATA secure erase command to your device, but you would want to be carefull about ruining the reserved areas on the CF

This issue is present while booting from a windows 98 se CD.
I will test freedos later today.

Reply 14 of 16, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
douglar wrote on 2023-07-06, 20:52:

Note: make sure you get an M2 sled if you have an M2 msata device or an NGFF sled if you get an NGFF device.

mSATA and M.2 SATA are different formfactors.
These days, it's better to go for the latter, mSATA as a standard pretty much faded away once M.2 came out, as it allowed both PCIe/NVMe and SATA connectivity.

mSATA really was the predecessor to M.2 SATA, like mPCIe was to M.2 PCIe.
It even had the same connector and key as mPCIe, though far less mPCIe equipment was mSATA compatible (M.2 got this right, right out of the gate, presumably learning the lessons of mPCIe and mSATA).

mSATA drives are far more pricey $/GB than M.2 SATA, while the adapters cost pretty much the same.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 15 of 16, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't come around to test freedos. I installed said motherboard in a case, and after that it was a no-boot.
I decided to give up on this motherboard (it would most likely need a new CPU-socket and probably a reflow of _everything_) and get a new one.
For storage, I decided to try out a Startech IDE2SATA2-adapter. Amazon should have it here on friday

Reply 16 of 16, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oh2ftu wrote on 2023-07-10, 08:16:

I didn't come around to test freedos. I installed said motherboard in a case, and after that it was a no-boot.
I decided to give up on this motherboard (it would most likely need a new CPU-socket and probably a reflow of _everything_) and get a new one.
For storage, I decided to try out a Startech IDE2SATA2-adapter. Amazon should have it here on friday

I've been testing some VLB drive controllers with 92-96 era bios & drivers. That's a little older than your stuff you are using, but I've run into similar issues where either:

1) The driver or BIOS correctly detect and reports the LBA capacity & geometry of the device during initialization, but appears to switch to ECHS afterwards, only allowing up to 8.4GB
or
2) If the storage device is >= 32GB, the IDE controller BIOS locks tight during initialization with no messages (Talking to you promise 20630!) The computer boots if I yank the IDE Controller BIOS. Might be a >65535 Cylinder issue. I have not worked out the full causality chart yet. I need to keep better notes on these things. Whatever the case, it's frustrating.

I can usually make the LBA device work with full capacity if I use XTide Universal BIOS or DTC LBA bios or EZ drive disk overlay. Sometimes I have to yank the vendor option rom to get it to boot. I had once old 386sx where I had to use the DTC option ROM and EZ drive together to get >= 512mb.

And sometimes the old hardware is just problematic, so I understand moving to the new motherboard too.

Good luck with the other board. That might be the easiest solution.