VOGONS

First post, by Alex_03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there, quick question for the hardware experts

What is the extra tab on the front end of the edge connector on the ATI card? Image attached.

I recently salvaged this card, it is not in the best physical condition but I wanted to test it in an agp windows XP system that I have. My fear is that the tab is supplemental power and requires a special AGP slot that I don't have (AGP pro?) is anybody able to confirm this?

The card is an ATI rage 128 PRO, P/N 109-72700-01.

Thanks!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd guess it's from a macintosh, an extra power connector.

and this seems to confirm that guess https://goughlui.com/2013/08/18/salvage-stuff … ntosh-g4-tower/

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, that was from a Mac using 24V supply via motherboard's to juice the monitor via the video connector instead of second power cord.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 7, by Alex_03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess with that being said, is there anything I could do to get this running on a windows machine? I am pretty handy with electronics and don't have much to lose in regards to this card, I don't think it is really worth anything.

Reply 5 of 7, by XCVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It might be possible to crossflash it with a PC-compatible VBIOS from a similar card. That's not something that's usually done, though, usually the reverse, because the Mac cards tend to be rarer and more expensive. Unfortunately I'm not really familiar with the process.

EDIT: In regards to the extra tab specifically, from what I recall it's solely to provide power to the ADC port on the back of the card, and this card would work without power to that port with any Power Mac with an AGP slot. Don't quote me on that, though, it's been a while since I've played with those towers.

Reply 6 of 7, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As above, ADC power. ADC being a combination DVI-D, USB and power. You can convert back to DVI with adapters or even make your own.

It should in theory work with a PC BIOS, but it’s hardly as if PC Rage 128s are rare or expensive. I’d just leave it alone and get another card.

I’ve got a selection of G4 AGP cards that I’ve gathered to try in my G4 Cube, the Rage 128 being the lowest end card that was offered I believe.