VOGONS

First post, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Asus p2b win 98se is about to reach its final form. At the moment I am still using a p2 400 MHz and classic Geforce 3 and am quite happy. I will test this system for about 2 months before I am going to upgrade the p2 with p3 933 MHz and I am also going to replace the GeForce 3 with a gainward geforce 4 4200 ti I also have in my collection.

I also want to use my game for glide gaming.

For that matter, I either have 2 choices. Either pay a premium to get a Voodoo 3 2000 agp or Voodoo 4. Plan b would be to run glide on my retro rig.

I would not mind being the owner of a Voodoo card at some point in the future it would be cool but having a cheaper option would also be nice.

Reply 1 of 6, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to this post, you might need a more powerful system to run Glide games smoothly.

stef80 wrote on 2022-09-08, 14:04:

Played with nGlide on Athon64 3400+ and FX5900XT. Older Glide games run fine (LucasArts stuff mostly). UT99 had sam hickups in 1024x768 with AA and AF on. GeForce 6800 solved that problem 😀.
I'm not very optimistic about FX5200.

Reply 4 of 6, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see. Thanks for the info. Then I will try out the wrapper that the Serpent Rider linked.

it is a pity that glide is not powerful enough but maybe the one linked above is a viable alternative.

If not I am interested in adding a fx card to my collection anyway. It is more project for the far-distant future though.

Would be the p3 enough to use Fx card in a reasonable way or the card too powerful for that cpu?

Reply 5 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That depends on games you play and image quality preferences. If you fancy high resolution with optional quality improvements like anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, then high-end GeForce FX would be handy on a Pentium 3 system.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 6, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-07-08, 09:39:

That depends on the games you play and image quality preferences. If you fancy high resolution with optional quality improvements like anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, then a high-end GeForce FX would be handy on a Pentium 3 system.

Thanks for the info. Well, cranking up the settings to the max is something I would be curious about for sure. In that case, I would have lots of fun Geforce Fx card I guess.