VOGONS

First post, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys.
I will start by saying Im a long time reader first time writer on here.
I would also appologise if this has been asked and answered before, I did have a search around but cant seem to find a fix for my particular problem.

So Ill tell you everything Ive got then hopefully you will be able to tell me what Im doing wrong.

Ive got a Dell GX50 running Windows 98SE on a 250Gb IDE disk with a 50% partition for Windows and 50% for storage.
Jaton Geforce 6200 on the first Low profile PCI slot
Adaptec AUA-3121 USB 2.0 Firewire combo card
Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI controller that isnt being used for anything at the moment, but I have plans for it later.

All other hardware is standard for the GX50.

I have a Pioneer DVD ROM in a Firewire drive bay, its one of the IDE slot loading drives.
When I attach it to another PC it works perfectly fine.

My problem is Windows 98SE sees the drive, it calls it a IEEE 1394 CD-ROM device.
I have unofficial SP3 installed but only the core system files, none of the other updates as I always seem to have trouble with it even when following the update install order as given on the site its from.

I have two driver options in my system but neither of them seem to work.
I installed update 242975 which is what added the second driver option.

NTMAP.INF comes from the SP3 Cab file and is what the system is using, there was another added with update 242975 but I cant seem to make windows load it anymore, it didnt work so I pointed it to use NTMAP.inf instead and it still doesnt work.

Can anybody help me get this drive working please.

Reply 1 of 10, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-07-08, 00:57:

..My problem is Windows 98SE sees the drive, it calls it a IEEE 1394 CD-ROM device..

Not sure if I understand correctly. Windows 98SE installed the driver and the drive show up in device manager.
And the problem is?

No driver letter assigned?
Cannot read DVD disc?
Cannot read CD disc?

Or the drivers cannot be installed successfully?

Reply 2 of 10, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The driver or drivers install and then I reboot the system and then it shows up in Device manager with a yellow zap as either code 11 or code 10, when I use the KB242975 drivers its code 11 (wrong drivers) and with the SP3 drivers its code 10 no drivers.

Its a very strange problem that Ive just never had before...

I think a fresh install is called for myself, but I really dont want to as apart from this its setup pretty much how I want it this time.

Having had a poke around its IDE to Firewire control board thats causing the driver issue, the IDE DVD ROM isnt even seen as the control board between the disc drive and windows doesnt have the correct drivers to make it work.

Reply 3 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Best advice is to not install the dumpster fire of Unofficial SP3. You're going to have to do a clean reinstall becasue unofficial SP3 has infected your computer. All you need is NUSB. 2.2e is the last version that doesn't replace explorer.exe and cause unwanted problems. After that install the 2.2.1 INF update. Then try your Firewire CD-ROM.

Attachments

• Filename
    nusb221e_upd.zip
    File size
    9.51 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    nusb22e.7z
    File size
    500.12 KiB
    Downloads
    42 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn't NUSB 2.x being limited to USB 1.1, though?
And isn't NUSB language dependant?
I wonder, because I've found German versions, but none for English.

Edit: I'm more of layman here, haven't found anything before v2.4 online so far.
Older releases aren't being available for download anymore.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The NUSBs were done by MDXG and he had a dedicated website for them, thats long gone. The name alludes me right now, but all of the versions were posted on it at one time including other languages.

They started out as being drop in replacements of 98se files using official patches and some updated drivers for USB and firewire from ME patches that were compatibile and updated INFs with hardware IDs for detecting modern drives etc.

Unfortunatly he took the same approach as Problemchyd who made the unoffcial SP3, and started adding modified files that only worked if you used unofficial service packs and broke things if you didnt as well as broke things when you did.

Reply 6 of 10, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2023-07-08, 04:59:

Best advice is to not install the dumpster fire of Unofficial SP3. You're going to have to do a clean reinstall becasue unofficial SP3 has infected your computer. All you need is NUSB. 2.2e is the last version that doesn't replace explorer.exe and cause unwanted problems. After that install the 2.2.1 INF update. Then try your Firewire CD-ROM.

Yeah I would agree with you on that one, I really dont like SP3. but some of its files in SP3.cab can be useful to have.

I have and use nusb3.3 and nudb3.6e without problems.

2.2.1 INF update is a new one on me, where can i get that from?
It sounds like an updater to the chipset drivers?

Reply 7 of 10, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-07-08, 00:57:

I have unofficial SP3 installed

Here it is your problem. Texas Instruments FireWire chipset that your card uses is officially supported by Win98SE.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 10 of 10, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A fresh install of Win98SE with just the basic drivers installed saw it working.
As soon as I installed the core system files update from SP3 it stopped working.

I dont like that SP3 update at all. Im not even sure its needed any more either as this thing is never going to be used for anything more than game playing.
So I think Ill leave it there.

Thanks to those who tried to help, but I think this problem is one of those that just shouldnt even be there anyway.