VOGONS

Voodoo 3 with P3 933?

Topic actions

First post, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it possible? My voodoo 3 overheats in the p3 at 933 mhz but works when I clock it down to 466. I even added a fan to the card. Is it just not possible to run a voodoo 3 on this machine?

Reply 1 of 38, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a Voodoo3 @ 192MHz with a Celeron 1400 and haven’t had any trouble with overheating. It does have a small fan strapped to its heat sink though, which I understand is a good thing to have even on stock clocked models.

Edit: Sorry, I read your post, walked away for 10 minutes, then totally forgot that you had mentioned a fan! How’s the TIM on your card, still original?

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 2 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2023-07-09, 16:37:

I use a Voodoo3 @ 192MHz with a Celeron 1400 and haven’t had any trouble with overheating. It does have a small fan strapped to its heat sink though, which I understand is a good thing to have even on stock clocked models.

Edit: Sorry, I read your post, walked away for 10 minutes, then totally forgot that you had mentioned a fan! How’s the TIM on your card, still original?

Whats a TIM? I also have a pci voodoo 3 I was thinking of trying just to see if it makes a difference. Maybe the fan I added isnt good?

Reply 5 of 38, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably just needs a good repasting then. Think I used some of the (probably cheap) paste that came with a Hyper 212 CPU heatsink. It’s been running nice and cool since. Voodoo3s don’t really get hot as CPU clock increases.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 6 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2023-07-09, 22:02:

Probably just needs a good repasting then. Think I used some of the (probably cheap) paste that came with a Hyper 212 CPU heatsink. It’s been running nice and cool since. Voodoo3s don’t really get hot as CPU clock increases.

Ok I can try to replace it. I also have a voodoo 3 pci card I can try

Reply 7 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested the computer with a PCI voodoo 3 instead and that one overheated as well.
How do you replace the TMI on these? I dont want to destroy the cards.
Any other reasons the GPUs are over heating ?

Reply 8 of 38, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What do you actually mean by "it overheats", how are you determining that?
If the card freezes, then there's probably a different issue, one that could be related to the card itself (unlikely, since you also tested another Voodoo 3 PCI with similar results - unclear what those results are), or it could be related to the actual platform that it runs on.

Just as an FYI, these cards do run VERY hot. The measured temps can easily reach 90+ degrees in a case with poor airflow. However, even in this scenario, they don't freeze (unless there's another underlying problem).
They also run perfectly well even on much faster platforms (like a KT266A/KT333 board with a fast Athlon XP CPU).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 9 of 38, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am also curious about the overheating issue. I wonder how common it is when using the Voodoo 3 on a more powerful cpu?

Like mentioned in my p3 coppermine vs Tualatin thread I am looking for a new "home" for my Voodoo 3 2000 agp card.

I was considering using P3 coppermine 1 GHz or even 1 GHz Tualatin.

Reading about potential overheating issues even with p3 933 sounds quite alarming to me.

I mean I am aware that Voodoo 3 cards can run very hot. I have heard about that many times online already. But I have always assumed that the heat stuff is not that severe if there is enough airflow provided for the card to cool down.

Last edited by theiceman085 on 2023-07-20, 06:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 38, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
theiceman085 wrote on 2023-07-20, 06:28:

I am also curious about the overheating issue. I wonder how common it is when using the Voodoo 3 on a more powerful cpu?

I'm using my Voodoo 3 with an AthlonXP 2100+ and it works just fine. However, it is highly recommended to provide additional cooling for the card, especially for the PCI versions which have a voltage regulator that gets extremely hot. There's a series of videos by Bits und Bolts where he measures the temperatures on a Voodoo 3 using a thermal camera. Pretty interesting stuff.

As for cooling solutions, my method of choice is to install a PCI fan bracket and add one or two Noctua fans to that. There are versions which mount beneath the card and others which place the fan on the side. I'm using the latter in my build, and you can see some pics here.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 11 of 38, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-07-20, 06:48:
theiceman085 wrote on 2023-07-20, 06:28:

I'm using my Voodoo 3 with an AthlonXP 2100+ and works just fine. However, it is highly recommended to provide additional cooling for the card, especially for the PCI versions which have a voltage regulator that gets extremely hot. There's a series of videos by Bits und Bolts where he measures the temperatures on a Voodoo 3 using a thermal camera. Pretty interesting stuff.

As for cooling solutions, my method of choice is to install a PCI fan bracket and add one or two Noctua fans to that. There are versions that mount beneath the card and others that place the fan on the side. I'm using the latter in my build, and you can see some pics here.

Thanks a lot for the info and thx for mentioning the additional cooling solutions. I will look into them as soon as my V3 card has found a new home. Your cooling solution looks interesting btw.

Reply 12 of 38, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
theiceman085 wrote on 2023-07-20, 07:04:

cooling solution looks interesting btw.

It's not just about cooling.
1. P2 is not powerful enough, so the video card was underloaded.
P3 makes it work harder, so the heat increases.

2. Asus decided to call the bug a feature, and leave the crutch for AT motherboards on ATX motherboards.
3.3V in the p2 series is generated on the board, not from the power supply.
And it powering everything in general(RAM&chipset), including AGP, PCI and ISA.
Check the jumpers, the hardware monitor and double-check with a multimeter that it would be exactly 3.3V, and not 3.5 or 3.65.
Overvoltage at 440BX is needed only at frequencies of 133+ and 3-4 occupied memory slots.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 13 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2023-07-20, 05:05:
What do you actually mean by "it overheats", how are you determining that? If the card freezes, then there's probably a differen […]
Show full quote

What do you actually mean by "it overheats", how are you determining that?
If the card freezes, then there's probably a different issue, one that could be related to the card itself (unlikely, since you also tested another Voodoo 3 PCI with similar results - unclear what those results are), or it could be related to the actual platform that it runs on.

Just as an FYI, these cards do run VERY hot. The measured temps can easily reach 90+ degrees in a case with poor airflow. However, even in this scenario, they don't freeze (unless there's another underlying problem).
They also run perfectly well even on much faster platforms (like a KT266A/KT333 board with a fast Athlon XP CPU).

I dont have proper measuring equipment but the cards dont get that hot in the pentium 1 or 2 or even the P3 clocked at 466 Mhz. I'm wondering if its a voltage issue? I brought the computer to work to play with it when i have breaks.

Reply 14 of 38, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Law212 wrote on 2023-07-20, 14:07:

I'm wondering if its a voltage issue?

Don't know which of p2-series motherboard you use.
But you need download manual and find Vio jumper.
Hint.
If jumper are 3-position and have choose only 3.5 or 3.65, just remove the jumper.
It was be 3.3V

Attachments

• vio asus.jpg
    Filename
    vio asus.jpg
    File size
    86.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300

Reply 15 of 38, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shevalier wrote on 2023-07-20, 15:03:
Don't know which of p2-series motherboard you use. But you need download manual and find Vio jumper. Hint. If jumper are 3-posit […]
Show full quote

Hint.
If jumper are 3-position and have choose only 3.5 or 3.65, just remove the jumper.
It was be 3.3V

I mean, according to him, he also tested a PCI Voodoo 3.
But, again, we have no idea what his issue actually is, so I'm just going to stop here. 😉

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 16 of 38, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2023-07-20, 16:27:

I mean, according to him, he also tested a PCI Voodoo 3.

So what?
They too lazy to add one word.
Motherboards with Vio do not use the 3.3V voltage from the power supply at all. At all.
Such an artifact of the AT era, but presented as an overclocking feature.

Attachments

• Vio 3.3V.jpg
    Filename
    Vio 3.3V.jpg
    File size
    3.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • cubx.jpg
    Filename
    cubx.jpg
    File size
    97.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 17 of 38, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-07-20, 15:03:
Don't know which of p2-series motherboard you use. But you need download manual and find Vio jumper. Hint. If jumper are 3-posit […]
Show full quote

Hint.
It was be 3.3V

Would be interesting, if this trick also works on a P3B-F? I use a 1 GHz PIII SL4KL CPU with 100MHz FSB and would low down to 3.30V, but the mainboard only allows 3,50 and 3,65V, as in the picture seen.

Reply 18 of 38, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NostalgicAslinger wrote on 2023-07-20, 17:50:

Would be interesting, if this trick also works on a P3B-F? I use a 1 GHz PIII SL4KL CPU with 100MHz FSB and would low down to 3.30V, but the mainboard only allows 3,50 and 3,65V, as in the picture seen.

Yeah, Jumpers simply add shunt resistors to an existing negative feedback resistor.

But it's all dully and wrong.
Only according to the tracert rules, you need to switch the ground pins of the resistors, and not climb into the high-impedance NFB point of the built-in operational amplifier.
NFB should topologically be a one dot located near the inverting input of the operational amplifier, and not a distributed circuit on the half of the PCB.

Reply 19 of 38, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, thanks!

I don't understand why Asus doesn't offer an official 3.30V setting on the P3B-F, useless and unnecessarily more load on the PCI/AGP/SDRAMs/ if you don't use an FSB133 processor...

On the K7V-T (VIA KX133), for example, Asus says that 3.31V is the default voltage and should be used, also allows three different VIO voltage settings (see picture). For the P3B-F with the i440BX would also be 3.30V the default voltage of the chipset, see Intel specs. However, at least 3.4V is usually required for 133MHz FSB, depending on the chip quality of the BX, later productions of the BX should run better with less IO Voltage than earlier ones. My Abit BE6-II i440BX runs completely stable with 3.30V VIO and 2x 256MB RAM, for 3x256MB and FSB133, I need 3,40V VIO.

Attachments

• Asus K7V VIO.png
    Filename
    Asus K7V VIO.png
    File size
    65.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception