VOGONS

Voodoo 3 with P3 933?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-07-20, 15:03:
Don't know which of p2-series motherboard you use. But you need download manual and find Vio jumper. Hint. If jumper are 3-posit […]
Show full quote
Law212 wrote on 2023-07-20, 14:07:

I'm wondering if its a voltage issue?

Don't know which of p2-series motherboard you use.
But you need download manual and find Vio jumper.
Hint.
If jumper are 3-position and have choose only 3.5 or 3.65, just remove the jumper.
It was be 3.3V

The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X rev 1.03
Im running win 98 and it has 1 gig of ram. I previously had this computer running win XP and was testing out some radeon and ATI cards and none of them had issues. The voodoo 3 cards also have been tested in a pentium 1 and pentium 2 with no issues.

Reply 21 of 38, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Law212 wrote on 2023-07-21, 02:37:

On the Internet, sometimes you come across anything, for example, this picture.
Check Vio jumper position at top right corner of motherboard.

Attachments

• manual.jpg
    Filename
    manual.jpg
    File size
    40.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • cuv4x_vio.jpg
    Filename
    cuv4x_vio.jpg
    File size
    145.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 22 of 38, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shevalier wrote on 2023-07-20, 17:33:
So what? They too lazy to add one word. Motherboards with Vio do not use the 3.3V voltage from the power supply at all. At all. […]
Show full quote

So what?
They too lazy to add one word.
Motherboards with Vio do not use the 3.3V voltage from the power supply at all. At all.
Such an artifact of the AT era, but presented as an overclocking feature.

Not sure I'm following.
The Voodoo 3 PCI does NOT draw any significant power from the motherboard's 3.3V circuit. The Voodoo 3's (in)famous scorching hot on-board voltage regulator is responsible for delivering 3.3V.

Anyway, again, this is one of those dead-end threads, so no real point in trying to help further (may I remind everyone that the OP still hasn't actually mentioned WHAT the issue is).

Still, for those who are willing to help him:

Im running win 98 and it has 1 gig of ram.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 23 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2023-07-21, 06:15:
Not sure I'm following. The Voodoo 3 PCI does NOT draw any significant power from the motherboard's 3.3V circuit. The Voodoo 3's […]
Show full quote
shevalier wrote on 2023-07-20, 17:33:
So what? They too lazy to add one word. Motherboards with Vio do not use the 3.3V voltage from the power supply at all. At all. […]
Show full quote

So what?
They too lazy to add one word.
Motherboards with Vio do not use the 3.3V voltage from the power supply at all. At all.
Such an artifact of the AT era, but presented as an overclocking feature.

Not sure I'm following.
The Voodoo 3 PCI does NOT draw any significant power from the motherboard's 3.3V circuit. The Voodoo 3's (in)famous scorching hot on-board voltage regulator is responsible for delivering 3.3V.

Anyway, again, this is one of those dead-end threads, so no real point in trying to help further (may I remind everyone that the OP still hasn't actually mentioned WHAT the issue is).

Still, for those who are willing to help him:

Im running win 98 and it has 1 gig of ram.

You dont need to respond. Nobody will miss your witty replies.
This forum and the world can do without your negativity.

Reply 24 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank the mods for the mute feature. I cant stand people like that guy.

Anyway for the normal people, I was trying to benchmark the system , but 3d max 99 kept freezing up on the second benchmark sequence (FPS) and I think it was Daikatana that would freeze up. I recently tried running Max Payne 1 and Kiss Psycho circus and those run fine. I will reinstall 3d mark and see if that makes a diff. Max payne has graphical glitches not with the actual game but the health level and the on screen writing. I think psycho circus had some graphical issues with the HUD as well.

Reply 25 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-07-21, 04:50:

Yeah I already found the manual for the mobo online . Thanks though. Another witty one like bloodem i see. Why is it PC related forums are always full of miserable A holes?

This mobo has a jumperless mode and its already set at 3.3 v.

Its strange that running at 933 mhz 3d mark freezes up but at 466 it doesnt. Though maz payne and psycho circus worked, but daikatana freezes.

Reply 26 of 38, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2023-07-22, 20:57:

Yeah I already found the manual for the mobo online . Thanks though. Another witty one like bloodem i see. Why is it PC related forums are always full of miserable A holes?

Its strange that running at 933 mhz 3d mark freezes up but at 466 it doesnt. Though maz payne and psycho circus worked, but daikatana freezes.

Yes, us PC nerds have a tendency to become miserable A holes when we're trying to help someone (wasting our own personal time while doing so), and our questions go unanswered/are completely ignored.
Leaving out important details and letting the others rely on assumptions - when, again, they are trying to help you... now that's a very bad attitude, IMO.

Do you actually realize that this is the first time you wrote the word 'freeze' since starting this thread? Up until now it was 'overheats this, overheats that'. Just something to think about...

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 27 of 38, by Mahigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yeah I already found the manual for the mobo online . Thanks though. Another witty one like bloodem i see. Why is it PC related […]
Show full quote

Does the motherboard support a 133MHz Front Side Bus or are you overclocking a 440BX to 133MHz thus also overclocking the PCI bus?

EDIT: just saw it's a CUV4x, VIA based motherboard.

If the system freezes when the CPU is running at a higher frequency then I'd likely look at the following:

Power Supply: High clocks, more wattage.
CPU: CPU may have an issue.
Motherboard: Any of the Capacitors bulging?
PCI: Make sure it's running 33MHz

Main Retro Rig:
MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R | Intel Pentium IV 3.2GHz (Northwood C) | 2GB Corsair XMS 4000 DDR RAM | ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB Graphics Card | Quantum Obsidian X-24 24MB Glide 3D Accelerator | Creative SoundBlaster X-fi Elite Pro Sound Card

Reply 28 of 38, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When a person writes that his video card hangs, I assume that he has already decided that the problem is with the video card.
Before that, he checked the stability of the CPU and memory with all sorts of utilities that he was used to.
For example, prime95.

The video card can easily hang when replaced with a more powerful processor when the video card is unstable.
Because a more powerful processor generates more calls to it.
From personal experience, I thought that in config #2, 2600pro can easily work at 725MHz (like HD 3650). The card is completely stable at these frequencies with Sempron 1.6GHz L2 256k, but crashes with Athlon 2.0GHz L2 512k.
Because Athlon generates more calls to the video card.
Stable frequency is 700MHz.

Again, the FX5200 is completely stable at 3.3 or 3.5V, but crashes at 3.65. Why, if it practically does not use 3.3V directly? Because inside the GPU there are output buffers on the bus to the chipset. With increased voltage, they locally overheat and the card falls off.
Although it would seem that more voltage means more stability.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300

Reply 29 of 38, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PS. A PCI card can always be tested on a more recent system, such as Core2 Duo or AM3 with native PCI support.
PPS. For Via based matherboards firstable you always should install Via 4-n-1 driver.

Reply 30 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mahigan wrote on 2023-07-23, 05:59:
Does the motherboard support a 133MHz Front Side Bus or are you overclocking a 440BX to 133MHz thus also overclocking the PCI bu […]
Show full quote
Yeah I already found the manual for the mobo online . Thanks though. Another witty one like bloodem i see. Why is it PC related […]
Show full quote

Does the motherboard support a 133MHz Front Side Bus or are you overclocking a 440BX to 133MHz thus also overclocking the PCI bus?

EDIT: just saw it's a CUV4x, VIA based motherboard.

If the system freezes when the CPU is running at a higher frequency then I'd likely look at the following:

Power Supply: High clocks, more wattage.
CPU: CPU may have an issue.
Motherboard: Any of the Capacitors bulging?
PCI: Make sure it's running 33MHz

Thanks for the advice, I checked all those things. No caps are bulging, THOUGH 2 caps were bulging on my Dual P 3 Asus cuv4x-D motherboard and so the computer wasnt evne booting. Im in the middle of replacing those .

I set the Bios to default settings and PC is running at 33 . As of now it seems like 3d mark is the only thing freezing up and the computer in general is OK. The voodoo 3 runs hotter than I remember but games like Max Payne 1 and Kiss Psycho circus play just fine . I still need to test Daikatana as that game had an issue as well. Motherboard and CPU temps are perfectly good

Reply 31 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont think the issue was the video card at all at this point. I think I THOUGHT the heat was the issue , but it was most likely some BIOS settings that were messed with when this system was running win XP and had a radeon 1550 in it.
This is the spot 3D mark keeps freezing at

Gx8WyQ0.jpg

I didnt have time this weekend to just try a re-install of 3d mark, but I should have time this week.

Reply 32 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update! So it was a driver issue. I thought I had the best voodoo 3 driver. It was one from 1999, but then I found one today from 2000. Installed it and the 3d mark 99 benchmark finished successfully.
Need to wait till tonight to test out some games on it .

Reply 34 of 38, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty sure I have DirectX 7 on my Voodoo3 machine, since that's the version on my file server. Though, it's definitely possible that a game installer has gone ahead and upgraded it to DX8 along the way.

Assuming DX7 though, it seems to work really well. Nice and stable, or as stable as Windows 98 gets.

Direct X 7.0a. No complaints here. 👍

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 35 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2023-08-03, 22:47:
Pretty sure I have DirectX 7 on my Voodoo3 machine, since that's the version on my file server. Though, it's definitely possible […]
Show full quote

Pretty sure I have DirectX 7 on my Voodoo3 machine, since that's the version on my file server. Though, it's definitely possible that a game installer has gone ahead and upgraded it to DX8 along the way.

Assuming DX7 though, it seems to work really well. Nice and stable, or as stable as Windows 98 gets.

OK, Max Payne installed DX 8 and I started getting freezing in SIN and Quake 3.
What voodoo driver are you using?

Reply 36 of 38, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use a Voodoo 3 (albeit with active cooling) with an AthlonXP 2100+ so by all means, yeah.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 37 of 38, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2023-08-04, 13:08:
Pretty sure I have DirectX 7 on my Voodoo3 machine, since that's the version on my file server. Though, it's definitely possible […]
Show full quote

I'm using the last official driver, 1.07.
http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/downloads/voodoo3-10700.zip

I used one of the unofficial AmigaMerlin drivers before I replaced my hard drive a few years ago. I don't remember there being any issues with the unofficial driver, and it may even improve compatibility with "newer" games like Max Payne.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 38 of 38, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2023-08-04, 20:14:
I'm using the last official driver, 1.07. http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/downloads/voodoo3-10700.zip […]
Show full quote
Law212 wrote on 2023-08-04, 13:08:
Show full quote

I'm using the last official driver, 1.07.
http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/downloads/voodoo3-10700.zip

I used one of the unofficial AmigaMerlin drivers before I replaced my hard drive a few years ago. I don't remember there being any issues with the unofficial driver, and it may even improve compatibility with "newer" games like Max Payne.

Thanks for the info. I had some more issues with the computer. IT started saying windows protection error, then stopped reading drive C. then when I tried to reinstall windows 98 it gave erros . I looked it up and it seems like a memory issue so I removed one stick of ram and now the install of windows is going fine. I wonder if this was the reason for the crashing in some games . Ill find out soon.