VOGONS

First post, by altarofmelektaus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have a Socket 7 system where I'd like to upgrade the onboard SiS 530 graphics chipset, limited to specifically PCI. No AGP anywhere on the board despite front sticker boasting AGP 2x graphics. Not too much documentation, but some spec sheets say it has onboard ATi 3D Rage Pro graphics, and I'm not seeing this chip anywhere on the board so I assume it's for a higher-end model.
I was going to maybe source a Voodoo2, but I've heard some things about not using them if your 2D card is really weak (not the mention the price nowadays). Computer leaves little to no room to install two graphics cards. Not too concerned with making the machine crazy fast for its time, just want to give it a boost compared to the awful integrated video it has right now. It means a lot to me nostalgia-wise, and I already have some P!!! systems to cover for more power.
Thank you!

Specs:
K6-2 380MHz
64MB SDRAM (upgrading to 128)
SiS 530 graphics
Compaq UZI motherboard
3 PCI, 1 ISA

Reply 1 of 6, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
altarofmelektaus wrote on 2023-07-09, 18:21:

No AGP anywhere on the board despite front sticker boasting AGP 2x graphics.

The onboard graphics are linked to the northbridge by a 2x AGP bus. It's just that the AGP bus isn't externalised to an AGP slot - it's buried in the PCB.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 2 of 6, by kiacadp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using a PCI Vanta 16 MB in a K6-2 system. Haven't done much testing on that but I think it's a good fit for a system like yours. There's plenty to choose from though.

Reply 3 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Super 7" SiS 530 chipset. check out this thread here.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 6, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some form of PCI Nvidia card would be a good option - Riva 128, TNT, TNT2 M64, etc. Excellent 2D and reasonable 3D.

I'd stick to 64MB RAM though - that's the most a lot of socket 7 boards can cache and no games for that era machine will need more.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 6, by altarofmelektaus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Managed to get ahold of two PCI TNT2 M64s for a reasonable price. should work out pretty well and I will probably give use to the second card in my other '98 PC that lacks an AGP slot. Appreciate the help!

Reply 6 of 6, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pci:
Many like gf2/3 cards for these systems and in fact they hold the records on these builds, but I have had better luck getting radeon to work on my builds. Radeon 7500, 9200, 9250

I’ve played halo all the way through on a k6-3+ with radeon 9800 pro (agp) a nice pci card isn’t all that much slower. It is the cpu fsb, and memory holding it back mostly it seems.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)