VOGONS

First post, by doublebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought it's standard, but now as I installed this graphics card the bracket seems to be too long. Is this common problem, I don't remember ever having troubles with this before. Luckily the bracket can be removed but where tf could I source a shorter bracket. The card works fine as is but is flimsy. Any advice?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 6, by doublebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-07-15, 15:16:

Thanks for the link, however that wasn't the problem. I compared my card to photos on the internet and indeed my card has wrong bracket. The previous owner must have changed it for some reason. Incredible. Now I have to jerry rig something together or try to find a suitable bracket.

Reply 3 of 6, by echothedolphin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you post a picture of the card out of the case? Also, what motherboard and kind of case do you have? There are a number of OEM systems that have nonstandard heights, I have one of them.

Reply 4 of 6, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
doublebuffer wrote on 2023-07-15, 15:25:

The previous owner must have changed it for some reason. Incredible. Now I have to jerry rig something together or try to find a suitable bracket.

The bracket was probably missing and he just stuck a random on on there prior to sale

There is no spec for where on the PCB the output connector is, so good luck finding a properly fitting one unless it came from the same manufacturer

Reply 5 of 6, by doublebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
echothedolphin wrote on 2023-07-15, 17:25:

Can you post a picture of the card out of the case? Also, what motherboard and kind of case do you have? There are a number of OEM systems that have nonstandard heights, I have one of them.

My computer is OEM (DEC Venturis 5100), but the other card seems to fit fine. See the photo, the socket contacts align but the bracket is off, a very unfortunate turn of events!

maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-07-15, 18:08:

so good luck finding a properly fitting one

Thanks, I will indeed need it! 😁

Attachments

Reply 6 of 6, by echothedolphin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, unfortunately that is one goofy looking bracket! You might have some luck trying to find an identical dead or parts card for cheap that you can scavenge the bracket from. I basically did the same thing for an MWave card last year.