VOGONS

First post, by LChackr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I am working on a new 386 build and am having some trouble. The primary storage is a 512MB Compact Flash drive using IDE adapter I've successfully used with other 386 and 486 builds in the past. Here are the details:

It's a Rectron PEAK/DM 386 DX board. CHIPS PEAK/DM BIOS 2.1.1.

I was able to boot to my MS-DOS utility floppy successfully and run IDEINFO. It detected the CF card and gave me the CHS info. I put that into BIOS and it sees the drive now. Cool. Or so I thought.

I FDISK'd the drive, formatted the drive, SYS'd it, ran SCANDISK, and everything looks good.

Then I try to boot and it immediately freezes at "Starting MS-DOS ..." If I boot to the utility floppy and try to run any of the executables from the CF card (C:) I get the same behavior.

Does anyone have a suggestions? If relevant, IDEINFO returned: 993 cyls, 16 heads, 63 SPT, 0 BPT, 512 BPS, 1 KB buffer, 4 ECC bytes. Capacity 488 MB.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some ideas:
-try to hold shift down while booting to boot clean
-does the system boot from a floppy that has a config similar to that of your CF (himem, emm386, .sys drivers...)?
I'm thinking memory issues or instabilities irrelevant to the CF card.

Reply 2 of 5, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LChackr wrote on 2023-07-17, 04:35:

The primary storage is a 512MB Compact Flash drive using IDE adapter I've successfully used with other 386 and 486 builds in the past.

How do you mean? Is the IDE adapter tested on other systems, or the card? Or both?
In my experience any CF card that has the removable bit set (and with it the magnetic media type bit is not set) is going to cause problems. This depends on the BIOS and particular IDE controller card. Prime 2 / 2C usually work best but if the BIOS is stubborn even these controller can't use the card.

Maybe it's just my luck but from like 5 CF card of 512MB only one reports as fixed (non-removable) magnetic media, and that one works on everything. It's a SanDisk SDCFB-512. Other cards... depends, usually not on older mobos like 286 and early 386.

Reply 3 of 5, by seaken64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure, but I had some trouble with a couple CF cards until I first fixed the MBR before formatting and loading the OS. Maybe you can try that

fdisk /MBR

see here for info on XT-IDE. Not sure if this is your interface or not:

https://minuszerodegrees.net/xtide/XT-IDE%20-%20Problems.htm

Seaken

Reply 4 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1 for FDISK /MBR

I would also perform the "clean" command on the drive as explained here: https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/kb/how- … rompt-005929en/ (this is done by using the command prompt under modern windows)

basically I would "clean" the CF, do the FDISK /MBR and then go on and use it on a retropc

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 5, by seaken64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I think I also did a "clean" using my Win10 machine on a couple of CF cards. It's been a while since I setup my CF cards but now that @keropi mentions it I do recall doing the clean also.

Seaken