Core 2 build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-07-23, 15:09:

NWN2 however, I'd be surprised if it's issues, if there are any, would be on the CPU.

The engine isn't amazing and needs all the help it can get, both from GPU and CPU. Some of the settings are disproportionately heavy and require some serious grunt, but even with low resolution and lowest settings Cedar Mill P4 3.4GHz / 9800 GTX+ couldn't get more than around 30-40fps in the starting village if I recall correctly. So yeah, it does want its CPU and it wants it now if smooth framerates are to be desired.

Reply 21 of 22, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2 slots for DDR2 is only a problem if you want more than 4GB though 1GB DDR2 are practically free these days and good 2GB modules you have to pay money for.

And on the topic of memory, if you do end up with nForce, the approved/tested modules list is your bible, stick by it for less problems.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 22, by Mahigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2023-07-23, 11:14:
Mahigan wrote on 2023-07-23, 05:48:
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-07-23, 05:43:

790i

Well, I've built one recently and whatever you do... stay away from the nVIDIA chipsets for these. In theory, they overclock better, in practice... d*mn thing is unstable. The Intel x48 is the chipset to get if you can find one at a good price. It is stable and compatible with everything. You won't get random issues like your Ethernet dropping off. It will run beautifully and allow you the true and authentic Core 2 experience. It also does the 1,600MHz FSB if that's your thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nVidia chipsets aren't made for OC at all. They have FSB holes from what I remember reading.

Could be, but what I was getting was onboard devices failing despite the PCI/PCIe bus being locked.

Main Retro Rig:
MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R | Intel Pentium IV 3.2GHz (Northwood C) | 2GB Corsair XMS 4000 DDR RAM | ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB Graphics Card | Quantum Obsidian X-24 24MB Glide 3D Accelerator | Creative SoundBlaster X-fi Elite Pro Sound Card