VOGONS

First post, by BurntOutElectronics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

G’day all,

A couple of years ago now I picked up this board off of eBay. With it came bios chips that are in Russian and thus, not really useful to me.
I’ll grab a photo of it tomorrow.
It uses two EPROM chips (27C512 from memory) in an odd/even config.
I was successful finding it online however, no bios dumps are available.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/unknow … 286-z#downloads

If anyone knows about this Taiwan made board with chips CS8221 chipset, or better yet, has a bios dump that might be compatible, let me know!
Thank you

Reply 1 of 7, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2* 27C512 is pretty big BIOS (plus a full set of DIAG tools in E000 segment), most of these mobos use 2* 27C128.
Looks to be pretty standard 286 mobo with CHIPS ICs, I have just posted a BIOS for a similar mobo: Re: 286 "CHIPS" mainboard with missing parts...

I would be interested in the Russian BIOS you have, please dump it if you have the means to do so. If it does use '512 EPROMs it might contain some useful additions that could be transplanted to other BIOSes.

Reply 2 of 7, by BurntOutElectronics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2023-07-22, 13:07:

2* 27C512 is pretty big BIOS (plus a full set of DIAG tools in E000 segment), most of these mobos use 2* 27C128.
Looks to be pretty standard 286 mobo with CHIPS ICs, I have just posted a BIOS for a similar mobo: Re: 286 "CHIPS" mainboard with missing parts...

I would be interested in the Russian BIOS you have, please dump it if you have the means to do so. If it does use '512 EPROMs it might contain some useful additions that could be transplanted to other BIOSes.

I’ll have a closer look tomorrow and add some photos of the board and ROMs. They’re either 256 or 512kBit each. As for reading them I do have a untested vintage ISA card based programmer I’ll have a play around with but I’m hoping to get a T48

Reply 3 of 7, by BurntOutElectronics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are the photos in question.
Indeed they’re both a 27C256 not 512.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 7, by led178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BurntOutElectronics wrote on 2023-07-22, 10:57:

A couple of years ago now I picked up this board off of eBay. With it came bios chips that are in Russian and thus, not really useful to me.

Hello!
Bios in the application.
I'm very, very interested in Russian bios 😀

Big photo

hddwxun8pgm1_o_zignyatv5ny0.jpeg

w6r2rquyif-duvvpwumqiw0prxe.jpeg

am0tdf6x5sisl92edyrqpp4veqi.jpeg

If you don't have a programmer, you can try reading the BIOS in NSSI or ASTRA7
BIOS shadow (if present) - disable.

Attachments

• Filename
    super286-z.rar
    File size
    38.46 KiB
    Downloads
    9 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I don't have the board but I agree with the others to save that Russian BIOS.

Because, knowing how it handles codepages and characters alone would be interesting.

Maybe it was originally being used with a CGA or Hercules card with a Cyrillic font ROM?

Who knows. Definitely being worth to be preserved. 😃

Tools like NSSI or one of these tools can easily help to dump the BIOS.

https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/bios.php

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thecheese2022 wrote on 2024-04-19, 20:52:
BurntOutElectronics wrote on 2023-07-23, 06:36:

Here are the photos in question.
Indeed they’re both a 27C256 not 512.

Could you dump the KOMPAN bios?

Unfortunately he has not been back since 2023-08-29 according to his profile...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun