Amd k6-2+ won't run higher than 66 mhz

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 62, by Florian J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-07-26, 18:58:
Florian J wrote on 2023-07-26, 18:22:

Alright so I got a Pentium mmx working on the motherboard again, I will update the bios to the latest version and if that doesn't help I'll use Jan Steunebricks patched bios.

Thanks for all the help 👍

The latest official version does not support K6Plus CPUs, so that will not change behaviour. That's why Jan has patched the BIOS.

For what it's worth I have the similar Tekram P5MVP-A4 motherboard and behaviour was exactly the same before flashing the patched BIOS. Afterwards it happily ran with my K6-3+ CPU.

Yeah I thought that updating the official bios would probably not change anything. I'll just use Jan's patched bios then, also thanks for the info 👍

Reply 21 of 62, by Florian J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-07-26, 19:59:
kixs wrote on 2023-07-26, 19:11:

Tekram P5MVP-A4 is not similar board to P5TX-Bpro at all.

Not P5TX-Bpro, but the P5M4-M+ OP was talking about first and that he is actually trying to get the CPU working on now, after finding it boots on the P5TX-Bpro but that one overvolts it badly.

MVP3 full ATX vs MVP4 uATX, but otherwise both similar last-gen (S)S7 platforms from Tekram with very similar BIOS with the exact same BIOS limitations that are fixed by Jan's patch (K6Plus and 64->128GB HDD limit)

Actually the P5TX-Bpro just overvolts by 0.1 volt, while the Tekram P5M4-M+ overvolts it by 0.2 since it can't go lower than 2.2 volt and the AMD K6-2+ is rated for 2.0 volts.

Reply 22 of 62, by Florian J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2023-07-26, 20:07:
Florian J wrote on 2023-07-26, 17:30:

I think I found the issue. The motherboard does not support 2.0 cpu voltage, which is what the cpu is rated for.

The first board you mentioned, P5M4-M+, seems to support 2,0V as the minimum. With all jumpers removed that is. Not directly illustrated as such, but it figures.
In general though, for socket 7: When you are unsure of CPU voltage settings, then don't try anything until you are sure. You can fry your Voltage-Regulator and/or CPU with the wrong setting. It is not user friendly like more modern motherboards.

I didn't know that you could remove all jumpers to get 2.0 voltage. I'll try that out tomorrow, thanks for the useful info 👍

Reply 23 of 62, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2.0v is usually all voltage jumpers removed

If the mobo won’t post after changing settings try a cmos clear I’ve run into that when changing cpu settings on ss7 boards

Showing 486 dx or pentium 66 or other weird things like that is typical when the bios doesn’t fully support the cpu

Look for a jan bios. (I think someone already mentioned)

Yes, 2x=6x

Your bios reported speed can’t be trusted, read it in software.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 25 of 62, by Florian J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've now installed Jan's patched bios and the motherboard detects the AMD k6-2+. I'm running it at 2.2 volt because the pc doesn't want to post if I remove all the jumpers to get 2.0 volt.

Attachments

Reply 26 of 62, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Florian J wrote on 2023-07-27, 10:36:

I've now installed Jan's patched bios and the motherboard detects the AMD k6-2+. I'm running it at 2.2 volt because the pc doesn't want to post if I remove all the jumpers to get 2.0 volt.

2.2v should work

It is likely that all removed is giving you 1.3v or around abouts. Some mobos do that.

Try seeing how high you can set the clock on the cpu now.

You should be able to do 550-650mhz a common config is 100x6 =600

I forget if your mobo has 100fsb though.

Edit: okay I see you have a 430tx mobo those are usually good for 75-83mhz fsb if they allow you to set it.

So you should be able to get 400-500mhz out of the cpu.

Do some tests, it may be faster with mobo L2 disabled.

Disable system bios caching

Which model of 2+ do you have? See my sig about unlocking to 3+

With the 2+ you should be able to upgrade to 256mb of ram

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 28 of 62, by Florian J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-07-27, 11:49:
2.2v should work […]
Show full quote

2.2v should work

It is likely that all removed is giving you 1.3v or around abouts. Some mobos do that.

Edit: okay I see you have a 430tx mobo those are usually good for 75-83mhz fsb if they allow you to set it.

Yes 2.2 volt seems to work fine. I've tested setting the FSB to 100 mhz and the multiplier to 5.0 giving me 500 mhz and that worked without any issues. I'm now using 5.5 multiplier and it works fine as well. 5.5 is the highest the multiplier on the P5M4-M+ motherboard will go, but I can set the FSB to 124 mhz. Also I have 256 mb of ram. I will do some stress testing with CPU-Z to see that it's stable.

Attachments

Reply 29 of 62, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote on 2023-07-27, 11:56:

OP has P5M4-M+. It supports 100MHz FSB.

Okay, I saw a model earlier in thread, must have misunderstood

So OP should be able to do something in neighborhood of 550-600mhz most likely

Edit: set cpu to 2x on the motherboard and see what speed that gets you 😉

Btw, I’ve messed with these systems a lot and programs run much faster and better with 9x/ME

At the very least, don’t use xp sp3 use rtm

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2023-07-27, 12:19. Edited 2 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 30 of 62, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Florian J wrote on 2023-07-27, 12:14:
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-07-27, 11:49:
2.2v should work […]
Show full quote

2.2v should work

Yes 2.2 volt seems to work fine. I've tested setting the FSB to 100 mhz and the multiplier to 5.0 giving me 500 mhz and that worked without any issues. I'm now using 5.5 multiplier and it works fine as well. 5.5 is the highest the multiplier on the P5M4-M+ motherboard will go, but I can set the FSB to 124 mhz. Also I have 256 mb of ram. I will do some stress testing with CPU-Z to see that it's stable.

When you setup the CPU multi to 2X on the motherboard. It will set internal CPU multi to 6X.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 31 of 62, by Florian J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-07-27, 12:15:
Okay, I saw a model earlier in thread, must have misunderstood […]
Show full quote

Btw, I’ve messed with these systems a lot and programs run much faster and better with 9x/ME

Thanks for the advice, I'll try running the cpu with the multiplier set to 2x. As for my choice of operating system, i just prefer using Windows xp since its what im the most familiar with. Also perfomance wise it runs very well in my opinion + i dont plan on using this system for gaming but rather as a retro daily driver.

Reply 32 of 62, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another computer working thanks to one of Jan's excellent patched BIOS! When I first set up my Asus P55T2P4 with a K6-2+ in 2001, it worked well enough with the original BIOS (It was stable and had no issue with POSTing with the Asus BIOS), but then I discovered Jan's page and updated it to a BIOS that he had patched to support the plus series K6-2. I appreciated having the correct CPU identification, but the more important part (which I didn't fully appreciate at the time) was that it enabled write allocate with the plus series CPUs.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 33 of 62, by Florian J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-07-27, 14:06:

Another computer working thanks to one of Jan's excellent patched BIOS! When I first set up my Asus P55T2P4 with a K6-2+ in 2001, it worked well enough with the original BIOS (It was stable and had no issue with POSTing with the Asus BIOS), but then I discovered Jan's page and updated it to a BIOS that he had patched to support the plus series K6-2. I appreciated having the correct CPU identification, but the more important part (which I didn't fully appreciate at the time) was that it enabled write allocate with the plus series CPUs.

Yeah i really appreciate Jan's patched bios, does he accept donations? Also thanks for providing me with the links to the websites 👍

Reply 34 of 62, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Florian J wrote on 2023-07-27, 13:09:
Show full quote

Thanks for the advice, I'll try running the cpu with the multiplier set to 2x. As for my choice of operating system, i just prefer using Windows xp since its what im the most familiar with. Also perfomance wise it runs very well in my opinion + i dont plan on using this system for gaming but rather as a retro daily driver.

Not sure what you plan to do with it but if it involves modern internet. It won’t work. You need a modern cpu for that. You need the instruction sets

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 35 of 62, by Florian J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-07-27, 14:29:
Florian J wrote on 2023-07-27, 13:09:
Show full quote

Not sure what you plan to do with it but if it involves modern internet. It won’t work. You need a modern cpu for that. You need the instruction sets

Im not sure what to do with it either. But I don't play many video games especially not any that would run on hardware this old. So I thought I could use it to watch anime if thats possible. It doesn't have a graphics card in it right now but Im planning on buying one at some point.

Reply 36 of 62, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You would have to use old codecs and players. But if you found or converted to videos that would play back then, it would work. Again, probably smoother playback on a lighter OS

I used to use a k62+-450 as a dvr to record and watch tv on windows mce. It barely worked

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 37 of 62, by Florian J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-07-27, 14:47:

You would have to use old codecs and players. But if you found or converted to videos that would play back then, it would work. Again, probably smoother playback on a lighter OS

I used to use a k62+-450 as a dvr to record and watch tv on windows mce. It barely worked

I have tons of dvds and the pc has a dvd rom so it will probably be fine.

Reply 38 of 62, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The onboard ATI Rage isn't terrible, but there are many PCI graphics cards that would improve performance. Another operating system to consider would be Windows 2000; it has most of the things that people like about Windows XP, but its hardware requirements are a little lower.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 39 of 62, by Florian J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-07-27, 14:52:

The onboard ATI Rage isn't terrible, but there are many PCI graphics cards that would improve performance. Another operating system to consider would be Windows 2000; it has most of the things that people like about Windows XP, but its hardware requirements are a little lower.

Yeah the only problem is I can't find any that work with the PCI slot that's on the motherboard. I will consider installing Windows 2000 or 98 SE.

Attachments