VOGONS

First post, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me, it's particular. Both work at the same time only when the PCI video card is initialized first.

Reply 1 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What motherboard are you referring too ? I do not remember that quirk with an Asus P2B-F...but maybe my memory has a parity error ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Worked for me in the past on VIA KT266 and KT333 when AGP was primary, TGUI9680 secondary for second monitor under win98... however older PCI cards don't work in secondary mode, and you can't use them in DOS unless you disable AGP in CMOS setup, presuming you've got a half decent BIOS that lets you do that.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 16, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also used a PCI card for a second monitor back in the Slot1/W98 days. IIRC only a handful of graphics chips could be used for it. No idea if it was a hardware, driver, or OS limitation. S3 Trio64 worked at least.

When the Geforce cards supporting more than one monitor came, I never looked back at dual card setups. No idea if it works better with more recent hardware/OS:es.

Reply 4 of 16, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know what it is, but I've had to get a dual-output card in order to use two displays at once.

The problem that I've had with at least two motherboards, if I wanted to use two video cards, is Windows 98 hanging when trying to access the Display settings in the Control Panel (i.e. the display positioning and the color depth.), if the BIOS is set to initialize AGP first. It also only works if the two display cards are by the same company, in the same era of production, with the same driver.

Reply 5 of 16, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
T-Squared wrote on 2023-07-27, 08:02:

I don't know what it is, but I've had to get a dual-output card in order to use two displays at once.

The problem that I've had with at least two motherboards, if I wanted to use two video cards, is Windows 98 hanging when trying to access the Display settings in the Control Panel (i.e. the display positioning and the color depth.), if the BIOS is set to initialize AGP first. It also only works if the two display cards are by the same company, in the same era of production, with the same driver.

Got some faint memory of having to set BIOS to initialize PCI graphics first too. No problems whatsoever using completely different graphics cards though. Had Voodoo Banshee, Riva TNT, TNT2 during that era, would guess I used all of them as the AGP card in a dual setup. IIRC I used the same old S3 Trio64 PCI card with all of them up until I got a GF256 with dual outputs, it only had to drive an 800x600 monitor for Photoshop and Freehand toolbars, IRC window, etc anyways. The mobos were an Asus P2B and later an Abit BH6.

Reply 8 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Next question: why do you need two monitors on a slot1 ? just curious 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 16, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At first, the dual monitor setup was for compatibility reasons, for a VR headset that used the VGA feature connector.

Unfortunately, it's any AGP and PCI video cards that I use. If it's not using the same driver and the AGP card is initialized first, the system freezes upon clicking the "Displays" option in Win98's Display Properties. (No response, nothing.)

Reply 10 of 16, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So its not the video cards at all, its Windows 98 and the way it handles its drivers. Which lets face it was always flakey even back in the day and thats why we had to go out and buy dual head video cards.

Reply 13 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Though any non-trivial use of win 3.x through 9x/ME involves a GDI problem somewhere 🤣

Another thing to bear in mind is cards/displays might not initialize properly without a load seen on the VGA port, either a monitor plugged in or a dongle/resistor to fake it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 14 of 16, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, this is weird... I was JUST able to get both cards to work in the same system on BOTH hardware profiles (AGP-as-Primary, and PCI-as-Primary)... Maybe it's what card is active when you install Win98?

I don't know at this point. Maybe it was the version of Win98SE that I used?: https://archive.org/details/win98-2nd.

Reply 15 of 16, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a GeForce 2 MX and a ET6000 card working together in Windows 98 (if I want to). I do not use it like that unless I want to compare monitors. I can just boot normally with AGP but I think you do have to connect a monitor before you boot or Windows will not correctly detect the output. Back in the day I had a colleague using two monitors on Windows 98 and that convinced me to buy a Matrox G400 (which is a single card) but the point is: he used two graphics cards so apparently it was a thing.

Reply 16 of 16, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is one thing that I've remembered, that I think was in the ASUS P3B manual. PCI/AGP seem to have hard-coded IRQs associated with them. There may have been an IRQ conflict, somehow.

In short, what other people have said in the past: swap your cards around in the slot? DO IT. That may be your problem.