VOGONS

Reply 40 of 46, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gamefan_851 wrote on 2023-08-01, 05:57:
zyga64 wrote on 2023-07-31, 20:44:
Yes, you can insert external graphics card in AGP slot and disable integrated S3 Savage, but this one is one of the earliest So […]
Show full quote
gamefan_851 wrote on 2023-07-31, 20:07:

[...]
https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/mainbo … 593491-225-9098

i am not sure if would be worth a purchase though. it says that has a on boad graphics unit and that's not what i am looking for because i am not sure if I can turn of the integrated graphics unit in the bios to use a real gpu.

Yes, you can insert external graphics card in AGP slot and disable integrated S3 Savage, but
this one is one of the earliest Socket A boards with SDR Memory (and its VRM capacitors are not in good condition).
Therefore I don't recommend it.
You'd rather look for something newer (KT400 and up). You may p.m. me as well 😀

Thanks a lot for the info. Then I will keep looking for something newer that thas the Kt 400 chipset or better).

edit: is there a particular mobo with the kt 400 or highter you would recommend?

If you want to be able to use all socket A/462 CPU, you should actually look for KT600 or above because even KT400A supports max 166MHz FSB (while supporting DDR400 ram). However KT400 and above is what I personally consider mature (less messing around, you plug it in and it works 😀 ...well almost.
But anyway, solving problems with retro hardware is what gives meaning to all the fun !

If we are talking about brands, I'll avoid ECS, Matsonic, Syntax, Mercury (and other exotic or less known brands) etc.
Those from Epox, Gigabyte, Asus, Abit, (late) Asrock, MSI should be generally OK.
But pay attention for bulging capacitors !

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 41 of 46, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zyga64 wrote on 2023-08-01, 12:48:
If you want to be able to use all socket A/462 CPU, you should actually look for KT600 or above because even KT400A supports max […]
Show full quote
gamefan_851 wrote on 2023-08-01, 05:57:
zyga64 wrote on 2023-07-31, 20:44:
Yes, you can insert external graphics card in AGP slot and disable integrated S3 Savage, but this one is one of the earliest So […]
Show full quote

Yes, you can insert external graphics card in AGP slot and disable integrated S3 Savage, but
this one is one of the earliest Socket A boards with SDR Memory (and its VRM capacitors are not in good condition).
Therefore I don't recommend it.
You'd rather look for something newer (KT400 and up). You may p.m. me as well 😀

Thanks a lot for the info. Then I will keep looking for something newer that thas the Kt 400 chipset or better).

edit: is there a particular mobo with the kt 400 or highter you would recommend?

If you want to be able to use all socket A/462 CPU, you should actually look for KT600 or above because even KT400A supports max 166MHz FSB (while supporting DDR400 ram). However KT400 and above is what I personally consider mature (less messing around, you plug it in and it works 😀 ...well almost.
But anyway, solving problems with retro hardware is what gives meaning to all the fun !

If we are talking about brands, I'll avoid ECS, Matsonic, Syntax, Mercury (and other exotic or less known brands) etc.
Those from Epox, Gigabyte, Asus, Abit, (late) Asrock, MSI should be generally OK.
But pay attention for bulging capacitors !

Thanks for your reply.. I have to agree tha solving problems and make different things to work is big part of the fun I have with retro hardware.

I am also aware that is really important to take a close eye at the caps. I am not able fo fix that but I hava buddy that is good at soldering so he could help me with that.

I will look in the kt 400 and above chipset range then.

Reply 42 of 46, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for bringing that topic again up but have another question.

What is your opinion about the Asus A7V333 motherboard. I have the chance to get one at a good price via a private sale (a friend of another friend of mine). I would also get a cpu for it as well. A athlon xp 2500 Barton.

The big plus of the main board would that it get some new caps too.

Do you guys think that a Asus A7V333 and xp 2500 barton would be a good starting point for my athlon system journey?

Reply 43 of 46, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A7V333 was considered decent board back in the day, but I think in the end it all depends on your plans for the build.

I don’t think you will have big issues with the board, especially if you are going to keep it stock. Having been recapped already is an obvious plus from the reliability perspective. From retro hobby perspective there is one thing to consider: it doesn’t have P4 power, so it relies solely on the 5V. This means that you need to use period correct PSU, which mostly require refurb nowadays. The other option is to use modern PSU, but you are easily looking at 1200W+ PSUs, if you want 30A on the 5V rails. You can probably manage with a bit less, but group regulated PSUs are out of the question.

Boards with P4 are mostly still heavy on the 5V. I started a sA project recently (MB has P4 connector) and decided to go with vintage PSU, which I’m going to recap.

Reply 44 of 46, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CharlieFoxtrot wrote on 2023-08-07, 04:24:

A7V333 was considered decent board back in the day, but I think in the end it all depends on your plans for the build.

I don’t think you will have big issues with the board, especially if you are going to keep it stock. Having been recapped already is an obvious plus from the reliability perspective. From retro hobby perspective there is one thing to consider: it doesn’t have P4 power, so it relies solely on the 5V. This means that you need to use period correct PSU, which mostly require refurb nowadays. The other option is to use modern PSU, but you are easily looking at 1200W+ PSUs, if you want 30A on the 5V rails. You can probably manage with a bit less, but group regulated PSUs are out of the question.

Boards with P4 are mostly still heavy on the 5V. I started a sA project recently (MB has P4 connector) and decided to go with vintage PSU, which I’m going to recap.

Thanks for reply. Yes having the chance to get a mainboard with new caps already is indeed a very big blus because I am not able yet to replace the caps by myself yet.

As of now my requirements for the board are low. I just want to have solid plattform for gaming purposes only. I will serve me as a gaming platform for win98SE game from 99 to 2002.

For early win98 games I already have my first intel 440 bx system with a Asus P2b mainboard and Riva TNT card.

Reply 45 of 46, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, it is good and being recapped is a huge plus, especially if you aren’t prepared doing that kind of work. IMO I’d consider something else if you would like to do some old school overclocking as there would be better options, but for stock sA rig it should be fine.

I will install my old sA water cooling stuff I still have for my rig and at least try to overclock it like it is 2001-2003 again. I managed to find EpoX 8RGA+ and some CL2 memory cheaply.

I can’t emphasize enough the PSU issue as that is something you need to solve somehow, or you might end up with unstable system. Or potentially fried components, if old PSU gives up the ghost.

Reply 46 of 46, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CharlieFoxtrot wrote on 2023-08-07, 06:53:

Yeah, it is good and being recapped is a huge plus, especially if you aren’t prepared doing that kind of work. IMO I’d consider something else if you would like to do some old school overclocking as there would be better options, but for stock sA rig it should be fine.

I will install my old sA water cooling stuff I still have for my rig and at least try to overclock it like it is 2001-2003 again. I managed to find EpoX 8RGA+ and some CL2 memory cheaply.

I can’t emphasize enough the PSU issue as that is something you need to solve somehow, or you might end up with unstable system. Or potentially fried components, if old PSU gives up the ghost.

In the long run I want to learn to replace the caps for myself but as of now I am not able to do it myself so I need help. Another advantage is to have seller that is in the same city and the he as some credit due to the fact that it is friend of a friend I trust.

Like I said i also want to learn a bit more about overclocking but for now I would use the system like it came from the factory (minus the new caps of course) so limitations for over overclocking are not really relevant.

If is good for just plain gaming I think I will take the offer.