VOGONS

First post, by NightShadowPT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

As have recently opened yet again my Compaq Deskpro M for troubleshooting other issues, and I have noticed that my graphics card has an expansion connector at the top, and would like ask if anyone knows what it's for.

The card is an EISA Compaq QVision 1280/E, part number 139183-001.

I am attaching a photo so you can all see the connector I am talking about (top of the card) - 25/26 pin connector

Thank in advance.

Attachments

NightShadowPT
----------------
Compaq Deskpro M 486/66 - 64MB Ram - Compaq QVision 1MB - Orpheus II Sound
Card - 4GB SCSI HDD + 4GB CF Card - SCSI CD-ROM Plextor PX-32TSi - Adaptec WideSCSI AHA-2740W - 3COM Etherlink III Card

Reply 1 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NightShadowPT wrote on 2023-07-29, 10:42:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

As have recently opened yet again my Compaq Deskpro M for troubleshooting other issues, and I have noticed that my graphics card has an expansion connector at the top, and would like ask if anyone knows what it's for.

The card is an EISA Compaq QVision 1280/E, part number 139183-001.

I am attaching a photo so you can all see the connector I am talking about (top of the card) - 25/26 pin connector

Thank in advance.

VESA connector

CPQ 1280E VESA.jpg
Filename
CPQ 1280E VESA.jpg
File size
985.98 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 7, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's meant to connect other video devices to the graphics card for control/video pass-through. I used that connector with a dedicated TV card in the mid-90s.

Dedicated MPEG decoders often used that connector as well.

Reply 4 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey, look at this: all 8 pixel data bits, the video clock, HSYNC and VSYNC! This is all dynamic data you need to create a digital (HDMI/DVI) output from that card. You also need to know the contents of the VGA palette registers, which likely can be snooped from the ISA bus like any motion video picture-in-picture board did at that time. Did anyone build a digital output option like this yet?

Reply 5 of 7, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkarcher wrote on 2023-07-29, 15:05:

Hey, look at this: all 8 pixel data bits, the video clock, HSYNC and VSYNC! This is all dynamic data you need to create a digital (HDMI/DVI) output from that card. You also need to know the contents of the VGA palette registers, which likely can be snooped from the ISA bus like any motion video picture-in-picture board did at that time. Did anyone build a digital output option like this yet?

Yes. Search this very forum for "crt terminator"

Reply 6 of 7, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just watched the YouTube video on the CRT Terminator. That's pretty neat. I like that the creator claims it would work for VLB-based graphics cards as well as ISA.

I wish I had better soldering skills because 200€ before shipping is a bit steep. I can't blame the creator for wanting to make money off the creation, but I can do a lot of other retro (and modern) stuff for that kind of money.

Reply 7 of 7, by NightShadowPT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-07-29, 11:13:

VESA connector

CPQ 1280E VESA.jpg

Thanks for the quick answer!

Also, cool to see it directly from the manual 😀

Had no idea these cards had this kind of interface... I don't think I'll have a use for it, but cool to know anyway.

Cheers!

NightShadowPT
----------------
Compaq Deskpro M 486/66 - 64MB Ram - Compaq QVision 1MB - Orpheus II Sound
Card - 4GB SCSI HDD + 4GB CF Card - SCSI CD-ROM Plextor PX-32TSi - Adaptec WideSCSI AHA-2740W - 3COM Etherlink III Card