VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Right underneath the soundcard. 16s into the video you posted.
exactly as in the first photo shown in this comment Re: Need help with floppy drive not working and/or alternatives. Also USB Support?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 21 of 28, by Kitty Trouble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I found it....

So I need a multimeter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Digital-Multim … 1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

And USB like this?

https://www.amazon.com/%EF%BC%882-Pack-Comput … 1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Will Windows 98's default driver handle this? I also don't know how to use a multimeter. Which I could try to find info on...but yeah

Attachments

• IMG_1117[1].jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1117[1].jpg
    File size
    74.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 22 of 28, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kitty Trouble wrote on 2023-08-06, 18:38:
I think I found it.... […]
Show full quote

I think I found it....

So I need a multimeter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Digital-Multim … 1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

And USB like this?

https://www.amazon.com/%EF%BC%882-Pack-Comput … 1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Will Windows 98's default driver handle this? I also don't know how to use a multimeter. Which I could try to find info on...but yeah

Those items should be all that is needed. The USB ports might be disabled by default in the CMOS settings, so be sure to verify that they are enabled. If you installed Win98 the preferred way (by copying the CAB files to the hard drive) then you won't even need to fish out your Win98 CD. If the ports are enabled in the CMOS settings, you ought to be able to have a look in Device Manager and see them now.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 24 of 28, by Kitty Trouble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-08-06, 18:46:

If the ports are enabled in the CMOS settings, you ought to be able to have a look in Device Manager and see them now.

Actually, it was enabled in CMOS, I enabled it before installing my PCI card. Could that have been what my computer was detecting, and not my PCI card? Could that be why my PCI USB card isn't working? I need help getting Win98se USB working

Reply 25 of 28, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kitty Trouble wrote on 2023-08-06, 18:52:

https://electronicshacks.com/how-to-test-a-mo … h-a-multimeter/ is a tutorial I found, what exactly will I be testing for using the multimeter and at what points?

You would need to verify that the pin header on the motherboard matches this illustration by setting the meter to check DC voltage. Pin one should be +5 on both sides, and pin four should be ground on both sides.

Attachments

Reply 26 of 28, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kitty Trouble wrote on 2023-08-06, 18:57:

If the ports are enabled in the CMOS settings, you ought to be able to have a look in Device Manager and see them now.

Actually, it was enabled in CMOS, I enabled it before installing my PCI card. Could that have been what my computer was detecting, and not my PCI card? Could that be why my PCI USB card isn't working? I need help getting Win98se USB working

There are many reason why the USB card might not be working - one thing that comes to mind is that it might rely on 3.3 volt voltage that isn't supplied by your motherboard's early PCI slots. If the USB ports on the motherboard will work, you'll be much better off using them.

Reply 27 of 28, by Kitty Trouble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so with the computer running test one end to the 5v and the other end to the ground. If I do it wrong way it won’t hurt anything but will just display as incorrect. Am I understanding that right? Thank you for the help..

Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-08-06, 19:00:

There are many reason why the USB card might not be working - one thing that comes to mind is that it might rely on 3.3 volt voltage that isn't supplied by your motherboard's early PCI slots. If the USB ports on the motherboard will work, you'll be much better off using them.

Reply 28 of 28, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kitty Trouble wrote on 2023-08-06, 19:10:

Ok so with the computer running test one end to the 5v and the other end to the ground. If I do it wrong way it won’t hurt anything but will just display as incorrect. Am I understanding that right? Thank you for the help..

Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-08-06, 19:00:

That is correct. Be careful with the meter's probes because you do not want to accidentally cause a short circuit by touching more than one of the USB port's posts at a time. The motherboard's USB header almost certainly will match the eight pin one that I've posted, but early USB implementation was all over the place so there is no substitute for being certain.