VOGONS

First post, by rcarkk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, i received this board recently and haven´t had any sucess with it with the onboard cache enabled. Tried all sorts of SDRAM modules ranging from single sided and double sided 64MB to 256MB, changing the SRAM options and timmings on bios.
The board seems to freeze when updating ESCD, using any K6-2 or Pentium MMX CPUs. This is with the onboard cache enabled. I can see in the table that 512kb are present like it should, but the co-processor is not installed.
The interesting thing is that if i use a K6-III which has integrated L2 cache, the board doesnt freeze when updating ESCD, the co-processor is present and i can enter MSDOS to do some testing, altough with success in only some programs.
Quake, Doom and some other utilities, give some errors and they simply dont start, returning to dosbench menu. The system manages to run speed sys 4.78 and cachecheck just fine though. Cachecheck says the system has 256kb and 512kb, so it´s indeed using the onboard SRAM and can complete the test with the K6-III. Ultimate boot CD has integrated Memtest 4.10 and when i select it, to start the test, the system reboots automatically.
Any thoughts on this problem? I guess it´s a faulty SRAM chip considering it works fine with it disabled, and i wouldn´t mind having your opinions. Thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

Last edited by rcarkk on 2023-08-04, 10:47. Edited 4 times in total.

Baby AT socket7 - Pentium MMX 233MHz + 3Dfx Voodoo
Socket 8 build - Soyo 6FA + Pentium Pro 200MHz + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB
PC Remake - Pentium III 450 + Matrox G400 16MB
The K6-III build

Reply 2 of 6, by rcarkk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-08-04, 10:34:

Have you checked L2 cache legs for some cracked solder joints?
It's not so uncommon to happen.

Not yet to be honest. I did only check with a magnifying glass, and legs look fine at naked eye, but i need to check that better...

The K6-III build

Reply 3 of 6, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some flux and a hot air wand. Re seat it.

But it may be safer to just disable the on motherboard cache if you have a k6-3 the performance difference can be pretty small. Sometimes disabled can actually be faster. Probably not on your motherboard though with 100mhz fsb

Try disabling system bios cachable. See if that does anything..?

Play around with other bios settings as well.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 6, by rcarkk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-08-04, 18:12:
Some flux and a hot air wand. Re seat it. […]
Show full quote

But it may be safer to just disable the on motherboard cache if you have a k6-3 the performance difference can be pretty small. Sometimes disabled can actually be faster. Probably not on your motherboard though with 100mhz fsb

It seems from what i read, that the MVP3 likes onboard cache, even with a K6-III/+. Ali V has less performance penalty.
What about BIOS rot? Do you think it´s possible?

The K6-III build

Reply 5 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcarkk wrote on 2023-08-05, 13:05:
Show full quote

It seems from what i read, that the MVP3 likes onboard cache, even with a K6-III/+. Ali V has less performance penalty.

Absolutely.
I usually reflash the BIOS when trying to troubleshoot.
Is it the cause of your issues? Can't say unless you give it a go. Bios corruption can happen at any level.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 6 of 6, by rcarkk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-08-05, 13:46:
Absolutely. I usually reflash the BIOS when trying to troubleshoot. Is it the cause of your issues? Can't say unless you give it […]
Show full quote
rcarkk wrote on 2023-08-05, 13:05:
Show full quote

Absolutely.
I usually reflash the BIOS when trying to troubleshoot.
Is it the cause of your issues? Can't say unless you give it a go. Bios corruption can happen at any level.

I guess it´s better to try a bios flash if i see no issues on the SRAM chip legs. First, backup the BIOS and compare it to the same one pulled from the web

The K6-III build