VOGONS

First post, by gryffinwings

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I picked up an old HP Pavilion 6350 socket 7 desktop at the local swap meet for $20 USD, condition unknown, but everything was there and didn't see anything unusual.

I have gotten it home, plugged it in and hooked a monitor to it, but all it does is power on for split second and turns off.

So I unplugged all unneeded things that were connected to the power supply and I do get it to post once, so I know that the motherboard, cpu, and ram are fine.

So now I need a suitable power supply for this rig, now while it is ATX, the form factor is a little different, I was wondering what options I have.

Attachments

• IMG_3626.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3626.jpg
    File size
    464.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_3627.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3627.jpg
    File size
    548.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_3628.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3628.jpg
    File size
    526.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_3629.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3629.jpg
    File size
    590.78 KiB
    Views
    File license

Main Computer: Custom - Intel 12900K, Asus Nvidia 3080 Ti, 64 GB DDR5.
Retro Computer: Packard Bell Legend I - AMD 286, 640KB RAM
Retro Computer: Dell Dimension 4400 - Pentium 4 2.8 GHz FSB 400 MHz, ATi Radeon 9600XT, Sound Blaster Live!, 768 MB RAM.

Reply 1 of 1, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Best option is to buy a refurbed or tested used one. Before anything I would use a voltmeter and test each voltage AND pull it out and use another ATX PSU that you know works as a test. Having the board POST once is no guarentee it is a stable board.
If board still does not boot easily then it a board issue.... be sure to use a ATX that supplies -5v as the original does (it may be required),,,,

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun