VOGONS

First post, by Kitty Trouble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Information about my computer:

Pentium 133 MHz
Windows 98 (Second Edition - it previously had windows 98, but I installed second edition in order to dry and get the drivers working. It was blue screening trying to install it with non-SE.)

I bought this device: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234720224068
Syba SD-NECU2-3E1I 4-Port ( 3-Int + 1-Ext ) USB 2.0 PCI Card NEC Chipset

It comes with a CD with the following instructions:

Installing Windows 98SE/ME driver
1. If you do not have a driver CD, read the following section
2. Once the Windows start, it will detect the NEC USB Open Host Controller is installed on the system and ask for its driver.
3. Browse to the follow location on the CD for the driver: D:\NEC\uPD720102\Win98SE\ME
4. Follow the on-screen instructions until the whole driver is installed completely
5. Once the driver is installed, you might want to restart your Windows.

Here are the issues I'm having:

Automatically detecting the device doesn't give me an option to choose a driver from CD. It automatically installs Intel 82371SB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller and USB Root Hub.

Trying to replace Intel Controller with a driver from the CD gives the following models:

Generic USB Composite Device fo USB2.0
Generic USB Hub for USB2.0
NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (Trying to install this option prevents Windows from booting)
NEC USB Hub for USB2.0

Replacing the driver with none of these options worked.

I also tried removing the USB drivers and installing nusb33e. It auto-detected the intel driver and USB Root Hub, again after reboot.

I'm not able to get my flash drive working, also I don't know if this matters but I tried plugging my speakers which use USB for power into the port, and they were not powered on at all.

Last edited by Kitty Trouble on 2023-08-06, 04:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is based on a fresh install, where you go from where you are I dont know.

Install Windows 98SE
Install nusb36.exe drivers
Install the PCI card

Ive never had any luck getting USB2.0 to work if the card is there before I install the nusb36.exe drivers.
Others may have a different solution.

Reply 4 of 7, by Kitty Trouble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, like, it doesn't even detect or power devices plugged into it. The speaker I plug in (which it should only use for power) lights do not turn on. My USB mouse does not turn on. I only plan to use it for storage, but is that expected?

Reply 5 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kitty Trouble wrote on 2023-08-06, 06:31:

Also, like, it doesn't even detect or power devices plugged into it. The speaker I plug in (which it should only use for power) lights do not turn on. My USB mouse does not turn on. I only plan to use it for storage, but is that expected?

No power on the usb ports with such a simple card likely indicates a problem with the card. failed fuse on the card seems likely.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 7, by Kitty Trouble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-08-06, 06:41:

No power on the usb ports with such a simple card likely indicates a problem with the card. failed fuse on the card seems likely.

I also have an issue with my floppy drive - it lights up, tries to read but cannot interact with the floppy at all. Came to the conclusion that it's likely a motherboard issue since a new drive and new cable didn't fix the problem. Could the same problem be causing this? Considering just getting an IDE to USB adapter..I need a way to transfer files from this PC.

Reply 7 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kitty Trouble wrote on 2023-08-06, 07:51:
weedeewee wrote on 2023-08-06, 06:41:

I also have an issue with my floppy drive - it lights up, tries to read but cannot interact with the floppy at all. Came to the conclusion that it's likely a motherboard issue since a new drive and new cable didn't fix the problem. Could the same problem be causing this? Considering just getting an IDE to USB adapter..I need a way to transfer files from this PC.

Seems doubtful they are related.
verify your +5v line on several locations, ie psu connector, somewhere on mainboard(ISA connector) , floppy psu connector, USB ports...

Many options have already been given wrt transferring files off of the pc in the other thread of yours.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port