VOGONS

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

on old systems, I feel like benchmark numbers kinda cheat to the reality of how the game plays, so I have decided to create a benchmark running Quake 2 on the lowest settings to compare the performance impact of not interacting at all with the system with interacting with it while running the benchmark.
All tests were done in 320x240 resolution, but also with audio enabled (lowest quality) since, most people don't play without listening t to any song haha.

Here is my spreadsheet of results that I got from my Ibm Thinkpad 235

WPoU8kX.png

on my case the benchmark was done with the following items:
- Internal Ketboard/Trackpoint.
- Internal USB
- PCMCIA USB board.
- USB RedDragon K621 RGB Keyboard.
- USB Gigatech G703 (As Mouse 1)
- USB Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 (As Mouse 2)

In short, surprisingly, the Gigatech mouse has a 100% performance impact, freezing the game when it moves, aditionaly, there is a 9% performance impact when using the internal mouse and keyboard (droping fps from 16.3 to 14.9) where when testing with an usb keyboard and mouse (the microsoft one) the performance impact was up to 27% (16.3fps to 11.9fps).

I couldnt validate a ps2 mouse since I am not sure if my ps2 slot is broken or not.

HOW TO RUN THE TEST:

quake 2 command:
```
timedemo 1
demomap demo1.dm2
```
when testing the mouse, all you need to do is move the mouse while the benchmark is running.
to test the keyboard you can press many times the scroll lock key (or any other key that doesn't open the menu/console)

Feel free to post the results from your setup.

Lastly, the idea is not to compare systems so the benchmark doesn't need to follow a strict rule on how to test it, but to just measure the performance impact when using I/o devices like mouse and keyboard during a game benchmark.

Reply 1 of 4, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont understand the picture at all 🙁
USB 2.0 has HUGE impact on performance of lower end systems, and judging by 10-16 fps you are running something socket7
Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards
USB 1 is better, but still bad

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 4, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-08-08, 00:56:
I dont understand the picture at all :( USB 2.0 has HUGE impact on performance of lower end systems, and judging by 10-16 fps yo […]
Show full quote

I dont understand the picture at all 🙁
USB 2.0 has HUGE impact on performance of lower end systems, and judging by 10-16 fps you are running something socket7
Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards
USB 1 is better, but still bad

I have tested it on a laptop.
About the Graph sorry for being confused, but let me explain,on the first vertical line I have the following I/O objects (2 usb mouses, 1 usb keyboard and the internal keyboard/mouse from the laptop), then another line showing if It's being plugged only (stopped), being used during the benchmark (moving) and disconnected. Lastly since it's an laptop, I added an extra label int/ext by comparing the internal usb controller to a generic pcmcia usb controller (ext).
The X mark just shows which status of each device was tested and at the end of the graph it shows the resulting the average framerate per second..
For example on the first test, both usb mouses and the usb keyboard were disconnected, and the internal keyboard and mouse weren't being used. On the 5th test, the Logitech mouse was connected to the internal USB controller and it was moving during the test, the other usb mouse and usb keyboard were disconnected and internal keyboard/mouse weren't interacted.

Reply 3 of 4, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ibm5155 wrote on 2023-08-09, 04:16:

I totally missed the model when reading first post, sorry
https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:235 = USB 1.1 Host Controller (OHCI).

PCMCIA USB board

usb 2.0?

About the Graph sorry for being confused, but let me explain,on the first vertical line I have the following I/O objects (2 usb mouses, 1 usb keyboard and the internal keyboard/mouse from the laptop), then another line showing if It's being plugged only (stopped), being used during the benchmark (moving) and disconnected.

I finally put my head on a side and it started making sense 😀 but there is 16 fps measurements and 17 X columns? oh the last one didnt fit 😮
if you rotate it 90 degrees clockwise it will be more readable and fit

- 2% here and there is nothing, might be measurement noise

- mouse 1 killing the system:
>USB Gigatech G703 (As Mouse 1)
USB report rate: 1000Hz (1ms), ten times the interrupts. Old system/drivers not optimized for fast pooling.

- measurement 8 doesnt make sense when looking at 11. Did you by any chance swap 8 and 9?
Im guessing PCMCIA USB board is 2.0 and this makes just plugging keyboard into it eat 10% of CPU time.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 4, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-08-09, 16:10:
I totally missed the model when reading first post, sorry https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:235 = USB 1.1 Host Controller […]
Show full quote

I totally missed the model when reading first post, sorry
https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:235 = USB 1.1 Host Controller (OHCI).

PCMCIA USB board

usb 2.0?

About the Graph sorry for being confused, but let me explain,on the first vertical line I have the following I/O objects (2 usb mouses, 1 usb keyboard and the internal keyboard/mouse from the laptop), then another line showing if It's being plugged only (stopped), being used during the benchmark (moving) and disconnected.

I finally put my head on a side and it started making sense 😀 but there is 16 fps measurements and 17 X columns? oh the last one didnt fit 😮
if you rotate it 90 degrees clockwise it will be more readable and fit

- 2% here and there is nothing, might be measurement noise

- mouse 1 killing the system:
>USB Gigatech G703 (As Mouse 1)
USB report rate: 1000Hz (1ms), ten times the interrupts. Old system/drivers not optimized for fast pooling.

- measurement 8 doesnt make sense when looking at 11. Did you by any chance swap 8 and 9?
Im guessing PCMCIA USB board is 2.0 and this makes just plugging keyboard into it eat 10% of CPU time.

the PCMCIA USB board is UnionBros USB UBH004 with transfer rate up to 12MBPs (so I assume it's USB 1.1)

Yeah the graph is a bit tough to read, not entirely sure the best way to show it, maybe multiple graphs would be better

Also the last column I didn't measure the performance so that's why it's missing

EDIT: Playing a bit with graphs with the original info:
LNVSLis.png
lkvzDM4.png

FPS change may sound minimal but on a lower FPS environment you can easily notice when you get one less fps haha.
Guess in summary, you should always opt for ps2 keyboard/mouse for better performance and also never expect the same performance of a game as measured on benchmarks, you may be penalized by 10% or more when playing the game