VOGONS

First post, by PDXTony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey!

I got an FIC VA-502 from eBay and today when I received it I noticed one of the heatsink mount tabs is broken from the ZIF socket.
If memory serves, these ZIF sockets also could support a spring-type of heatsink mount that would use the other tab to the side of the broken tab.

I cannot for the life of me find such a heatsink that uses the other tabs on the Socket 7 ZIF socket.

Mind please helping me find one? The motherboard works perfectly except for that broken tab on the ZIF socket and I really want to use it...

See the attached picture for the two alternative tabs I am referring to!

Thank you in advance!!
Tony

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    42.62 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you can find a socket for sale online it might be possible to replace the top part of the socket. I did that once.

Other alternative is gluing the heatsink on with thermal adhesive.

Socket A hearsinks have a three tab design that can work in this case but my experience is that they don’t work well when the center tab is broken. And they are too strong for socket 7 you need to bend them to be less tight.

But yes, there is a clip style heatsink clip. They are rare. And you need a special heatsink to hold them better.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah those spring clips that grab just the alternate tabs are very hard to find and are designed only for soc 5/7 and also soc 8 (that I ever found). There is a topic here about them but cannot find it right now...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 28, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-08-09, 02:47:

If you can find a socket for sale online it might be possible to replace the top part of the socket. I did that once.

The tabs for heatsink's clamp are on the lower part of the socket - the foundation part with the contacts for the CPU pins. I don't know of way to replace this part without desoldering and replacing the whole socket. If you do know, please share the knowledge.

I don't even want to comment on this solution 😁

Horun wrote on 2023-08-09, 03:14:

Yeah those spring clips that grab just the alternate tabs are very hard to find and are designed only for soc 5/7 and also soc 8 (that I ever found). There is a topic here about them but cannot find it right now...

Can you provide the link to the topic, please? I have a GA-6OXT mobo with one broken tab on its socket.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 4 of 28, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-08-09, 04:35:

You laugh, but it was quite common back in the 486/Pentium era for the heatsink to be attached with thermal tape to the CPU.

Can you provide the link to the topic, please? I have a GA-6OXT mobo with one broken tab on its socket.

Something like this for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293044369143 (it's a UK seller though, not sure where you are located). Some people even made their own with paperclips.

Reply 5 of 28, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once bought a SS7 mainboard with glued on heatsink. The CPU temperature went through the roof while the heatsink stayed cool. (At least) AMD CPUs need some pressure from the heatsink to make the aluminium lid touch the complete die.

Reply 6 of 28, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Take two clamps, the kind that have a slit in the middle. Cut them in the middle and glue them to the heatsink using epoxy. But like Sphere478 said, you can use a double-sided tape to glue the heatsink to the CPU.

41CE9GBIYyL._SX300_QL70_.jpg
Filename
41CE9GBIYyL._SX300_QL70_.jpg
File size
5.59 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 7 of 28, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2023-08-09, 05:40:

You laugh, but it was quite common back in the 486/Pentium era for the heatsink to be attached with thermal tape to the CPU.

I know that, but these CPUs are with factory glued heatsinks. But for the sake of a mobo with a crippled socket to cripple a processor... no thanks! Of course, this is my personal opinion, but others may like this epoxy-resin-ish solution 😀

TheMobRules wrote on 2023-08-09, 05:40:

Something like this for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293044369143 (it's a UK seller though, not sure where you are located). Some people even made their own with paperclips.

Thanks for the link! This already seems like a perfectly acceptable variant, but for socket A 😉 The "diagonal" pads on socket 370 are wider.

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 9 of 28, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Something that looks okay in my mental model that I will have to try, is unwinding the spring from a clothespeg/clothespin from the coil spring wooden type. All but one loop in which you stick a match, toothpick/cocktail stick through for locating it. Might need to upturn the ends of the prongs a bit to stop them slipping off.

edit: quick experimentation showed that my mental model was right about the length that could be achieved to be suitable if unwound, but did not take into account how the cheapy metal loses temper or whatever when cold worked and is easy to snap and loses it's spring... also the wire must kind of rotate when on the forming mandrel as the two L ends do not stay pointed right as you undo the coil, there's some twist in it. Potentially there are clothespeg springs that are better suited to this, but the ones I've got aren't.

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2023-08-09, 17:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The tabs for heatsink's clamp are on the lower part of the socket - the foundation part with the contacts for the CPU pins. I do […]
Show full quote

The tabs for heatsink's clamp are on the lower part of the socket - the foundation part with the contacts for the CPU pins. I don't know of way to replace this part without desoldering and replacing the whole socket. If you do know, please share the knowledge.

I think you may be right about the top part/tabs.

This is the one I serviced, I was trying to remember

download/file.php?id=151961&mode=view

Zeos motherboard project

Gluing the heatsink on on a socket 5/7 is a very viable option if the correct thermal rated adhesive is used. Many OEMs including intel did this.

Replacing the socket is also possible, I have installed sockets before, but never done the pleasure of removing one in a non destructive way haha. (Torch to salvage the socket, don’t do that if you like the mobo)

But if you wanted to replace the socket, you would probably rip the socket off leaving the pins standing there then remove the pins with a desolder gun one by one. Then install new socket. It can be done. It isn’t impossible. See my sig for the tyan mod

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 11 of 28, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-08-09, 17:20:
I think you may be right about the top part/tabs. […]
Show full quote
The tabs for heatsink's clamp are on the lower part of the socket - the foundation part with the contacts for the CPU pins. I do […]
Show full quote

I think you may be right about the top part/tabs.

This is the one I serviced, I was trying to remember

download/file.php?id=151961&mode=view

Zeos motherboard project

Gluing the heatsink on on a socket 5/7 is a very viable option if the correct thermal rated adhesive is used. Many OEMs including intel did this.

Replacing the socket is also possible, I have installed sockets before, but never done the pleasure of removing one in a non destructive way haha. (Torch to salvage the socket, don’t do that if you like the mobo)

But if you wanted to replace the socket, you would probably rip the socket off leaving the pins standing there then remove the pins with a desolder gun one by one. Then install new socket. It can be done. It isn’t impossible. See my sig for the tyan mod

That interposer PCB with own tabs and another socket might do the job for socket 5 or 7. (I doubt I'll find such thing for my broken socket 370.)

As for thermal epoxy resin solution - it may work for CPUs in all ceramic packages (for those without metal caps), but what about AMD K6-xx. Anyway I don't like this option. (In my case PIII/Celeron s.370 processors are with exposed silicon die or with metal caps for those with Coppermine-T/Tualatin core.)

If I have to desolder and then again solder 300+ tiny pins for CPU socket... better off to trash the mobo and buy another one - it's not worth the labor.

P.S. I think I'll try something like SSTV2's (don't know why call him "OP") solution.

Last edited by analog_programmer on 2023-08-09, 19:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 28, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-08-09, 17:59:

If I have to desolder and then again solder 300+ tiny pins for CPU socket... better off to trash the mobo and buy another one - it's not worth the labor.

tabs are on the moving part of the socket, afaik you can replace it without desoldering anything

Last edited by rasz_pl on 2023-08-09, 18:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 13 of 28, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-08-09, 18:14:

tabs are on the moving part of the socket, afaik you can replace it without desoldering anything

Really?! I have two motherboards with s.7 and three with s.370 (including the one with the broken tab) and on all these five motherboards the tabs for heatsink's clamp are on the socket's plastic foundation (non-moving part with the pins).

Reply 14 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah, forgot about the tabs I put on the interposer. That would work for sure.

You could quite easily just stack the PCB, the socket and the interstitial socket, and just use it like that without any soldering as a heatsink retention clip. Note not to order pcb too thick

file.php?id=142683&mode=view

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2023-08-09, 18:56. Edited 4 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 15 of 28, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

erm brain aneurysm, of course not! What I was thinking of? there is some other socket where the breaking part is mobile and can be replaced

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 16 of 28, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-08-09, 18:48:
Oh yeah, forgot about the tabs I put on the interposer. That would work for sure. […]
Show full quote

Oh yeah, forgot about the tabs I put on the interposer. That would work for sure.

You could quite easily just stack the PCB, the socket and the interstitial socket, and just use it like that without any soldering as a heatsink retention clip. Note not to order pcb too thick

file.php?id=142683&mode=view

A no-copper textolite PCB with holes for the CPU pins and tabs for the heatsink's clamp between the CPU and the damaged socket sounds like a good idea.

Reply 17 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gotta elevate the pcb to clear the crankcase of the socket. The interstitial socket does this in conjunction with the LIF socket. The area between has the proper elevation for such a pcb

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 18 of 28, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The socket can be disassembled and only that part can be changed, the donors can be socket 7 itself, socket S7, socket 370 with small modifications and socket 462 with more modifications, so patience and a little creativity are needed. I did that and showed it in this thread Heatsink glue for Pentium 233MMX?, but not my thread.

Reply 19 of 28, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hoping wrote on 2023-08-09, 22:02:

The socket can be disassembled and only that part can be changed .... Heatsink glue for Pentium 233MMX?

so I didnt have a stroke after all!