VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-08-09, 22:45:
Hoping wrote on 2023-08-09, 22:02:

The socket can be disassembled and only that part can be changed .... Heatsink glue for Pentium 233MMX?

so I didnt have a stroke after all!

This is locking (moving) top part - no tabs

This is foundation with tabs (bottom fixed part)

I have no idea how to remove the foundation plastic part with broken tab without breaking it from soldered to the mobo contact pins.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 21 of 28, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After protecting the motherboard with adhesive tape I lifted the bottom of the socket prying first with a knife and then with a flat screwdriver, it is not easy because it is quite hard. Patience and care, the danger lies in damaging the motherboard or bending the socket pins.
I was going through the parts I saved, and maybe I was lucky to have a Molex brand socket 370 and socket 7 was also a Molex brand.
And it may not be so easy in all cases.
I did the same on an Asus A7v8x which is a Socket 462, and it worked fine too. But everything has its risk in these things, you can also lift one or more traces by removing the socket accidentally.
In my case, if I wanted to change the Socket by removing it to put a new one, I would also remove the old one and removing the pins one by one, less heat to the motherboard and less risk of damaging it.
Sorry for my bad English, it is not my mother language.

Reply 22 of 28, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hoping wrote on 2023-08-10, 19:03:
After protecting the motherboard with adhesive tape I lifted the bottom of the socket prying first with a knife and then with a […]
Show full quote

After protecting the motherboard with adhesive tape I lifted the bottom of the socket prying first with a knife and then with a flat screwdriver, it is not easy because it is quite hard. Patience and care, the danger lies in damaging the motherboard or bending the socket pins.
I was going through the parts I saved, and maybe I was lucky to have a Molex brand socket 370 and socket 7 was also a Molex brand.
And it may not be so easy in all cases.
I did the same on an Asus A7v8x which is a Socket 462, and it worked fine too. But everything has its risk in these things, you can also lift one or more traces by removing the socket accidentally.
In my case, if I wanted to change the Socket by removing it to put a new one, I would also remove the old one and removing the pins one by one, less heat to the motherboard and less risk of damaging it.
Sorry for my bad English, it is not my mother language.

Thank you for the directions! I thought to use first a thin razor blade (from those old razors with just one blade) between the plastic foundation of the socket and the PCB to cut the glue that's holding the socket in place.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 23 of 28, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think the socket is glued, the pins are simply pressed into the socket and for that reason it is difficult to lift it, and you also have to exert a lot of force afterward to insert the pins completely into the socket.

Reply 25 of 28, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A long time ago I saw an eBay listing for a factory carton of new Socket-370 ZIF sockets. It was something like 250-300 of them, and the price was only like $40 shipped.
I didn't buy them because I thought it would be impossible to use them. What a mistake that was.

Reply 26 of 28, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah this is the thread I was tryna remember, other suggestions and a source for new sockets included... I broke the retention clip on this Socket 7 ZIF socket. How difficult is it to replace?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 27 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good search Bitwrangler ! Yeah this the spring clip I was thinking: Re: I broke the retention clip on this Socket 7 ZIF socket. How difficult is it to replace?
There is another topic here that also mentioned one in more detail (think it had dimensions) but cannot find it.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 28 of 28, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The clamps on the old AMD coolers have three notches, but the tabs on the socket 7 are larger than the notches on the clamp. So you just have to widen them up using the metal file.

amd_cooler.jpg
Filename
amd_cooler.jpg
File size
238.34 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
metal_file.jpg
Filename
metal_file.jpg
File size
56.91 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!