VOGONS

First post, by tomaszdko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I have the motherboard shown in the photo . I set up jumpers JP1 and JP5 and run the TX486DLC processor but not working . Screen black and both processors get warm .
If I add a second processor 386DX instead of 486DLC the motherboard boots .
What do I need to do ? Desolder the 386DX from the motherboard to be able to run the 486DLC?
Maybe some of you have a similar experience and can help .... (It's best if I don't have to desolder the 386DX )

20230809_152302.jpg
Filename
20230809_152302.jpg
File size
546.22 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

I have many motherboards but I want to keep this one in the best condition it can be. I have a second board same but it does not start 😒 (even though the voltages, timings on isa and cpu are correct)

Reply 2 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you installing it in the correct orientation? The triangle in the corner should line up with the triangle on the board next to the socket.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe you need to disable the onboard 386dx CPU first, this was discussed here: Re: New 486dlc build problem.
Read the posts after this and you will see pics as well

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Locutus wrote on 2023-08-09, 22:01:

Hi.
Remove coprocessor, If it still doesn't work try to 'disable' soldered CPU as keropi wrote.
For a test, just short pin 54 to 55 with a small screwdriver....

The board has jumpers for that, JP1 and JP5..
They're in the center of the board (red jumpers) and set to 386 according to the picture..

Edit: The OP apparently has tried changing them, if I read correctly. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 12, by tomaszdko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Veeb0rg - I tried with FPU and without + different jumper settings
debs3759 - The 486DLC had the correct orientation . The photo is illustrative , motherboard and CPU
Jo22 - correct 😀
keropi , Locutus - I think it would help 100% but as I wrote earlier. I don't want to desolder or solder anything on the motherboard .
I found a very similar motherboard https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/abit-ab-at3
As shown in the picture there is CX486DLC instead 386DX . I need to find another motherboard .
Thanks for the help.

Reply 7 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could be a faulty CPU, as it sounds like you tried everything else.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 9 of 12, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tomaszdko wrote on 2023-08-09, 14:58:

I have the motherboard shown in the photo . I set up jumpers JP1 and JP5 and run the TX486DLC processor but not working . Screen black and both processors get warm .

Is the mobo working with its soldered 386DX?
Figure out what jumpers JP1 and JP5 do, one (probably JP1) should be connected to the soldered CPU FLT# pin. Not sure what the other one is for, should not be needed and the description printed on the mobo might be incorrect.
Assuming the mobo does run with the soldered 386DX, try running it at 25MHz and then install the DLC CPU and configure jumpers, see what that does.
In fact try running the mobo without DLC CPU but with the jumpers set to DLC/socket - if it still runs then obviously the on-board 386DX is not disabled properly.

Original CPU might get quite warm even when disabled, this is not unusual. So long it's not burning hot it's OK.

Reply 10 of 12, by iyatemu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2023-08-10, 14:47:

Figure out what jumpers JP1 and JP5 do, one (probably JP1) should be connected to the soldered CPU FLT# pin. Not sure what the other one is for, should not be needed and the description printed on the mobo might be incorrect.

If his mobo is anything like mine was, there is no jumper present for /FLT and JP1/5 are for the DLC-specific signals like /A20M and /FLUSH or BARB (and unnecessary since they could have been connected the whole time since they never touch the 386)

The board is meant to only operate one CPU permanently, not be upgraded or switched at some point. For mine I needed to add a jumper that controlled #FLT, which might not exist at all on his.

Edit: Yep, looking at this, pin 54 is totally unconnected. There is no /FLT jumper and he needs to short pin 54 to 55.

tomaszdko wrote on 2023-08-10, 10:50:

I found a very similar motherboard https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/abit-ab-at3

Reply 11 of 12, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Locutus wrote on 2023-08-09, 22:01:

Hi.
Remove coprocessor, If it still doesn't work try to 'disable' soldered CPU as keropi wrote.
For a test, just short pin 54 to 55 with a small screwdriver....

Sometimes the flt pin is pulled high without a resistor and grounding it will make sparks. You must either test for this or lift it to be safe

I say again to be clear, do not short that pin to gnd without lifting it and isolating it. Unless you are sure it has a resistor between it and vcc

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 12 of 12, by tomaszdko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I wrote earlier. I have a second motherboard just like this one . I fixed 99% the motherboard (does not see the cache sram , I will do later) .I desoldered the CPU and installed the 486DLC , The motherboard start correctly .