VOGONS

First post, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
Asking for guidance. I don't need to ask my wife - I already "no" the answer.
It's a bit unclear what's at sale and it's a couple hundred km away.
What I do know is there's 13 more or less complete machines, ranging quite widely (486, P233, Alphastation all the way to Athlon64 6400+.
Also some Compaq Deskpros with Voodoo2's. Parts include AWE64's, FX5950 plus "all kinds of stuff, mice, floppy drives, cards, CPU's, ram".

What would you pay for a lot like this? disregarding the chance of silent treatment.

I like to find large lot's (not this large, though) for more or less free. Take what I want and sell the rest for just the shipping costs.
This would be a totally different endeavour. And investment, perhaps? with the chance of just about get even?

Reply 1 of 11, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's hard to say without knowing the condition of everything. Assuming things are working and in good condition, it could be worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

If stuff is in poor condition and not working, obviously it's worth a lot less.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 11, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oh2ftu wrote on 2023-08-10, 11:26:
Hi, Asking for guidance. I don't need to ask my wife - I already "no" the answer. It's a bit unclear what's at sale and it's a c […]
Show full quote

Hi,
Asking for guidance. I don't need to ask my wife - I already "no" the answer.
It's a bit unclear what's at sale and it's a couple hundred km away.
What I do know is there's 13 more or less complete machines, ranging quite widely (486, P233, Alphastation all the way to Athlon64 6400+.
Also some Compaq Deskpros with Voodoo2's. Parts include AWE64's, FX5950 plus "all kinds of stuff, mice, floppy drives, cards, CPU's, ram".

What would you pay for a lot like this? disregarding the chance of silent treatment.

I like to find large lot's (not this large, though) for more or less free. Take what I want and sell the rest for just the shipping costs.
This would be a totally different endeavour. And investment, perhaps? with the chance of just about get even?

Shponglefan wrote on 2023-08-10, 11:31:

It's hard to say without knowing the condition of everything. Assuming things are working and in good condition, it could be worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

If stuff is in poor condition and not working, obviously it's worth a lot less.

It depends both of the parts included but also on the parts you already have.
If you already have a/some Fx5950 or a/some voodoo2 (for example), you may not need more (unless it's a bargain)

For instance, I recently passed on an HD4870x2... I like this card a lot, but I already have two. An even if it was cheap, i ll keep my money for another part i don't already have. I sometimes do exception with parts I will resell or trade locally but it's rare.

If it's untested I would not go over hundreds €$
If it's tested, and the owner know the value, then expect more than a thousand. But really hard to tell without looking a the actual parts.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 3 of 11, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't forget that selling stuff is labour (testing, packing, sending) and 'couple hundred km away' sounds like picking it up costs quite some time+money. Then the space it occupies for several weeks (WAF of nearly zero)
That would have to be a real bargain to justify it. But if you are really sure it is, then go for it 😀

Reply 4 of 11, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that's the thing. What is a bargain? 100e? 500e? 1000e?
If it was more local, I'd already bought it.

Testing is part of the fun. Also repairing. But I don't really NEED any of it. Just looking for a 486 PC (preferrably Compaq CDS-924) and MAYBE an ATX-case.

This lot would have them (not a Compaq though) - and a lot more.

Reply 5 of 11, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me, testing stuff that I know I don't want for myself is only half the fun. And repairing stuff that will be sold is a waste of time (again: for me)
I would consider it a bargain if I know I get it for a fraction of the real market value. Not more than 25%. If it's unclear if the stuff is working then it's the market value in this condition. Not working.

Or this way: if you know that you get stuff that you want and would buy anyway for a higher price, then calculate how much you will pay here additionally for all the extra stuff.

Reply 6 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I had an empty room, I'd go to ~$600 on a deal like that, but that's about it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Couple hundred km both ways = petrol alone ~$100, whole day driving and loading/unloading another $hundred or more of lost wages. On top of that you dont want most of the stuff? Dont see a reason to go thru all of this, other than maybe wanting 'an experience'. Experience that will make you feel miserable 😀.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 11, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the end, "I" (well you know who really) decided it's not a good idea.
Too much stuff in unknown condition.
Also, we couldn't agree on a price as he found more stuff to sell. He wanted 400e for a Compaq deskpro P2 350 with a Voodoo2. So... no.

Reply 10 of 11, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

400E not for everything but only for the Compaq with a Voodoo2? Sounds like a great deal - for him 😁

oh2ftu wrote on 2023-08-11, 06:42:

In the end, "I" (well you know who really) decided it's not a good idea.

🤣