VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-08-18, 20:11:

So why not to sell all of that stuff as soon as possible since money can buy anything you need, also things that are outside of your hobby.

Because selling stuff costs time. I'd have to go through all of it and decide what to sell, then test it, make photos, make ads/auctions, communicate with potential buyers, pack it and send it. And none of those actions is fun (for me) but work.
Of course I'll have to do that as soon as possible, but it's nothing I'm looking forward to spending my free time with.

Reply 21 of 32, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2023-08-18, 23:32:

So why not to sell all of that stuff as soon as possible since money can buy anything you need, also things that are outside of your hobby.

Because selling stuff costs time. I'd have to go through all of it and decide what to sell, then test it, make photos, make ads/auctions, communicate with potential buyers, pack it and send it. And none of those actions is fun (for me) but work.
Of course I'll have to do that as soon as possible, but it's nothing I'm looking forward to spending my free time with.

Well, you always may give it away for cost of shipping instead. In that case you won't need to make photos, spend too much time for making ads and communication. 🙂

Reply 22 of 32, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I save only the rare parts. Dont buying low-end parts in general.
I have a lot parts around my hobby area. Mostly keep the older pre-pentium stuff.

Dont stock to much up with later systems after Pentium III machines. My intrest is more with the older systems.

I know that fixing things cost time.. But best to do it, just take the time you need to have.

If you make the first decision for collect parts and few year later you selling it, then you didnt make the right decision when first starting collecting it.
I know what it takes to have stuff around and repairing it..

Never going with the route, when needed then buying later. Prices will always going be expensiver over time. So its better to have something around.
If i have parts, that really cant using it, then just going to sell it and make someone happy with it.

Iam running these systems, for my hobby, and its also my part of my collection.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 23 of 32, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If selling stuff costs time, then ebay isnt the right thing to do.. Probably its better to get it to someone locally. Faster is just put it in a big lot and take it away from you.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 24 of 32, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote on 2023-08-18, 23:49:

If you make the first decision for collect parts and few year later you selling it, then you didnt make the right decision when first starting collecting it.

Or things were bought as an investment in something that interested you at the time, and the time has come to cash in that investment.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 26 of 32, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grem Five wrote on 2023-08-19, 01:22:

Wait...wait...wait... there is hardware we dont need?

Oh you are talking about Macs.

🤣. I have boxes of everything and dozens of computers. I was a hoarder until recently and admit it. When I pass my relatives will hate me because it is all junk to them but very valuable to most of you....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 27 of 32, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a bit of a packrat (although I tell people I'm a "collector", not a "hoarder") so I hate to throw out still useful items. I store my computer components in either their original boxes or basic component boxes, and stack them neatly. I often encounter times when I need some old component to solve a unique problem, and I'm glad to have one on-hand.

I'm pretty careful about what I buy, so I have very few duplicates of specific components. If I do have more than one, I usually had a good reason for getting a second.

About 20 years ago, I was really into hardware recycling since I had a lot less space to store things. I gave whole computers to other family members based on my unused parts. While I was glad to see someone else get some use out of those parts, I rarely got them back. In recent years, I've ended up rebuying those same parts I gave away for one project or another.

Reply 28 of 32, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I feel the same but also don't want to throw out working hardware.
If you offer job lots on places like gumtree/ criagslist or whatever you may get lucky and someone will take the lot off your hands.
I sold about 10 servers including rackmount kits, old UPS, filled the boot of my Volvo V70 to a guy.
Another guy who was buying an old Cisco router also ended up taking 2 car loads of old PC's, keyboards, screens, any anything else I was giving away.

I keep all Hard drives, optical drives, Video cards, and some Ram.
Even crappy video cards and ram are useful for testing.
I like having at least one spinning rust drive and optical drive in my PC and while cheep and plentiful now they will die out now that no one uses them.
I probably have more drives then I'll even need but this way I'm covered for those drives that die in storage.

Reply 29 of 32, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2023-08-21, 00:45:
I feel the same but also don't want to throw out working hardware. If you offer job lots on places like gumtree/ criagslist or w […]
Show full quote

I feel the same but also don't want to throw out working hardware.
If you offer job lots on places like gumtree/ criagslist or whatever you may get lucky and someone will take the lot off your hands.
I sold about 10 servers including rackmount kits, old UPS, filled the boot of my Volvo V70 to a guy.
Another guy who was buying an old Cisco router also ended up taking 2 car loads of old PC's, keyboards, screens, any anything else I was giving away.

Nice ! I like that idea. Maybe if I did a "lot" of dupe motherboards or sound cards someone might be interested but not sure how many vintage collectors there are on west coast of USA outside of the rare few I already know about.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 31 of 32, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't keep CRTs, I don't have any cases that I do not currently use but I store all floppy/hard drives I find (after I wipe them clean).

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 32 of 32, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-21, 07:08:

I don't keep CRTs, I don't have any cases that I do not currently use but I store all floppy/hard drives I find (after I wipe them clean).

Yeah, I've only got High end trinitrons left now. I also keep all the floppy, HDD and cdrom drives I come across, especially IDE ones.