VOGONS

First post, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Disappointed at my Soyo Dragon's lack of support for Thoroughbred CPUs, I did some digging and found some links to a mod that's supposed to allow Tbreds to work on this motherboard. It consists of adding a capacitor to a spot left empty (very easy) and removing a small surface mount capacitor (not so easy). The guide I found originally had a link to a .jpg showing the location of the cap that needs to be removed, but it's long gone. After much searching, I found a chart on the board that has C130, but I'm new at reading this sort of thing. Most of the components are labeled adjacent to where they are, but when there wasn't room they would have a chart. Unfortunately, C130 is one of the latter, and relating this chart to where C130 is actually located is making my brain hurt. Any assistance in locating the C130 capacitor would be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited by Repo Man11 on 2023-08-11, 01:27. Edited 1 time in total.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 1 of 7, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think, looking at the other “chart” that’s in view, and having been able to find that area of the board (next to the I/O end of the AGP slot, near the large-ish IC), the bit you are looking for is likely towards the camera, on an area of the board we can’t see in either shot.

Can you take another shot a bit more towards the far end of the AGP slot?

IMG_2333.jpeg
Filename
IMG_2333.jpeg
File size
312.37 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 2 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More than happy to take any shots needed. Hopefully this one has what you're looking for, if not don't be shy about asking for more. I like chart E - I see the chart, then just to the left of the ATX connector I see a region labeled E, and I can make sense of it. But for chart B, the relation to the board is as clear as mud.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 7, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Challange accepted...

Screenshot 2023-08-11 001706.png
Filename
Screenshot 2023-08-11 001706.png
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
" Add a cap(1000mfd-10v) at empty location ELC28 next to dimm slot #3, and remove very small surface mounted cap C130. Flash to […]
Show full quote

" Add a cap(1000mfd-10v) at empty location ELC28 next to dimm slot #3, and
remove
very small surface mounted cap C130. Flash to bios version 2BA7 and you
will be able to use up to a 2600/266 tbred "B"chip. NOTE: with bios version
2BA7, you MUST clear the cmos after EVERY cpu swap, or the D+ will do
nothing.
Make sure the atx power cable is disconnected before moving JP5. The green
led on the motherboard MUST be off, or the cmos clear will not work. "

https://forum.adrenaline.com.br/threads/poste … 771/post-749363

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 5 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It now works with both an XP2200 and an XP2400+! That makes me happy since limiting this board to a 2100+ Palomino seemed like a shame to me.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This seems to be the limit with this board/CPU. I'd like to try an XP-M 2600+, but good luck finding one. There have been times in the past where I could have picked up old laptops that may have had a mobile Socket 462, but I passed because they just seemed old and useless to me - I'll definitely be checking more closely in the future.

I replaced the passive NB heatsink with one with a fan. I don't know if it makes any difference performance wise on this board, but that's what they came with, and it looks better that way.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At 146 Mhz FSB, everything works fine, but as soon as I bump it up to 147, it will lock up during the Dragothic test. The temperature doesn't seem to be a factor, and bumping up the CPU voltage makes no difference. I think the 9800 is holding me back because it cannot tolerate the out of spec PCI bus. I should try it with my Ti 4600 and see if it will allow me to go higher since I recall that Radeon cards do not tolerate an out of spec PCI bus as well as Nvidia ones do.