VOGONS

First post, by bobsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought an IBM ThinkPad T42 (Type 2373-CTO) to see if it would be adequate for retro gaming with Windows 98, using SBEMU for games that need a sound blaster and doing the ATI driver hack to enable legacy rendering features. It should be arriving later today. It also came with a dock too which is a pretty sweet deal. The machine is specced out with 1GB of RAM (I'll try rloew's memory hacks to see if keeping it at 1GB could be stable and if not I'll limit it to 512MBs, does anyone know if there's instability when using 768MBs?), Pentium M 760 I think and a WiFi card that apparently works under Windows 98 which I'm interested in. I'll be replacing the BIOS battery upon arrival as well as installing a KingSpec IDE SSD at 64GB and using rloew's respective tool for the TRIM command as well as disabling defragging. Anyone have experience with these SSDs? They had good reviews on Amazon but of course they would.

The reason I choose the T42 in specific was that it was the final ThinkPad to ever be sold with Windows 98 preinstalled, and the last with the i855PM chipset which was compatible with 98 (As well as OS/2 Warp and NT4.0 in that matter) as the T43 featured the later i915 chipset not officially compatible with 98 but I've seen some make it work regardless.

I will post about the thing when I get home. The machine has a Mobility Radeon 9600 so I will also be running benchmarks with the final 9x vanilla ATI drivers available as well as the final ATI omega drivers for 9x. If there are any other drivers for the card or any other hardware for that matter I should try out, please let me know and I'd be happy to try.

PIII : ASUS CUSL2-C, Pentium III @ 733MHz (Coppermine), Voodoo3 3000 AGP, 384 MB SDR, Audigy 2 ZS,
C2D : ASUS P5Q, Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz (Wolfdale), Radeon HD 5750, 4GB DDR2-1066, 256GB SSD

Reply 2 of 8, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-08-11, 15:38:

T4x thinkpads with discrete gpus have tendency of dying quickly, same for T6x with nvidia

I actually succeeded in reflowing a T43 some 10 years ago, in the oven ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Afaik ATI gpus break/melt off the PCB and can be reflowed, Nvidia ones are just broken internally (between die and interposer) and heating only heals them temporarily. If this one still works fine make sure to cool it extra well.
you will need sbemu for pure dos gaming Re: SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97 Re: SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To improve cooling, Get R52 notebook 15" with GPU in it, replace the board with T42p motherboard as R52 didn't have radeon 9600. The heatsink used in GPU R52 is much better designed.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the long T42 M10 heatsink (the one that would be used on a Radeon 9600/FireGL) is fine. My T42 is more than 18 years old and was still working last time I checked. Though of course it has not been used heavily in more than a decade.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 8, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a T42 with the Radeon Mobility 9000. It's an awesome retro computer! I use it for DOS with it's beautiful screen.

I pair it with the IBM Dock II and a discreet audio card (Aureal Vortex) to make a compact retro battle station.

The CPU responds well to slowdown utilities.

Attachments

• T42 on Desk.jpg
    Filename
    T42 on Desk.jpg
    File size
    158.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Dock 2 Closeup.jpg
    Filename
    Dock 2 Closeup.jpg
    File size
    128.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by bobsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ran into some hurdles getting drivers but had a stable system. I cannot for the death of me find out what the WiFi card in this thing is in Device Manager (PCI Card, PCI Ethernet Controller or Unknown Device?) nor which one it even is in general. I've tried many drivers but haven't found anything that works which is really unfortunate. I really wish there was a 98SE restore disc for this thing online (I know they exist) I could use instead of going on a manhunt for everything. I'm probably going to redo my 98 installation and dualboot it with XP so I know there's something that'll always work.

The SoundMAX audio chip actually has SB emulation which suprised me, I don't think it was capable of FM (or at least I wasn't able to get it to work) but it did at least give me sound in Doom. The only problem is that I couldn't figure out how to get it to use anything but the EuCom MIDI synth (which in my case I was trying to make doom use the yamaha S-YXG100) the drivers came with. I even removed it as a MIDI device in the Multimedia settings but it still somehow was playing the music in Doom. Is there a way to set up SBEMU in Windows 98 without having to go in DOS mode? That might help and give me FM emulation as well.

fosterwj03 wrote on 2023-08-12, 02:16:

I have a T42 with the Radeon Mobility 9000. It's an awesome retro computer! I use it for DOS with it's beautiful screen.

I pair it with the IBM Dock II and a discreet audio card (Aureal Vortex) to make a compact retro battle station.

Nice setup. Got something similiar going on here with the Mini Dock.

PIII : ASUS CUSL2-C, Pentium III @ 733MHz (Coppermine), Voodoo3 3000 AGP, 384 MB SDR, Audigy 2 ZS,
C2D : ASUS P5Q, Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz (Wolfdale), Radeon HD 5750, 4GB DDR2-1066, 256GB SSD

Reply 8 of 8, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bobsmith wrote on 2023-08-14, 02:54:
I ran into some hurdles getting drivers but had a stable system. I cannot for the death of me find out what the WiFi card in thi […]
Show full quote

I ran into some hurdles getting drivers but had a stable system. I cannot for the death of me find out what the WiFi card in this thing is in Device Manager (PCI Card, PCI Ethernet Controller or Unknown Device?) nor which one it even is in general. I've tried many drivers but haven't found anything that works which is really unfortunate. I really wish there was a 98SE restore disc for this thing online (I know they exist) I could use instead of going on a manhunt for everything. I'm probably going to redo my 98 installation and dualboot it with XP so I know there's something that'll always work.

The SoundMAX audio chip actually has SB emulation which suprised me, I don't think it was capable of FM (or at least I wasn't able to get it to work) but it did at least give me sound in Doom. The only problem is that I couldn't figure out how to get it to use anything but the EuCom MIDI synth (which in my case I was trying to make doom use the yamaha S-YXG100) the drivers came with. I even removed it as a MIDI device in the Multimedia settings but it still somehow was playing the music in Doom. Is there a way to set up SBEMU in Windows 98 without having to go in DOS mode? That might help and give me FM emulation as well.

fosterwj03 wrote on 2023-08-12, 02:16:

Nice setup. Got something similiar going on here with the Mini Dock.

There are several possible Wifi cards models with a T42.
https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T42

You can test drivers for all, or open the laptop and visually check the mini PCI card. If you can't find a driver at all, you can probably also change the card.

I used to play Diablo II on Linux on my Thinkpad T22. I bought it refurbished for 300€ in 2006. My first laptop ever. I needed one for university.
I immediately replaced Windows 2000 with Debian Linux.
Diablo II with Wine worked like a charm on Linux.
I still have this T22 today but not in the best shape.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)