VOGONS

First post, by disaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again 😀

Another interesting piece of hardware here.
Basically SCSI internal/external controller + 1 IDE connector (so 2 drives) + 2 FDD connectors (so 4 drives) and of course BIOS included.
I've searching for the model but with no luck.
Picture bellow:

IMG20230812223749.jpg
Filename
IMG20230812223749.jpg
File size
282.16 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The scsi part is same as FD TMC-850. Doubt the dual floppy part will work unless the motherboard bios supports 4 floppies or you use a driver.
No enable/disable for floppy, IDE or scsi so is def an OEM specific adapter.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by disaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-08-12, 23:24:

The scsi part is same as FD TMC-850. Doubt the dual floppy part will work unless the motherboard bios supports 4 floppies or you use a driver.
No enable/disable for floppy, IDE or scsi so is def an OEM specific adapter.

Yeah SCSI part is common for many FD cards.
Frankly using 4 floppy disks with motherboard does not support it, is quite simple. I've even done this using two regular floppy controllers with different address settings.
All you need is custom ROM in place. You can even put this ROM IC into socket on network adapter card or so.
If I remember correctly there is even software way.

On this particular adapter there is an option to disable HDC or FDC on board. There are jumper above BIOS IC.
Anyway I still wonder what model of card is this? 😀

Reply 3 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks I did miss those two jumpers for FDD/HDD enable. The scsi chip TMC950 was used on TMC850 series controllers and if you choose low IRQ (2,3 or 5) can be used in a 8bit XT slot.
Is there any marking on the back of the card ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 9, by disaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-08-13, 15:28:

Thanks I did miss those two jumpers for FDD/HDD enable. The scsi chip TMC950 was used on TMC850 series controllers and if you choose low IRQ (2,3 or 5) can be used in a 8bit XT slot.
Is there any marking on the back of the card ?

Only chinese stamp and serial number CI20002039.

Reply 5 of 9, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Coincidentally I bought the same card some weeks ago 😀 With box, but I think it's only a reseller. The box says 'SIL-5300' by the company 'Silicon'. The booklet says 'CI-2000 SIF'. SIF apparently stands for 'SCSI, IDE, Floppy', CI-2000 matches your serial number.
I even have the disk with driver for four disk drives. Unfortunately at the moment I have no system running with a 5.25" drive so if you want that you have to be patient.

Reply 6 of 9, by disaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanSolo wrote on 2023-08-13, 16:46:

Coincidentally I bought the same card some weeks ago 😀 With box, but I think it's only a reseller. The box says 'SIL-5300' by the company 'Silicon'. The booklet says 'CI-2000 SIF'. SIF apparently stands for 'SCSI, IDE, Floppy', CI-2000 matches your serial number.
I even have the disk with driver for four disk drives. Unfortunately at the moment I have no system running with a 5.25" drive so if you want that you have to be patient.

That's nice coincident 😀
Patience is my second name so I will appreciate disks images whenever you will get them 😁

Reply 7 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a similar card - can't check it right now, but likely it's the same model, only without the IDE connector.
And I got it bundled with 16 diskettes:

2 x FDC-OS/2
2 x XENIX
2 x FDU-CD
2 x NOVELL 286
2 x NETWARE 386
2 x SETUP
3 x THE DISK MAESTRO
1 x PowerSCSI!

Attachments

• Filename
    fdscsi.rar
    File size
    2.04 MiB
    Downloads
    31 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 9 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2023-08-13, 17:43:
I've got a similar card - can't check it right now, but likely it's the same model, only without the IDE connector. And I got it […]
Show full quote

I've got a similar card - can't check it right now, but likely it's the same model, only without the IDE connector.
And I got it bundled with 16 diskettes:

2 x FDC-OS/2
2 x XENIX
2 x FDU-CD
2 x NOVELL 286
2 x NETWARE 386
2 x SETUP
3 x THE DISK MAESTRO
1 x PowerSCSI!

Thanks ! saved it with some pictures of the controller to my FD archives. Thinking it would be a good upload to the library as the readme's mention
TMC 1660, 1680 and TMC 850, 860, 875, 885. plus motherboards with TMC-1800/TMC-950 built in...