VOGONS

First post, by IndyQuotient

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there. I've been building a few PCs similar to the ones I owned in the early and late 90s. 486DX4100, Pentium 233MMX, P3 933 etc... And then I learned of the existence of Protoweb, which I imagine lots of folks here are familiar with. Anyhow I've started putting network cards in these systems and I chose the Dlink DFE-530tx. This card worked fine in my 486 running Windows 95. So I got another one and put it in my Windows 98 machine and I just can't get the driver to line up with the hardware.
I remember Windows 98 being quite a pain when dealing with driver issues, but I've forgotten most of the tips and tricks used back then.

So far I have 2 Dlink original driver diskettes for the DFE 530TX. And I downloaded the latest (2001) driver from D-link. None of these drivers automatically line up with the card. And I'm forced to specify a driver, which hasn't worked so far.
The windows 98 SE installation is running some parts of the unofficial 98 SP3 to help reduce some bugs and provide USB 2.0 support. Other drivers such as S3 virge, 3dfx, AWE64 all work fine. It's just the network card I can't get going.

If anyone has any tips or things to try for general Win98 driver issue, I'm all ears. I'm hoping to not re-install Windows, but perhaps I've screwed things up with the unnofficial SP3. Anyhow thanks for giving this a look!

Reply 2 of 6, by IndyQuotient

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It show's the DFE-530TX in the device manager, but it says there's a problem with the driver. Yield sign etc.
Anyhow I moved the card to a different Win98 box, and used the downloaded driver. It worked there for an hour or so, I restarted it and it was still working. Then I restarted again and now the device won't show up in the device manger. Even after refreshing I can't even find the hardware.
I don't think it's a bad card, as this is similar behavior to Win95, except for the missing device in device manager.

Reply 3 of 6, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IndyQuotient wrote on 2023-08-13, 13:19:

Hello there. I've been building a few PCs similar to the ones I owned in the early and late 90s. 486DX4100, Pentium 233MMX, P3 933 etc... And then I learned of the existence of Protoweb, which I imagine lots of folks here are familiar with. Anyhow I've started putting network cards in these systems and I chose the Dlink DFE-530tx. This card worked fine in my 486 running Windows 95. So I got another one and put it in my Windows 98 machine and I just can't get the driver to line up with the hardware.

There are several hardware revisions of Dlink DFE-530TX(+) based on different network chipsets. What's yours ? Can you provide VEN & DEV of the PCI device?

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 4 of 6, by disaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IndyQuotient wrote on 2023-08-13, 17:31:

It show's the DFE-530TX in the device manager, but it says there's a problem with the driver. Yield sign etc.
Anyhow I moved the card to a different Win98 box, and used the downloaded driver. It worked there for an hour or so, I restarted it and it was still working. Then I restarted again and now the device won't show up in the device manger. Even after refreshing I can't even find the hardware.
I don't think it's a bad card, as this is similar behavior to Win95, except for the missing device in device manager.

I know that the device manager on 9x hasn't been perfect but at least there is error code 😀
You can make a photo for example.
You can also try Windows 95 drivers.

Reply 6 of 6, by IndyQuotient

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wasn't able to get the VEN & DEV. But after shutting off the PC for a while. The DFE-530TX decided to show up again, and now works with the driver. I didn't reset the bios or change the PNP\IRQ settings. It's now working again. Which is confusing since this is similar behavior to my Win 95 box.

Thanks anyhow.