VOGONS

First post, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

This is my MFM Hard-disk Controller 8-Bit ISA Card.
May be its CXT-101.

It was in running condition when used years ago. (This is not a scrap-card)
Now, when testing, I only noticed that there is a short on +5v line!

Can you pls help me to identify the Capacitors and those few ICs with no markings on it?
It will be a great help.

Also, pls share your pics if you have similar card.

Attachments

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 1 of 12, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look for a schematic of the ISA bus slot. Then its easy to find the pin on you card to see where the 5volt plus line is.

And then look at those yellow tantalum capacitor and check which one is the shorted one..

Did you also test you system to see if the fault wasnt on your motherboard.?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 12, by disaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

+5V pins B3 and B29. They are on the other side of the card. B1 is located closest to the bracket.
First element on +5V rail is usually electrolytic capacitor (C10 on your board).
It should be placed between +5V (B3) and GND (B1). So you can start searching there.
And be aware what are you doing. The capacitor may show short for a while when using multimeter with very high internal impedance.

Reply 3 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks like a WDXT-GEN2 clone. I have a WDXT-GEN2 somewhere, will take a good picture....
added: You can read the IC's but cannot read the caps, even with a magnifier they are difficult....

Attachments

Last edited by Horun on 2023-08-13, 15:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 12, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-08-13, 15:40:

It looks like a WDXT-GEN2 clone. I have a WDXT-GEN2 somewhere, will take a good picture....

Thank you soooooooooooooo much.

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 5 of 12, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
disaster wrote on 2023-08-13, 15:30:

And be aware what are you doing. The capacitor may show short for a while when using multimeter with very high internal impedance.

Oh!
To be honest, my MFM ISA Card and my MFM HDD PCB (ST-225) both showing short in +5v line.
But, no such short when testing my 8-Bit ISA CGA card or those 16-Bit Trident VGA cards.

Reply 7 of 12, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
disaster wrote on 2023-08-13, 16:05:

The question is what are we assuming as short.
10 ohms will beep on most short detectors but it's only 500mA on 5V 😀
Wdc2010 IC supply current is 220mA

Hmmmm.... I need to rethink.
Because, it was a running card (decades ago), then put in a box and stored after newer PCs....

Thanks a lot for the tip.

Reply 8 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

probably no help but you can read some of the caps in this pic.

Attachments

• Image2s.jpg
    Filename
    Image2s.jpg
    File size
    115.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 12, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-08-13, 16:20:

This is HUGE help!

Reply 10 of 12, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you pls do one small test ?
Pls measure resistance value between +5 line and GND with a Multi-meter.

Reply 11 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ayandon wrote on 2023-08-13, 18:37:

88-89 ohms, either direction is same with in 1 ohm (- to GND, + to +5 and + to Gnd, - to +5v)
If it were me: I would unsolder and pull out just one leg of each capacitor, specifically the Electrolytics first. Then take a reading and see if you are 50 ohm or better.
Then do same with tantalums, leaving one leg out as you progress thru the caps.
If not then one of the ic's is most likely shorted....

Reply 12 of 12, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-08-13, 21:57:
88-89 ohms, either direction is same with in 1 ohm (- to GND, + to +5 and + to Gnd, - to +5v) If it were me: I would unsolder an […]
Show full quote
ayandon wrote on 2023-08-13, 18:37:

88-89 ohms, either direction is same with in 1 ohm (- to GND, + to +5 and + to Gnd, - to +5v)
If it were me: I would unsolder and pull out just one leg of each capacitor, specifically the Electrolytics first. Then take a reading and see if you are 50 ohm or better.
Then do same with tantalums, leaving one leg out as you progress thru the caps.
If not then one of the ic's is most likely shorted....

Thanks a lot for this awesome tip and guide.