VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

As the title says, I've been watching for some time many of your builds with several soundcards working, with no conflicts. But now I'm in a situation where I actually have to learn how it's done, my research left me confused still.

I've been gathering some unsalvageable parts from my small number of extra parts for recycling, and in the process I realized that I can both save even more space, and make something useful of what will remain that's working if I just turn it into an alternative Win98SE build.

So using the only case that I had extra and using these parts that remained as surplus for one reason or another, here it is:
- ASUS CUV4x
- Pentium III 733Mhz
- GeForce FX5600 Ultra (didn't see it listed in the 45.23 drivers but I assume it's supported)
- 2x128MB PC133 RAM
- Sound Blaster 24-bit! SB0410 (according to conflicting statements I'm not sure it even has drivers for Win98SE but we'll see)
- Any cheapo ISA soundcard I can get my hands on that keeps me away from emulation

A few questions related to the title and other overall ones:

1. Planning to just launch some late DOS games from within Win98SE, do I need to actually install the ISA soundcard in Windows? Is plug and play an advantage or a problem in this context, or it doesn't matter and I just have to point to the card via IRQ and DMA in the games' setup?

2. I have a 2.1 speaker setup, with the cable connecting to the subwoofer as usual. How do I use both the PCI and ISA soundcards at the same time? A passthrough cable from ISA to PCI, or a Y cable that connects both directly to the subwoofer, or some other solution?

3. I have a very cheap ALS007 Avance SB16 compatible card available in the area, which is plug and play. Would that be a viable option for some basic DOS sound that's not emulated to launch within Windows?

4. This build will go for games until 1999 max., is 256MB RAM more than enough or will I need 512MB?

Felt good putting this together for nothing (until now) while saving space at the same time, I love putting unused stuff to use. Getting over the hump here's hoping it's smooth sailing from there.

Thanks for your replies and help as always!

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm the Sound Blaster SB0410 is actually part of the Audigy family, a variant of SB0400 Audigy 2 Value. There were never any Win9x drivers ever released by Creative, just WinME and above as it was targeted for XP.
This topic may help with getting it to work under Win98SE but not sure how that goes with a DOS window ... Audigy 2 Value (sb0400) Windows 98 SE driver
see cyclone3d's post at the end: Re: Audigy 2 Value (sb0400) Windows 98 SE driver

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-08-14, 23:59:

Hmm the Sound Blaster SB0410 is actually part of the Audigy family, a variant of SB0400 Audigy 2 Value. There were never any Win9x drivers ever released by Creative, just WinME and above as it was targeted for XP.
This topic may help with getting it to work under Win98SE but not sure how that goes with a DOS window ... Audigy 2 Value (sb0400) Windows 98 SE driver
see cyclone3d's post at the end: Re: Audigy 2 Value (sb0400) Windows 98 SE driver

Hello, thanks a lot, I only intend to use the SB Live 24-bit! for Windows, I assume that despite my many doubts the ISA card can take over in the DOS Window if I point the games' setup to it?

Reply 3 of 3, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the bump but I'd like to know from your experiences, PCI soundcard hurdles aside, do I need to install the ISA soundcard in Windows 98SE or is it enough to point the DOS games to the card through setup? Is plug and play a helpful feature or should I look for a ISA soundcard without it?

Lastly, do I just connect a cable from the ISA soundcard's line out to the PCI soundcard's line in?

Thanks everyone