I Felt Conflicted at a Yard Sale

Topic actions

First post, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"HUGE SALE," read the sign.
DECADES of STUFF.

I had a chance to stop by on this country road to see what they had. Probably crap. Lots of cars, few people. I guess the cars were all theirs? Anyway, I sort of blocked half the driveway. Quite a bit of computer stuff, actually. This wasn't the first day of this sale, maybe not the second or third either. They had the standard stuff, clothes, children's toys, some old lawn chairs, random office things, bicycles.

So after looking it over I went over to the computer stuff. A random external V.90 modem was on a desk. There was a basket full of some kind of connectors in the original packaging. I don't even remember what it was. That is how uninteresting it was. I hovered near 3 or 4 computers. The guy called over "those are all free!" Oh...ah.

So what were they? Well my man. We had an HP of some kind. No cards, just a complete looking system. Some sort of memory, some sort of hard drive. Got to get to work.

There was a classic Dell and by classic I mean a black one. Probably XP/Vista. I wonder how exploded the capacitors were. I was tempted but I couldn't see anything interesting, couldn't open it up since I didn't know how, and yeah. The serial number tag was bleached. I could read the tag but not what OS it was.

Then there was a beige system. My general feeling on that is "take everything," but hear me out. This thing looked beat up. It had what I guess was a CD or DVD drive. And a 3.5" floppy. Type? No fucking clue, got to get to work. It didn't look that old. But with a parallel port and a floppy drive I guess it was like a P4 or some such. It was missing two drive bay doors, er, blanking plates. And there was tape over that (the hole in front). WTF. The back...sigh. The motherboard's port plate was missing. Seemed like a coating of dirt or dust inside. Light cobwebs. I mean, I've seen and heard of way worse, but it looked like something that needed work. Had the basic stuff, some CPU, some memory, some hard drive. No cards at all to speak of.

So, anyway, I was bored and stressed. Got to get to work. I could take them, but WHY? So I can have some junk projects I lack the skill to even bring to fruition? Maybe I should have taken the Dell. But then again, MEH. Cramming my apartment with yet another junk computer. It felt sacrilegious or arrogant to leave good parts, perhaps to the trash. But man, these systems were beat, nothing special, just...not even that nice. I don't care for or need high end, special systems with rare cards. What I actually really want is clean, original, working stuff. And this stuff was not that clean and beat up. And I didn't want the task/responsibility of taking the systems for some parts and dealing with the rest.

Feast and famine is how it goes. And this, this is the famine.

Reply 1 of 35, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sometimes feel this way when going on my weekly flea market tour. Often it's good to just take a step back and just try to remember if you ever wanted or even thought about wanting the thing you're looking at. If you haven't, then that means you don't need it and it will just sit in a dark corner, which is actually worse than it going to a recycling center, where it just might get dissembled for some parts to be used again.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 2 of 35, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gut feeling is pretty important in what is after all a hobby - if you're not relishing the though of enjoying something, why do it? As you describe those systems I would have skipped them too. In my case that's at least in part because P4 isn't really my era, I go for 5-10 year older stuff. But even if it had been exactly up my alley in terms of period, they don't sound particularly attractive.

That said, some of my best finds were in utterly vile decrepit systems; I got a Voodoo3 3000 PCI uit of a tobaccco-filled falling apart system that someone actually wanted money for (though nowhere near the going rate of a working V3) and a PowerVR PCX2 from a system that seemed to have been thrown out of a window before being dumped at our rubbish pickup point. The motherboard was a completely shorted-out PC Chips model, but the 3D card was fine. Still, those are the exceptions. Usually filthy unloved systems contain exactly the parts you'd expect.

Reply 3 of 35, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We're at the point where buying old hardware to run old software is becoming less and less of a good idea. Apart from the impracticalities and difficulties of acquiring and maintaining these things, it's also becoming less necessary, as the publishing companies now have standing orders to remaster and re-release old games that have market value and the new operating systems and emulation software are becoming easier to work with. I can only think of a few hardware things (MIDI modules, to be specific) that I'd genuinely be interested in acquiring if I was at a yard sale or anywhere else where I'd come across them and for me, I'm generally content with newer hardware, especially since we now have a working VST MIDI driver and Windows will be making great improvements in future use of MIDI technology, for musicians and gamers.

Reply 4 of 35, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-08-15, 10:31:

We're at the point where buying old hardware to run old software is becoming less and less of a good idea.

I guess. I used to run a P200 MMX for a real mode Windows game (but just as much to randomly play with). Today I would probably try to emulate Windows in Dosbox to run it.

Reply 5 of 35, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's that implied bad luck of "looking a gift horse in the mouth" (Basically meant if given a horse, you'd be picky about taking it if it's teeth were worn, meaning it's old.) but I think it only applies in your "network" of friends, family, coworkers who you have "on the lookout" for stuff for you, anything they get for you, take and be grateful, even to pass along, otherwise they'll just think you are all talk and won't bother in future. Random stuff that you come across incidentally, that's just stock in the store of life, you'll be able to buy beans at the store another time, even when you turned down the opportunity last week to buy all the beans on the shelf.

A couple of decades back I'd grab anything that had or used a CPU, but I try to avoid large items now, space is finite, so I am selective. I will say there is something in having a "complete POS" around that you can pull random parts off though. Even if it's just the odd jumper or HDD led cable, saves you $10 every time, since that's prolly what you'll end up paying with shipping etc if you buy things like that at need, even if it's 99c for 1 or 20. But yeah you don't wanna go too wild with that either in small apartment.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 35, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last fall I was lucky enough to get a grab bag of stuff for $50.00. It included a VooDoo 3 PCI, and Nvidia 6800 Ultra, and several motherboards. I've had a great time with this stuff. Two of the motherboards needed to be recapped, and after doing so they worked perfectly. I've played many hours of games on the 6800, and my most recent project was recapping the Soyo Dragon Plus board, which came out perfect. But then I discovered (to my disappointment) that the board didn't support Thoroughbred CPUs, but after some searching it turned out there was a hardware mod you could do that would enable these CPUs to work on this board. Once I did that, it worked perfectly with an XP 2400+. The satisfaction I get from this sort of thing would be mystifying to the uninitiated, but until they have a virtual reality simulator that allows you repair and modify hardware, there is no software substitute for this sort of thing.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 7 of 35, by ChrisXF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sometimes I leave my number and tell them to call me if the stuff doesn't go - don't trash it. I've only once had a call from that, so usually someone else got the machines who really wanted them and enjoyed them (well that's not 100%, but more likely than I would have collecting for collecting's sake).

I sometimes do that with my retro collection too. Sure, I could have 8 C64's of various period and condition, but if I know someone who is fascinated by them but maybe doesn't have the means to get into it, well, they get it for free / cheap. Again, I've had nothing but good experiences doing that - one we guy even washed my car and cut my grass for me in return, 🤣

I just remember being a kid and buying Commodores for $10 and tearing into them, or a neighbour giving me a broken console to fix up, I learnt so much and it happens a lot less now when everything has an eBay value, or scrap gold value, and it's rare you get something for nothing.

Reply 8 of 35, by NTG2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I first started getting interested in computers, I'd take literally anything I could get. The crappiest of Celerons, this week's discarded P4 Dell Dimension, some random old barely functional laptops that a friend's family would give me, etc.
Of course as the years went on I'd find better and better stuff, and I was quickly running out space. It eventually got to a point where I realized that if I just wasted all my storage space for stuff like that, I wouldn't have room for cool stuff anymore and I'd just be forced to re-donate or even trash those systems and ultimately waste my money.

I basically only buy or keep stuff that's genuinely interesting to me, or that fills a hole in my collection. And whenever someone gives me a really mediocre system that I already have like two or three similar ones to, I usually just end up dropping them off at the thrift store. Usually after nabbing the hard drive in case it has anything on it so I can wipe it or other components that won't make the system non-functional like extra RAM.

I had to get over the mindset that "if I don't take this, it'll end up in the trash." It was hard at first, but ultimately has been beneficial to me personally and has let me continue enjoying the hobby without feeling like I need to be some sort of all encompassing "Hardware Protector" who valiantly saves poor old forgotten machine from the landfill. I still save machines when I have a need for them or they're something I don't find often (like pre Pentium 4 era stuff), but when you're coming across your dozenth P4 system and like 5th Core 2 Duo, there's a point where you just have to say "NO!" And hope that it ends up in the hands of someone else who can use it.

Reply 9 of 35, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apart from filling my apartment with more junk, I try to approach this from a financial perspective. While you could try to grab as much old hardware because it is becoming more rare, you can also look at how much money you are saving. For some people here, the savings could be enough to make it worthwhile to invest in mutual funds. You can use that money to buy something you really want in a few years. That's how I look at the various old computers that I could have bought for a good price, but didn't have the time to work on. Yes, I could have gotten a nice Amiga 500 and some peripherals for $350 a few years ago, but it would have sat in a closet and collected dust. Even if the price doubles for something similar in a few years, I can't really say that I missed out on it.

This is somewhat similar to people who invest in comics or boxed copies of games. It might seem like a steal to sell a comic for $100, but it wasn't a good investment if you had to hold onto it for 20 years. My time is also worth money to me. I've seen someone post the same ads for super expensive boxed copies of old games over and over again for years. If he ever sells them, the profit vs time wouldn't even amount to minimum wage.

Reply 10 of 35, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hwh wrote on 2023-08-15, 07:13:

but WHY?

Easy. You take it, you sell it then buy stuff you want with the money. Why did I take all that old medical analyzer stuff that was trashed recently? It was old and probably used to buttfinger people but who cares? There are people out there interested in retro medical stuff so I sold what I could and made $140. Now I have $140 extra for this hobby or whatever I want without putting strain on the family budget. If something doesn't sell it goes in the trash.
I only kept one thing, that good old-fashioned commie blood pressure monitor that needs to be pumped furiously and monitored with a stethoscope. Works like a charm and has that classy doctor stuff look to it.

Attachments

• 1692165975224.jpg
    Filename
    1692165975224.jpg
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 1692165975212.jpg
    Filename
    1692165975212.jpg
    File size
    176.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 35, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've also done the "if no one take it give me a call"
Typically I'll keep the optical and hard drives (I like spinning rust) at the very least, try to sell or give away the rest and still no takers it's thrown out but at least it's been given 1 final chance.

Reply 12 of 35, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-08-15, 23:04:

My time is also worth money to me. I've seen someone post the same ads for super expensive boxed copies of old games over and over again for years. If he ever sells them, the profit vs time wouldn't even amount to minimum wage.

As someone who trades old games, perhaps I can offer a perspective.

I have bought several copies of the same game. Not as an "investment." I have never done that and I rather look down on that concept. I was just trying to get a good copy. But here comes another one for less money. Now I have two. So I want to sell the lesser one - at a loss, no doubt. I do this because I want an appreciater/collector to have it, not some thrift shop or free pile. And if it doesn't sell, then I simply have two copies. At least eBay auto-relists now. You used to have to repost items every week. Go back far enough and it had to be an auction. Now you can just list a warehouse of whatever and ignore it unless someone buys something.

I put NOLF on my watchlist. Often times there were no boxed copies for sale at all. But usually there was some worn copy offered for too much money. I bought two copies (for the reason above, actually I probably bought 3 or 4 due to shipment errors, and returned them). But I was intrigued by the listing and kept it for years. Finally it happened. A new copy (not that I was looking for one, just an excellent open copy).

MBbfb2K.png

Yeahhhh...

Reply 13 of 35, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hwh wrote on 2023-09-04, 09:01:
As someone who trades old games, perhaps I can offer a perspective. […]
Show full quote
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-08-15, 23:04:

My time is also worth money to me. I've seen someone post the same ads for super expensive boxed copies of old games over and over again for years. If he ever sells them, the profit vs time wouldn't even amount to minimum wage.

As someone who trades old games, perhaps I can offer a perspective.

I have bought several copies of the same game. Not as an "investment." I have never done that and I rather look down on that concept. I was just trying to get a good copy. But here comes another one for less money. Now I have two. So I want to sell the lesser one - at a loss, no doubt. I do this because I want an appreciater/collector to have it, not some thrift shop or free pile. And if it doesn't sell, then I simply have two copies. At least eBay auto-relists now. You used to have to repost items every week. Go back far enough and it had to be an auction. Now you can just list a warehouse of whatever and ignore it unless someone buys something.

I put NOLF on my watchlist. Often times there were no boxed copies for sale at all. But usually there was some worn copy offered for too much money. I bought two copies (for the reason above, actually I probably bought 3 or 4 due to shipment errors, and returned them). But I was intrigued by the listing and kept it for years. Finally it happened. A new copy (not that I was looking for one, just an excellent open copy).

MBbfb2K.png

Yeahhhh...

I can see how someone would buy up games to preserve them for collectors and sell them at a price that deters people who aren't that interested in them and only buy it because it's cheap. There's a guy who buys vintage computers and repairs them locally. He sells his excess hardware at cost and won't sell them to people looking to flip them for a few bucks. I actually really appreciate that. However, I'm not sure if that's the motivation with the guy trying to sell games locally for really inflated prices. He's literally been listing the same ads for years now. I think he probably sees eBay prices and thinks he'll get those amounts locally. Otherwise, I would expect him to sell them at a price that a collector would likely think is reasonable.

Reply 14 of 35, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I try to stick to my policy of "grab & regret later". Especially if it's free or cheap. So many items in the past I have left on the table and regretted later. You know the scenario? You walk away to think about it and return to find it gone.

Reply 15 of 35, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote on 2023-09-04, 14:48:

I try to stick to my policy of "grab & regret later". Especially if it's free or cheap. So many items in the past I have left on the table and regretted later. You know the scenario? You walk away to think about it and return to find it gone.

I tried that, but I tend to end up with stuff I do not want or need and insufficient "humane" options to dispose of hardware that someone else might find useful, so I hoard it.

Not buying it in first place relieves me of that "responsibility".

Just the way my brain is (mis)wired, I guess.

Reply 16 of 35, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A couple of weeks ago, someone left 5 CRT TVs on the curb for trash pickup. Just average old CRTs, nothing really special, but 5 of them. The thing is, I already have too many CRTs and old computers. I don't even have enough room for the stuff I have. I would have loved to get those CRTs to collectors and people who would appreciate them, but am I realistically going to take the time and effort to do that? No way. So on the one hand, kindof a tragedy, but I had to be realistic about it. They would have taken up a TON of space at my place, and it would have just been hoarding.

I think past a certain point, you start to be more and more selective in what you bring home, and you try to get rid of things (if you can bare to) rather than bring them in. Otherwise it becomes like hoarding. Do you really have the time and space to use all of the things you have? If not, maybe just have the ones you really love and use. Something like that. I try to just have one of things, and only things that are super meaningful to me, but of course I'm a collector like anyone and I violate that all the time, but I think it's good to try to stick to it anyway. In the near future, I'd like to get rid of some of the stuff I have that I'm not using.

I've heard older collectors say that there are two phases to life: collecting things, and then distributing them out away from yourself to people who will appreciate them. I would hate the idea of collecting a bunch of stuff only for it to end up in the trash one day without me ever having used it. I'd rather keep it to the stuff I really love and actually use, or try to anyway. There are some motherboards on ebay I've been eyeing, but I don't want to take them away from other collectors who need them. I'm kinda rambling, but I hope this all makes sense.

Reply 17 of 35, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Long ago (mid 2000's, an early Saturday morning) stopped at a yard sale on way to work, lots of tables of stuff and items all around the big front porch area. Looked around and only one thing jumped out at me:
A Technics SA 5760 with a "for a $50 or best offer" tag, guy there said it works, noted it had some minor damage to speaker connectors so I asked if he would take $20 and that was all the cash I had on me.
He said he take the $20 only if no one else wanted it, so gave him my name and phone number and told him I really wanted it and please don't not sell it for less than my offer and I will be back.
He mentioned he was moving and everything had to go by that night but he would be there until dark. (I never really understood that but figured he be at his new place overnight)..
I told him I be back later in the day and I was, hours before dark. To my surprise when I stopped back by, all the tables, all the stuff was gone... except that receiver.
It was sitting on the front porch steps so knocked on the door, no answer, looked in window and saw no furniture, went around to garage which was open and it was empty too.
Well I left a note and said call me about the receiver and grabbed it. Never got a call. I still have it and it still works.
Ok that was not the beginning of my collecting old stuff but it reinforced the idea I should grab it now even if I am not sure I want it because those type situations almost never happen that way.
To this day I still cannot believe he left that receiver just sitting there, waiting for me to stop by and get it. Do you have any idea what that thing is worth now ? And it still works.

Ok is not computer related but relative to the story line....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 18 of 35, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-09-04, 11:02:

I think he probably sees eBay prices and thinks he'll get those amounts locally.

Right, lots of optimists on eBay when pricing things. But it does come down to whether they really want to see things sell or what. I have some items listed that just never sell - because they aren't worth what it costs to ship them. But people just pick a number and if the supply is low enough they might get it. Someday.

The thing about games, prices, collectors and eBay is that, there are dozens of CD copies for each boxed copy. And they are almost universally cheap. Anyone who wants the games and isn't concerned with boxes and manuals and stuff (lol, why care about that??) can get the same, original discs as the ones in that $860 copy above for more like $20 if that. Most people just going for the disc I presume aren't collectors as much as people who just want the games to play.

It hurts me to see good stuff destroyed. I once volunteered at a place for e-waste and recycling. How it worked was they took the newest stuff and put it in a thrift shop setting, you know, wipe the drives, install some new OS, make it "practical" for modern use. But they also received massive quantities of pretty much every kind of vintage stuff. This was about 10 years ago. Their concern with the recycling was to separate toxic components meaning any PCB from metals and plastics. So here's some disabled people ripping apart Pentiums, you know, here's a bin with CPUs, one with a great pile of memory, mostly DDR but some SDRAM and probably EDO. Here's a STACK of 5 1/4" hard drives, the ones uh....I forget who made them, the half height 5 1/4" from the 90s. Got to rip the IDE off the platters, sort the pieces, grab a tool and unscrew everything from everything else. And it just made my eyes water. They said put in so many days and you get a free system. Like, I want the ones we're ripping apart, not the crap in the shop. I couldn't handle that at all. If I were made of steel I should have said "let me know when some old stuff comes in and I'll buy it." I couldn't handle the insanity.

Very frustrating that everyone sees treasure as trash. Don't we have enough actual crap to differentiate?

Reply 19 of 35, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I get conflicted too.. Mostly because I don't feel like having more than I'm going to use myself.

Recently I was offered to take a couple of computers from a friend , I did not really need an other laptop, but I know I could resell them and make a couple 100$ but I don't really have the time and interest to do so. Also if you pick up something just for resale I feel you should be open with it and actually pay for them but then I'm conflicted because I know that arguments about money can destroy friendships.. In this case I told him he could put them on auction and roughly what they are worth but I said I can take them if he's going to recycle them..