VOGONS

First post, by Pentaerythritol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I got an Athlon 64 3200+ CPU with a broken cooling fan and I was looking for coolers. Are there any coolers that are compatible with the 939 socket and still relatively easy to buy new? It's really difficult to find just a cooler on the second hand market in my country for this socket and I don't want to buy a whole PC/CPU/motherboard for this.

Reply 1 of 4, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know your region, but generally, coolers for socket 939 are among the easiest to find, new and used. For example, here's a list of models that are still being sold in my country (Germany):

https://geizhals.de/?cat=cpucooler&xf=817_754 … t=p#productlist

If you're looking for used ones, the problem is that many sellers don't list it as "Athlon 64" or "Socket 939" cooler, so just do a generic search for CPU cooler and then go by the images. Or if it's just the fan that is broken, and it is a generic size, why not keep the cooler and just get a new fan?

Reply 2 of 4, by XCVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any AM2 or even AM4 compatible heatsink that clips onto the stock mounting brackets and isn't so big it causes clearance issues should work, as long as you have those brackets (AM2/AM3 and AM4 use different brackets so you'd need to source a 939 one if missing).

Deepcool used to make a line of cheap, "good enough" coolers with universal mounting that would work, but they seem to be gone now. The Wraith Prism and Wraith Max should fit, as will the ultra-cheapo aluminum cooler that comes with AM4 Athlons, but the Wraith Stealth and Wraith Spire screw into the backplate and won't work. There are generic universal coolers on eBay and AliExpress that should work although I wouldn't expect too much in terms of performance or noise level.

Reply 3 of 4, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pentaerythritol wrote on 2023-08-17, 14:26:

So I got an Athlon 64 3200+ CPU with a broken cooling fan and I was looking for coolers. Are there any coolers that are compatible with the 939 socket and still relatively easy to buy new? It's really difficult to find just a cooler on the second hand market in my country for this socket and I don't want to buy a whole PC/CPU/motherboard for this.

* AMD Wraith Prism (comes with Ryzen 7), lots of them available since people don't usually use them on new processors
* Arctic Cooling Freezer64 (all models), can be found on eBay for cheap

AMD retained cooler compatibility across sockets so there is a lot to choose from.
There is also older Wraith (for FX 8350), if you can find one. IMHO, they look better on s754/s939.
For example:

Wraith_FX_1.jpg
Filename
Wraith_FX_1.jpg
File size
117.15 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Wraith_FX_2.jpg
Filename
Wraith_FX_2.jpg