VOGONS

First post, by jamesN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got a Compaq Deskpro 466, and it worked fine for a while before it started to have issues powering on from cold boot and then eventually only the lights on the front would light up with no display or speaker beeps. I assumed it was the power supply, which has a proprietary, non-AT power connector for the backplane board. After some research I was able to find the pinout online with one person they were able to get an ATX PSU working with their Prolinea 466 (uses the same PSU). So I tried soldering the connectors onto an old ATX power supply which seemed to work, it turned on and beeped normally. I didn't have a display or keyboard plugged in since I turned it on outside in case it started smoking or caught on fire (this is like my second time soldering anything and I have no clue what I'm doing; yes, I am a dumbass.) Everything was fine for several power cycles over the course of maybe 10 minutes, but I realized the floppy drive wasn't turning on. After some more power cycles it started to have a long, loud beep right after pressing the power button, then a couple short ones instead of a short one or two beeps after several seconds. After this things went back to how they were before; lights on the front come on, no speaker beeps. Power cycled many times to no avail. I unplugged the motherboard, but not the floppy drive and then the floppy drive powered on fine. Then I plugged it back in, floppy drive didn't get powered again. Then I tried plugging in some other things to the power supply, like a couple of hard drives I don't care about. This got one more long beep out of it right after pressing the power button, and that's the last time I got it to make any noise. Additional power cycles had no beeps. At this point I'm split between either something being wrong with the power supply because of the weird behaviour with the floppy drive, or that I killed the motherboard, CPU, whatever. Since that power supply was old and I have no clue when it was last working I tried again with one I know was working fine recently. I'm at the same place I was at before with this one - the floppy drive only powers on when the P1 motherboard connector is unplugged, hard drive power on fine regardless. No beeps, one or two lights on the front are on (it varies, before only one would turn on when it seemingly started normally, now two do). So I'm wondering how this can be that the floppy drive connector seems to only work when one of the motherboard power cables is unplugged. I am fairly certain I have everything wired right, so I don't think that's the problem. I don't know much about electricity, so I'm guessing that's why this seems so random to me. Another thought I have had is that maybe this is some sort of safety mechanism from the power supply, since not all the connectors on the ATX pin are connected to something, only the ones I cut out of it and soldered to the connectors. I'm doubtful about this though, given that it still powers the hard drives.

Anyone care to enlighten me?
Apologies for my extreme naivety.

Reply 1 of 8, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What was the wattage output of the original power supply? What are the voltage outputs? The P1 connector may supply the voltage for the floppy drive controller, so consider trying with a different floppy drive.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is this a Deskpro/M series?

This computer does not use 3.3V wires.

Please post pictures of your homemade cable still plugged into the motherboard.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 8, by jamesN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The power supply is a Compaq PS2021, part number 184735-001. Various places online say it is 145W, although I don't believe it is specified on the PSU itself. Voltage outputs are +5V, +3.4V, +12V, -5V, -12V.

I'm not sure if it is a Deskpro/M, I think it might be, it just says Deskpro 466 on it, no XE, XL nothing. The power supply does say +3.4v on it, and the pinout I was referencing also said 3.4v. Perhaps this was my mistake, assuming it would be fine to use the 3.3v wires from the ATX PSU. Another thing I really should have mentioned was that I have nothing in the -5V pin, since it seems that modern ATX PSUs don't have one. I did read that -5V is only used by the ISA bus and even then only by some cards, so I thought it would be alright. Maybe I'm a fool, and that is not true of this motherboard.

The pinout I referenced was as follows:

P1 connector (9 pins) : +12V, -12V, -5V, GND, GND, GND, +5V, +5V, +5v
P2 connector (8 pins): GND, GND, GND, +3.4V, +3.4V, +3.4V, GND

From http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/Compaq_Prolinea575.htm

I did buy a multimeter and checked the voltages on all the pins, and I may have found a problem. All the 5V pins report 4.93V, all the 3.4V pins report 3.34V, but the +12V pin reports +12.4V and the -12V pin reports -11.3V. I know there can be some variance either due to the PSU or the multimeter's calibration, but those last two seem like they might vary a bit (maybe a lot) more than they should.

As for pictures of the cable it's quite a mess and you probably will have a hard time tracing which wire soldered to which, I did a bad job and they are all tangled up. This is what the connectors look like normally though
http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/images/PS2021.jpg

Last edited by jamesN on 2023-08-20, 14:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 8, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My suggestion to you is to repair the power supply itself. These power supplies usually have two/three regulators, a bunch of caps and a protection circuit. And remember you have to connect something to the power supply before testing it with a multimeter.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 5 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make sense this time. I was not sure.

The second set of plugs to the right is unknown. Only way is open up the power supply and see if you can get labelled voltages on these wires for each color.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 8, by jamesN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I opened it up and didn't see any labelled voltages, unfortunately. I know it says ??? next to every GND on the second connector on that website, but I saw one person say they used this pinout and they reposted it exactly as it was on that website. They had a Prolinea, though, but the power supply and connectors are the exact same. I know, anecdotal but still. Also the original PSU was definitely a problem, one of the capacitors was leaking a lot. Glad it didn't start smoking or go up in flames while I was using it.

At this point I think I probably damaged the motherboard or something, since like I said it seemingly worked fine for a while then completely stopped working. While I initially thought that maybe by some chance the power supply I was using as a replacement failed too, this second one gets me to the exact same point. One of the LEDs on the front still light up, sometimes two will, but no speaker beeps. After some time of the PSU being on the CPU heatsink and various ICs on the board do get a bit warm though, so I really don't know.

At this point I'm considering just getting a new motherboard and trying to reuse the CPU and RAM in the current one. If I get one with a normal AT connector I should be able to just use an ATX to AT adapter and not have to deal withproprietary connectors anymore.

Only other thing I can think of is that I did a bad job of soldering and maybe I have some cold solder joints...

Reply 7 of 8, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Prolinea 5100e that I powered on with an ATX psu just to test. It posted but I didn't try anything further as the connections were really sketch and I didn't want to push my luck. I have 2 compaq psu's that are dead but I do have a Presario 9660 Tower I can test the pin out on as it works just fine.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 8, by jamesN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting, thanks for showing that. Unfortunately things aren't looking too good: Re: NEC PC-9821An: My crazy Japanese Socket 5 machine

and it's also known that if you use a CPU upgrade that grabs voltage from a floppy drive connector you can actually burn out the motherboard due to how the PSU regulates itself when it's not having 3.3v drawn from it.

Been looking at getting a PC98 and came across this post. Different system of course, but that bit about the floppy drive is concerning - mine has issues with the floppy drive being not being powered when the motherboard is plugged in - implying that it might indeed draw power from the floppy connector.. although at the same time probably not? since it's not like the floppy drive is plugged into the CPU.. just the floppy drive. Does anyone know anything about this? Sorry if this is something obvious that I should know