VOGONS

First post, by copper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a DVD duplicator from Goodwill, took out the DVD drives, and made a Greaseweazle box with floppy drives I stripped from a dying Packard Bell Force SX20 somebody gave me.

IMG_7023.jpeg
Filename
IMG_7023.jpeg
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This is a nice heavy duty case with a ton of screws (vibrations, I guess). It has a built in power supply with a floppy connector (surprise) and SATA power connectors, so I got a SATA to Molex adapter because I wasn't sure if I wanted to cut the original cables. It also has a case fan so I can do floppy things 24/7. There is just enough room for both drives.

I had to drill a hole in the back with a hole saw for the USB panel mount. Rather than remove the power supply from the case, I masked off the area behind the hole with tape to catch the metal shavings.

The original control panel sticks up in a triangle and is annoying. I tried to 3d print a flat black panel with the Greaseweazle logo for the hole where the control panel was, but it looked terrible and I was getting glue everywhere, so I went with a leftover iPad screen protector instead. It lays over the inside with a small block of wood to support it and some tape. Unfortunately you can't see the drive spindle moving back and forth.

Total cost < $100.

IMG_7019.jpg
Filename
IMG_7019.jpg
File size
70.16 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_7018.jpg
Filename
IMG_7018.jpg
File size
59.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_6986.jpg
Filename
IMG_6986.jpg
File size
78.51 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

BOM:

- ZipSpin D121-L-S C-121-Pro CD/DVD Disc Duplicator (Goodwill)
- Greaseweazle V4 in case (Ebay)
- Panasonic JU-475-4 5.25" 1.2MB floppy drive (from the Packard Bell)
- Panasonic 3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive, don't remember the model (from PB)
- Slim floppy cable (from PB, this is the perfect cable for this with one of each kind of connector)
- 1 x USB B Round Panel Mount Extension Cable (Adafruit)
- StarTech.com 3.5" to 5.25" Front Bay Mounting Bracket (Amazon)
- SATA to LP4 Power Cable Adapter (Amazon)
- 9.7" iPad glass screen protector
- some cables
- a piece of balsa wood
- electrical tape, double sided tape, gaffer's tape

Last edited by copper on 2023-08-27, 07:18. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by TuesdaysGone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh wow! That is sweet! Now I want one! 😀

Looks awesome and great job!

Best wishes,

Tony.

ASUS P2B-F 440BX BIOS Rev. 1014 Beta 003
Intel "Katmai" Pentium III 450Mhz
256MB, 80GB, Epson SD-800 Combo FD, Voodoo Banshee 16MB, SB Live, CT7160 MPEG-2 PCI Decoder, 3Com 3C905B-TX PCI NIC, Iomega Zip 100, Creative PC-DVD, Sony CDRW, Win 98SE

Reply 2 of 2, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very Nice. I've been thinking of switching my Greaseweazle to one of the combo 3.5/5.25 drives but I kinda like not needing an external power supply with just the 3.5 drive. I 3d printed a case i found on thingiverse for mine.