VOGONS

help slow boot

Topic actions

First post, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so i have this motherboard https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pcpart … pci-r#downloads

the vlb version when it tries to boot in to dos 6.22 its super slow takes like 45 sec to complete booting in to dos .
what i tried so far is jumper on turboswitch ,difrent cpu ,turning off on external and internal cache ,flash another bios ,remove cache ,change cf card ,change cf card adapter
normal isa io and vga card ,difrent cables ,real hdd , change other bios settings there is nothing else i can think off
i double chekked the jumpers they all look correct
there is a unix jumper not shure what it means so i left it the way it is .iam lost what to do
the stock bios is ami i flashed another bios dont remember the name anymore but has energy logo

https://youtube.com/shorts/TkADSCl2wIo?si=_0BZJzfmpBBBHGAX

iam lost

Reply 1 of 43, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, one obvious solution would be to disable the himem memory testing by editing config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF

However, this would probably just mitigate the effect, not fix the actual root cause. So, ideally, you should try and identify what is causing this slowdown.

For starters:
1. How much system memory are you running, and do you actually need all of it?
2. Is your system speed in line with what is expected from a DX4-100? (i.e.: running a few of the "usual suspect" benchmarks would be good)
3. Are there any other peripherals in your system that have the potential to cause weird incompatibilities?

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 2 of 43, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

oke i think i found my problem 32mb is just to much i tested with 4/8 and 16 mb and 8mb is the sweet spot ,but wierd thing is if i hook up the turbo connector it wont boot in to dos it says no os install etc etc when i remove the turbo switch it works fine turbo switch is not realy needed

Reply 4 of 43, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

games run realy slow i did couple of test and it showes l1 is active but games run slow ,when u put a jumper on the turbo switch dos wont load ,i tried with difrent cpus same thing super slow ingame and testing

Reply 5 of 43, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i did some testing with a 486 100mhz and sx

Attachments

Reply 6 of 43, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Attachments

Reply 7 of 43, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Attachments

Reply 8 of 43, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Attachments

Reply 10 of 43, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something is seriously wrong with that system. I've a 286 that gets 18 in Norton and 38MHz in Landmark. Also a 486 DLC 40 which shows 65 in Norton and 167 in Landmark.

Even with the CPU cache disabled you should be way faster.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 12 of 43, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

32mb might collide with VLB graphic card if it wants to map its linear buffer at standard 15-16MB window, requires setting in bios
why did you change bios? all troubles might be caused by wrong bios for the board
another option is some jumper mismatch
0.0 seek time tells me you use CF card? might not like faster busclock

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 13 of 43, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i changed bios just for testing see what would happen ! yes iam using a cf card but i also tested with a real HDD same problem
i tested with 4/8 and 16mb ram 16 is to slow booting so 8mb is the sweeet spot
after dinner wil chek the jumpers again
i found out they solderd a 10k smd resistor on 2 legs of the cache not shure why
the test showes i have 256kb of external cache
wil keep you guys up to date

Reply 14 of 43, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Out of curiosity... can you post a photo of the mainboard and indicate which one of those is the turbo button connector?
edit: nevermind, had another look at the TRW page and found it 😀
and,
speedsys is a nice test. ( n )

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 15 of 43, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

problem solved the motherboard does not support 100mhz cpus and more than 16mb of ram !
the person before me installed a dx4 100mhz and 32mb of ram the system worked but superr slow !
now i have installed a 50mhz dx2 thats all i have and 8mb of ram and its fast and stable and the turbo switch is also working perfect
did couple of bench test all good

Attachments

Reply 16 of 43, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Will you post a photo, front & back, of the dx4 cpu ?
fyi, a 100MHz cpu is just a triple clocked 33MHz one.
and The manual mentions the mainboard supports 16MB simm modules, both 30 pin & 72 pin as well as dx4 cpu support on both the VL and VL/PCI version.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 17 of 43, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wel i found the pc with the 100mhz it works but when turbo is active it says no dos installed and acts very strange /when i remove the turbo jumper it works but superr slow !!
but the manual clearly says 66max support

Attachments

Reply 19 of 43, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't.
your dx4 cpu says 3volt.
I do not see any VRM on your mainboard, nor any option for it, nor any mention of support for 3v cpus in the manual.

edit: the max FSB supported by the mainboard might very well be 66MHz. but the DX4 cpu only has an FSB of 33MHZ, same as a DX2 or a DX running at 33MHz
a DX running at 50MHz has an FSB of 50MHz and might (likely will) cause some annoyances with the use of VLB cards.

Do not ask Why !