VOGONS

First post, by nuvyi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Hello. I'm looking for options for DOS but to be able to slow down the processor to 386 and 486 level. And what PCI sound cards are best for a thin client, given that the those does not have SB Link?

Reply 1 of 3, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The HP T5710 is usually recommended for thin client DOS gaming. However, I can't remember if you can disable the cache on it or not. This one also has a PCI slot. Do you really need that PCI slot? If you can find a small PCI sound card, you'd still need to mod the thin client for it to fit and to make the outputs readily available. Thin clients are fun, but they have their limitations. You might be better off using one that supports sound with a TSR. Why do you want a thin client? If you just want something small, you could go with a laptop. They also have their limitations, but you can find old laptops with Pentium MMX CPUs and DOS Sound Blaster compatibility. Those would give you the ability to slow down the CPU and DOS sound.

Here's Phil's page on the thin client I mentioned:

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/hp-t5710.html

Reply 2 of 3, by nuvyi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-08-28, 19:36:

The HP T5710 is usually recommended for thin client DOS gaming. However, I can't remember if you can disable the cache on it or not. This one also has a PCI slot. Do you really need that PCI slot? If you can find a small PCI sound card, you'd still need to mod the thin client for it to fit and to make the outputs readily available. Thin clients are fun, but they have their limitations. You might be better off using one that supports sound with a TSR. Why do you want a thin client? If you just want something small, you could go with a laptop. They also have their limitations, but you can find old laptops with Pentium MMX CPUs and DOS Sound Blaster compatibility. Those would give you the ability to slow down the CPU and DOS sound.

Here's Phil's page on the thin client I mentioned:

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/hp-t5710.html

OK if I have to leave the enclosure open to fit the card, and as for laptops I don't like them. I think Phil mentioned that you can't slow down the processor on this model 🙁

Reply 3 of 3, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What exactly don't you like about laptops though? Your thin client options are going to be extremely limited given that you are looking for both a CPU that you can slow down and a PCI slot. You could also find the former in an early tablet with a PII in it, but you'll be missing out on the PCI slot. You also have to consider availability. If there is a perfect thin client that meets both requirements, it will probably be expensive.