VOGONS

First post, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get this Windows XP 32-bit Battlestation running before I break down and buy another GPU.

Before I get into this post, I am looking for suggestions on a good GPU to pair with this PC in case it comes to that (which I think it may).

-- Motherboard = NVIDIA Nforce 680i SLI

-- CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 SLB9L 3.33Ghz 6MB (Also have a E6850 that I haven't tried yet).

-- GPU = XFX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 648M 16GB DDR3.

-- RAM = ADATA DDR2 800 (I think, don't have it next to me. It came with the MOBO).

-- PSU = EVGA 750 Watt Bronze.

----------
----------

ISSUE:

The system powers on. All fans spin (CPU, GPU, & Case). I am using a DVI/HDMI cable on a 2k Acer Predator. The monitor recognizes the system was powered on. It comes out of sleep, but nothing appears on the screen. I receive one short beep upon powering on. Maybe 1 second long maximum. Pretty sure it's a normal POST beep. System powers off after maybe 1 minute of inactivity.

I will also mention that this Nforce motherboard had 1 slightly bulging capacitor on it when I picked it up off eBay. It was sold as working, but I didn't get around to getting this PC together until after the return window. I did relace the cap with a new one of the correct type. The rest of the MOBO looks clean as far as caps and traces are concerned.

I have not opened up the GPU to inspect the caps. I will likely open it up and take a peek soon if I can't resolve this.

----------
----------

POST CODES:

7F (GPU in slot 1) = POST error check / Check POST error & display them and ask for user intervention.

5D (GPU in Slot 2) = Onboard I/O Init / Initializing onboard superIO.

01 (if I hold "insert" and press delete on boot. = Reserved.

----------
----------

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:

1. Tried both sticks of RAM individually in every single slot.

2. Tried two different DVI/HDMI cables.

3. Tried both DVI ports on the GPU.

4. The HDMI port on my Acer monitor works. I use it daily.

5. I completely disconnected the Hard Drive and DVD-Rom drive.

6. I reset the CMOS (many times). Part of the issue may be that the Nforce manual has a mistake, and does not say what pins the CMOS Jumper should be on to operate. I assume it is 2 & 3. I tried clearing by moving the jumper, and by also pulling it off completely, along with the battery, and powering on, Then turning it off & pulling the plug. Then back on again.

Here is a link to the manual (page 28 of the manual is the CMOS): https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/122-ck-nf63.pdf

Reply 1 of 10, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isolate gpu as culprit:

Remove gpu from system, and use it in a known working test bench.

It's possible the monitor does not like the refresh rate. If you have a sync/scan converter, try using it. If you have an old crt, try using it.

I had a similar problem with an hdmi SBC, that did not fully conform to spec. Only works on some monitors, or with some other device interposing device (5.1 surround head unit, et al) in line to massage the signal.

The so called DVI from the card might not actually be dvi.

Some cards output vga on the legacy pins in the dvi connector, but not actual dvi. Modern dvi->hdmi cables expect digital dvi signals, and will get a whole lot of nothing from such cards. This is why I suggest testing with analog capable monitors or interposing devices.

Reply 2 of 10, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to test this today with an old LCD monitor that only has DVI and VGA ports. Turns out I don't have a dedicated DVI cable. I do live 5 min from Microcenter though. Would picking up a new DVI/DVI cable be worth trying on that old monitor?

I also have my current gaming PC running a ROG Corsair Hero VIII wifi. Would it be worth testing on that with my DVI/HDMI cable, or on that Hero rig via SVideo?

Reply 5 of 10, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did a little research at work tonight. Looks like the card originally came with a DVI to HDMI adapter in the box. This would mean my DVI/HDMI cables should work if the GPU is not broke, correct?

Reply 6 of 10, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well as you only have a PSU and cables, a motherboard, a CPU and cooler and a graphics card then you are going to have to swap something out to see what the problem is.

Any video card would do, just to see if theres an output.

Reply 7 of 10, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-09-01, 18:25:

Well as you only have a PSU and cables, a motherboard, a CPU and cooler and a graphics card then you are going to have to swap something out to see what the problem is.

Any video card would do, just to see if theres an output.

I have a Voodoo 3, and 2080. I'll give those a shot and see if anything happens.

Reply 8 of 10, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, little update. Opened up this GPU today. First thing I noticed, is that all the small screws that secure the GPU are missing. Looks like the card was opened in the past. I took it apart, cleaned it, and applied new thermal paste. All the caps look good. Cleaned the edge connector as well. No luck getting it to boot.

I tried my 2080 in the rig, and immediately received a prompt to connect the power cables to the GPU. Guess I forgot to do that. Good thing, cause after connecting the power cables, I got no video.

Looks like the GPU is dead.

I wanted to try my Voodoo3, but it's an AGP card.

Guess I will have to break down and buy another GPU. If anyone has some suggestions, I would appreciate.

Reply 10 of 10, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ati 4870 1gb gddr5 would go well with that system. Dead GPU more bother than its worth especially xfx cards

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"