VOGONS

First post, by Nekome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, folks! I'm trying to resurrect my old 286 from my college years. The problem that has me stumped is that it doesn't seem to remember it has a hard drive.

System details:

• Leading Technology, Inc. 5000AT
  • CHIPS 451 VGA BIOS Version 211
  • Phoenix 80286 ROM BIOS PLUS Version 3.10
  • 5.25", 3.5", and hard drive which should be drives A:, B:, and C:

Switch it on and I get the "Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program" message.

Pressing F1 gets me "No boot device available - strike F1 to retry boot". It should be booting from the hard drive.

I don't have a SETUP disk. Searching for solutions led me to a couple threads here mentioning GSETUP. I've copied that onto a 3.5" disk. But my current problem is that I can't get the computer sufficiently booted for me to run it.

I do have a set of MS-DOS disks that came with it. The INSTALL disk works, but the installation program eventually wants to write a set of floppies.

Earlier in the process it mentions installing to a fixed disk as an option:

IMG_0407.JPG
Filename
IMG_0407.JPG
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

But when I get to the actual writing part, it specifically asks for 360KB disks and instructs me to put one in drive B: (the 3.5" drive). I put in a blank 3.5" floppy, and get this:

IMG_0409.JPG
Filename
IMG_0409.JPG
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Other diskettes from that pack have been fine, and I've tried a couple of different blank ones, so I think the problem is just it's the wrong kind of disk.

As for the hard drive, when I switch the power on, the HDD light comes on and I hear the expected noise while the computer is running its initial checks. I don't hear anything or see the light flicker when it's looking for something to boot from.

I took a look inside the case but didn't see any obvious problems. Everything's still attached and looking remarkably clean.

In addition to what looks like a full set of 5.25" MS-DOS floppies, I have two other disks that I believe originally came with the computer, labeled "5000AT Utilities" and "HyperDOS[tm] 2.0b". Neither can boot the computer.

Any ideas for how to proceed?

Reply 1 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it have an AMI bios like the 5500AT ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 19, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not a shock that it forgot about the HDD. That would be expected as soon as the CMOS battery died.

Some of those old Phoenix BIOSes in fact have a SETUP in ROM, but the keyboard shortcut is very tricky. It's Ctrl+Alt+Enter or Alt+Ctrl+Enter or some variant thereof and you can't do it during the memory test like most BIOSes. Instead it has to be done later, when it's trying to boot DOS.

If it lacks SETUP in ROM you'll have to use an external SETUP program, but in any case you must figure out what the right parameters for your HDD are. Have a model number or anything?

Reply 3 of 19, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it has forgotten settings then that means the bios battery has lost its charge... If it has lost its charge then it's also quite likely that it may have started to leak - open the case up and check for leakage around the battery; they can easily destroy the motherboard!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 5 of 19, by Nekome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-09-03, 20:59:

Some of those old Phoenix BIOSes in fact have a SETUP in ROM, but the keyboard shortcut is very tricky. It's Ctrl+Alt+Enter or Alt+Ctrl+Enter or some variant thereof and you can't do it during the memory test like most BIOSes. Instead it has to be done later, when it's trying to boot DOS.

Do those keys need to be pressed individually in some order?

Pressing them together delayed (or seemed to?) the "Strike the F1 key to continue" appearing after "Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program", but didn't get me into BIOS setup.

If it lacks SETUP in ROM you'll have to use an external SETUP program, but in any case you must figure out what the right parameters for your HDD are. Have a model number or anything?

I do after opening the case again to check: Seagate ST351 A/X. Do I need to know anything more than these specs?

Last edited by Nekome on 2023-09-03, 23:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 19, by Nekome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2023-09-03, 21:59:

If it has forgotten settings then that means the bios battery has lost its charge... If it has lost its charge then it's also quite likely that it may have started to leak - open the case up and check for leakage around the battery; they can easily destroy the motherboard!

I don't see anything like that. As I said, it's all in remarkably good condition inside.

Reply 7 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nekome wrote on 2023-09-03, 23:26:

Do those keys need to be pressed individually in some order?

Pressing them together delayed (or seemed to?) the "Strike the F1 key to continue" appearing after "Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program", but didn't get me into BIOS setup.

Yes you press and hold each one, like Ctrl-Alt-Del for a reboot. If AMI is typically just DEL key, Phoenix can also be CTRL+ALT+S. F2 or many things.
Added: I attached Phoenix setup 3v for 286's. Unzip to a bootable floppy and try it
Note: Most 286's do not need a setup disk....

I do after opening the case again to check: Seagate ST351 A/X. Do I need to know anything more than these specs?

No you need more info for the HD, example: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/ … -SL-IDE-AT.html
Ok that HD has C-H-S: 904-2-17 native and 820-6-17 translated which is what you would use, if the BIOS has drive types then it needs set to one that is equal to one of those set of numbers...
Type 40 if AMI 286 bios or Type 44 if Phoenix 286 bios. (https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/hdtypes/hdtypes-3.html)
If the batteries for the CMOS are dead then the BIOS will reset to certain defaults, usually drive type 1 on older motherboards. Does the 5000AT have a battery pack with 3 or 4 AA batteries ?
Most of the early Leading Technology/ PC Partners/Vtechs used a 3 AA battery pack not an on board battery, but not all.
Can you post a picture of the inside of the case ?

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 19, by Nekome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-09-04, 01:18:

Can you post a picture of the inside of the case ?

Certainly! If you want a more detailed shot of anything, let me know.

The expansion card sitting loose at the upper right is a modem which was added a year or so after the computer was purchased and which I have just removed for now. Everything else is original.

IMG_0414.jpg
Filename
IMG_0414.jpg
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 9 of 19, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No battery to be seen on the right side of the case - check under the hard drive/floppy/PSU side of the case.

You will either have a soldered on ni-cad cell, which likes to leak or a flying lead to a couple of AA or AAA cells in a small external module. Both can cause problems, so check and remove, clean up any issues and then replace.

Reply 10 of 19, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In fact, that battery "warning" label makes me think you have a couple of cells tucked under the floppy drive. Check those - they are almost certainly flat and accessing the bios to change any value back will be pointless unless those settings can be stored.

With any luck being not on the motherboard they won't have leaked and you can just source a couple of replacements.

Reply 11 of 19, by Locutus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I'm 99% sure your BIOS does not have build in setup program so "pressing key combinations' will not work.
Check my thread:
(SOLVED) 286 "CHIPS" mainboard with missing parts...
Most likely you have similar / same version of BIOS.

But FIRST OF ALL check the battery (if it leaks, damage to the PCB is inevidable !!!) .
As mentioned above it is probably 'hidden under' HDD/FDD.

Reply 12 of 19, by Nekome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, could this be the battery we're looking for?

IMG_0415.JPG

It's tucked under the overhang of the 5.25" drive. It's connected to a spot on the motherboard labeled "JP2 BATTERY".

The model number is TL-5242/W, which appears to mean it's a lithium battery. Still sound plausible?

(Sorry about the tiny baby steps here, this is a level of electronic detail I've never explored before.)

Reply 13 of 19, by Locutus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nekome wrote on 2023-09-05, 00:40:
Actually, could this be the battery we're looking for? IMG_0415.JPG It's tucked under the overhang of the 5.25" drive. It's con […]
Show full quote

IMG_0415.JPG
It's tucked under the overhang of the 5.25" drive. It's connected to a spot on the motherboard labeled "JP2 BATTERY".
The model number is TL-5242/W, which appears to mean it's a lithium battery. Still sound plausible?
(Sorry about the tiny baby steps here, this is a level of electronic detail I've never explored before.)

Yup, If your MB lost CMOS settings, most likely your battery is drained.
Just measure its voltage and you will know 😉

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/ta … L-5242-W/512528

Reply 14 of 19, by Nekome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nekome wrote on 2023-09-05, 00:40:

Argh, somewhere along the way the actual photo got lost. Trying again here...

IMG_0415.JPG
Filename
IMG_0415.JPG
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 15 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep that is the battery pack, it is listed as Lithium non-rechargable so it will be most likely be dead (if below about 2.9-3.0 volts it will not keep the settings, same with a new board), it can also be replaced by a 3xAA cell simple type with non-recharable batteries.

Last edited by Horun on 2023-09-05, 02:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 19, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some old 286 systems cheaped out on the bios by not including the setup program in rom.

The simtel archive had/has a useful program, called gsetup31.zip (In sysutil)

It stands for 'generic AT setup'

You need a bootable dos diskette, but that's fine.

CMOS data is fairly standardized*, so generic setup might work.

*there are some caveats with certain makers/models of system. IBM's ps/1 and ps/2 lines especially, or anything eisa. If this us a bog-standard 286 clone, gsetup should be fine.

Reply 17 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah there are dozen or so old setup utils, I posted v3.3 from Phoenix for Phoenix. There is also a v4.03 from Phoenix for Phoenix...

Reply 18 of 19, by Nekome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found a place to order a fresh battery from. Installed it. The old battery pack looks nice and clean with no leakage at all.

No change in the error messages on startup. Running the MS-DOS install again, managed to find my way out of it to a prompt!

Put the disk with GSETUP in the 3.5" drive, and the computer thinks it's blank.

I can't remember if this computer originally could use 1.44MB disks or if it needed 720KB ones. But could putting a high-density disk in a drive that expected lower-density ones cause that?

Reply 19 of 19, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes-- it would give you the "Disk not formatted" / "General failure reading drive A:" error.

GSETUP will comfortably fit on a 360k diskette, so if you put tape over the little window on the 1.44mb diskette, and format it as 720K (IN A 720K DRIVE!!), then copy it on, it should work just fine.