VOGONS

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello friends!

I prepared a super-quick survey on retrocomputing that will engage you and stir your dreams and memories...

I'd be very grateful if you could fill it, and extremely curious to see your answers!

(EDIT: Survey Monkey wants money for collecting more than 10 surveys, so I re-made it on Survey Planet)
https://s.surveyplanet.com/ik5gyedg

Enjoy!

And thank you again.

pJ5e39M.jpeg

Last edited by aries-mu on 2023-09-06, 11:50. Edited 3 times in total.

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 49, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting 😀
About the first question: maybe that can differ for hardware and software. A collector would probably prefer the original if available but a 'user' would prefer the new one. What if you are a collector of software but only a user when it comes to hardware?

Reply 2 of 49, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2023-09-06, 08:48:

Interesting 😀
About the first question: maybe that can differ for hardware and software. A collector would probably prefer the original if available but a 'user' would prefer the new one. What if you are a collector of software but only a user when it comes to hardware?

Thank you!

I kind of addressed that in the subsequent question. Do you think it is sufficient?

Reply 3 of 49, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Assume that today, in 2023, factories decided to start making again the IT products (hardware, pieces of equipment, and software) that existed in the 80s-90s: Computers, PC components, cases, CPUs, motherboards, cards, peripherals, software, all of them and everything."

Why to assume what will never happen? 🙂

Reply 4 of 49, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One thing I miss from the questions, and without that I'm unable to answer any of them is price. I would 100% prefer an identical hardware or software manufactured recently over one that was manufactured 30 years ago and has an unknown history, for the same price. But if I had to pay brand new price (adjusted for inflation) or a premium for small scale manufacturing, then I'd get the old one.

There are a lot of retro hardware projects, brand new parts for retro hardware, but I just find most of them too expensive for what they are.

I also like some of the modern conveniences. Like easily replaceable coin cell batteries instead of soldered in leaky Vartas or Dallas chips. Sure, on a brand new motherboard they wouldn't be a problem for years, but still.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 6 of 49, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-09-06, 09:40:

One thing I miss from the questions, and without that I'm unable to answer any of them is price. I would 100% prefer an identical hardware or software manufactured recently over one that was manufactured 30 years ago and has an unknown history, for the same price. But if I had to pay brand new price (adjusted for inflation) or a premium for small scale manufacturing, then I'd get the old one.

There are a lot of retro hardware projects, brand new parts for retro hardware, but I just find most of them too expensive for what they are.

I also like some of the modern conveniences. Like easily replaceable coin cell batteries instead of soldered in leaky Vartas or Dallas chips. Sure, on a brand new motherboard they wouldn't be a problem for years, but still.

Good points!!! Thanks, I'm modifying the survey...

So to answer your points:

1) Assume the price of the new replica is identical to the corresponding original old product you'd find in the used market
2) Yes: Improvements on obvious vulnerabilities that are universally recognized (such as the problem of the soldered batteries on motherboards) will be applied to the new replicas

konc wrote on 2023-09-06, 09:48:

Preparing a business plan? 😀

🤣!!!
You kidding! If I had the money, I'd certainly do that!

Reply 7 of 49, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-06, 11:27:

1) Assume the price of the new replica is identical to the corresponding original old product you'd find in the used market
2) Yes: Improvements on obvious vulnerabilities that are universally recognized (such as the problem of the soldered batteries on motherboards) will be applied to the new replicas

These are very important assumptions to this serious questionnaire!

As I pretty much answered there, if these new-old computers and stuff would indeed be available, I’d still like to use vintage parts as much as possible, if nothing else, then giving them a continued purpose instead of them getting recycled. And repairing stuff is part of my hobby nonethless.

However, in practice if you’d be able to get new and mint stuff from the online shop of your choice, then realistically I’d probably soon start first looking those interesting parts sold as new instead of making an effort to find them locally, ebay or whatnot. Ultimately I’m pretty lazy guy.

Reply 8 of 49, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CharlieFoxtrot wrote on 2023-09-06, 11:45:
These are very important assumptions to this serious questionnaire! […]
Show full quote
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-06, 11:27:

These are very important assumptions to this serious questionnaire!

As I pretty much answered there, if these new-old computers and stuff would indeed be available, I’d still like to use vintage parts as much as possible, if nothing else, then giving them a continued purpose instead of them getting recycled. And repairing stuff is part of my hobby nonethless.

However, in practice if you’d be able to get new and mint stuff from the online shop of your choice, then realistically I’d probably soon start first looking those interesting parts sold as new instead of making an effort to find them locally, ebay or whatnot. Ultimately I’m pretty lazy guy.

Thanks for your inputs!

Reply 9 of 49, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote on 2023-09-06, 09:48:

Preparing a business plan? 😀

You never know what uncle Elon is up to... he might stumble upon this and get itchy... 😁😎

Reply 10 of 49, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would love some new stuff for old systems like a socket 7 cpu with modern instructions

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 12 of 49, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisXF wrote on 2023-09-06, 15:16:

I'm eagerly awaiting Sergey's new 486 board I think he's working on right now.

Wait what? What's this? Is this what I think it is???? 😳 Please!!!!!

Reply 13 of 49, by ChrisXF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-06, 15:19:

All looks very, very early stage, but my fingers are crossed:

https://github.com/skiselev/sandy_river_486

Reply 14 of 49, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am not much of a hardware collector, so maybe others would feel differently. I don't have any parts I keep in the original packaging and if I buy something I plan to use it (even if many times I actually don't 😜).

I am not sentimentally attached to the history of the item. I bought an Orpheus II for my DOS PC. I use midi emulation even when I play on original hardware. I would prefer new parts to old stock assuming all else equal.

Reply 15 of 49, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisXF wrote on 2023-09-06, 15:21:
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-06, 15:19:

All looks very, very early stage, but my fingers are crossed:

https://github.com/skiselev/sandy_river_486

Oh my goodness!!!! All the very best to our friend Sergey!!!!

Wait a second... ATX? Would an ATX mobo fit in an old AT case?

Reply 17 of 49, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It happened with cars. There was a time where I was seriously considering buying a reproduction unibody for my Camaro because it had enough rust that it would have had to have been stripped to bare metal and repaired on a rotisserie. That would have entailed an exhaustive search for someone who had excellent sheetmetal skills, and they aren't easily found, and can have years long backlogs of work. But my Camaro was destroyed in the fire, so I no longer worry about how I'm going to fix it.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 18 of 49, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The survey seems to miss the obvious. Why would anyone buy a repro for THE SAME PRICE as you can buy an original?

If the repros were significantly cheaper then I’d get it, but the pieces of hardware I’d want to buy repros of are bits you can’t find unless spending thousands or tens of thousands of (insert currency here).

I can’t fill in the survey as it assumes that if I wouldn’t buy repro hardware at its existing price, I wouldn’t buy it at a lower one.

Reply 19 of 49, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I already buy and use modern recreations of vintage hardware, so nothing would change there.

If there were modern recreations of old cases or CRT monitors, I'd buy those in a heartbeat. Those would be number one on my wishlist.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards